Herpes Expert Forum
Herpes? Additional Testing? Seeking Direction

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

27 year old male, had unprotected vaginal sex 20 days ago. Around day 14, began to have a clear/whitish discharge from penis throughout day. By end of day could see stains on boxers. Discharge had unpleasant odor. Discharge continued for a total of about two and half days. During this time, experienced what I perceived to be an increase in urination, at times sensitivity/burning in tip of penis and in urethra after urination or when walking around, some patches of redness around the tip and on the head of the penis. Woke up in middle of night with cold sweats but no sustained fever.

After 2 and a half days, discharge appeared to subside on its own, no further discharge (that i noticed) after this. Other symptoms also appeared to improve/less noticeable but not completely gone.

Even though discharhe stopped, got STD testing for chlamydia, gonorrhea, HIV, syphilis. At time of testing, was prescribed a one dose, 1 gram of Zpack. Prescription appears to be working although discharge had stopped prior to taking it.

Subsequently, all my STD tests came back negative. Here are my questions:

1) Given that STD testing was negative, is there some concern that this discharge could be related to first exposure to genital herpes?  There seems to be contradictory information everywhere whether penile discharge could be related to a herpes infection. Would it be uncommon to have discharge without sores or be so shortlived? Is a blood test necessary?

2) Is it uncommon for discharge to clear up on its own after only roughly 2 and a half days? Any idea what this indicates?

3) Lastly, what should be my next step? Since all tests were negative, still have no answer as to what caused this. Since discharge appears to have subsided on own prior to medication, no real assurance that issue is resolved. Is it worth seeking out a urologist? Or is there not much they will be able to do now that I took the medication? Any idea on the discharge?

Thanks so much for your help.
I"m not really worried about herpes in this situation, especially with the odor, but you might need 2 grams of metronidazole to treat for possible trich.  I would strongly recommend that you return to your provider and describe your symptoms and the odor and ask about the possibility of needing treatment for trich.  

Did you notice any odor in the female you had sex with?

Terri
Update: This morning noticed some minor discharge while I was at work, other symptoms minimal.. 21 days out from the unprotected event and 2 days after taking 1 gram Z pack. Just wanted to provide in case this changes anything. Not sure if the prescription has worked.
Did not have a positive day today. Discharge appears to have returned. My gential (genital) area has a bad smell to it. No burning while urinating, but definitely pain and burning afterwards at times or when the tip of my penis rubs against my boxers. Starting to feel general itchiness, tingling, and some pain in groin/lower back (which admittedly could be mental). I am concerned about herpes, but still no visible sores that I can see. Are there any typical signs of herpetic urethritis? (I know all cases are different) How common is it for a first infection? Thanks again.
Thinking back, I would say the female did have a distinct smell but not necessarily an offensive one. She had mentioned that she had not been sexually active for awhile but I am not sure if that has any relevance. My scrotum is now red and the whole genital area just has an unnatural smell to it. The discharge tends to dissipate for long peiods of time as well as the other symptoms in and out. I have had some mild lower back pain off and on as well, not sure if that has any relevance. I have scheduled a visit with the urologist on Monday.
My scrotum is very sticky and sticks to my thighs. Would would cause the scrotum to become red? No real pain involved. The area is quite warm. However, again, no signs of sores. Certainly something doesn't seem right.
You may also have a fungal infection if the scrotum is red and sticky.  You are right, this doesn't sound right at all.  Glad you are seeing a urologist on Monday, very good move to get an accurate diagnosis.

Terri