Herpes Community
Herpes, or raw from rough sex?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes, or raw from rough sex?

Hello - I'm a 24-year-old woman who has made some pretty stupid mistakes in the past couple of days. About five or six days ago I had an unprotected (oral/vaginal) one-night stand with a man. Didn't notice anything wrong in the few days after. Then, I had sex three times (twice with a condom, once not) with another guy yesterday morning. It was pretty rough and long-lasting, without sufficient lubrication.

I was very raw and sore all day yesterday, beginning immediately after sex, which I attributed to the rough, dry sex...but I checked with a mirror last night to be sure. I found a very red strip/sore, irritated area of skin near the opening of my vagina, which to me sort of looks like a floor burn you'd get from playing volleyball or basketball. But of course I am very concerned it could be herpes, particularly from Guy No. 1.

I'm going to the doctor this evening to get checked out, but I'd just like some opinions in the meantime. Can rough, dry sex cause the kind of sore/raw skin I'm describing? Thanks!
Yes, rough/dry sex can cause abrasions, but you are right to have it professionally evaluated.

Have you ever been tested for herpes prior to this? Any chance that you could ask the guy(s) in question about their status?
Thanks for your response! I have never had a blood test, but I've been checked out many, many times with the same concern - particular during my freshman year in college. Many of the doctors look at me like I was crazy when I told them I was concerned, but I've remained somewhat worried about it since I've never had a definitive diagnosis other than "Nope, that's not herpes, you're fine."

I texted the first guy this morning to tell him I'm getting tested and to ask if I should be concerned about STDs, and he said "No. Definitely not." The other guy said he was screened tested negative for STDs just a month ago (not sure if that included herpes). So that makes me feel better, but you can never be sure...
typically herpes is not a part of routine std testing. odds are that none of your past partners have ever been tested for it.  

certainly since you've never been tested for herpes before, it's well worth seeking out a type specific herpes igg blood test to see what your status is 3 months after the 2nd encounter.  it's part of being sexually responsible!

stop back and update us on how your appointment went :)

grace