Herpes All Over Body?
Hi! I was wondering if you could help me with a problem I've been having for a few months now. About five months ago, in April, I tested positive for having the HSV virus through my OBGYN. I had gone in for a pap-smear and for possible hormonal imbalance blood testing that I thought might have been causing small bumps on my lower buttocks/thigh area. The bumps were small-dime sized and itched, especially if I sat on one wrong. I had the bumps starting early in March and they lasted until April, but cleared up before I went to my gyno, and only scars were left. She then had me tested a month later, which is when I came back positive for HSV. She said that I had come in contact with the virus sometime in the past year, and it would be another year until we would be able to effectively test to see which strain I had. (HSV-1 or 2). I was devastated, but my partner was very reassuring and caring about the whole situation. Over the last 4-5 months I have felt like I have been dealing with this issue a LOT though. I have had two distinct "outbreaks" where I will get headaches/feverish before I "break out." But usually a breakout consists of itching ALL over the body and no rash besides between 15-25 spread out (all over the body) TINY bumps that look smaller than flea bites. Hardly noticeable. They never appear in clumps or groups like "normal" herpes pictures suggest. And mind you, I will be itchy for days ALL over my body. Head, ears, inside the nostrils, face, neck, behind the ears, vagina (internally and externally) chest, arms, stomach, back, buttocks, thighs (front and back), calves (front and back) and even top of feet. At the time I had been diagnosed with HSV, it had been a year since I had gotten Chicken Pox for the first time. My symptoms of break out seem to be VERY much like my chicken pox symptoms, just my bumps are not "blistery," as they look more like tiny bug bites. Most of the time I'm just itchy EVERYWHERE... the area may not have a bump on it at all!! I am constantly scratching. Recently, about a month ago I had an outbreak, and after it recovered a week and a half later I had another outbreak! Very frustrating. My question is, could this virus have more of a correlation with my Herpes Zoster virus? Could you test positive for HSV if it's the Herpes Zoster virus? Or do the tests detect two completely different things? If it was the Herpes Zoster virus, does this sound like the symptoms? I am almost 19, and I thought that adults with the Herpes Zoster virus got more of painful, shingle symptoms, not so much itchy, scattered bump, chickenpox like symptoms. Please let me know what you think! Or if you just think this is normal herpes spread all over my body. Or if it's possibly something else? Please let me know! Thanks!
do you know what herpes testing you had done?  no way to tell if you have been infected sometime in the past year and it certainly doesn't take another year to find out if you have hsv1 or hsv2. I'm very suspicious of the testing you had done. If it was blood testing, call tuesday and ask them to read your results to you, write them down and post them here - ie hsv1 igg 5.7 and hsv2 igg 2.3 or whatever they are.  

herpes will not cause issues all over your body.  you need to follow up on this with your provider or a dermatologist for a more proper evaluation.  also you could never mistake a herpes lesion for a flea bite.

zoster will not appear on this many body parts either.

grace
On my Lab Bill there is a list of all the tests they ran and the Herpes tests simply say "Herpes simplex I, each AB"  "Herpes simplex, type 2"  and "Herpes simplex II, each AB." My gyno called me personally to tell me the results but all she said was that I was positive. Would I call my gyno to find out the results? And what do those results mean? (hsv1 igg 5.7, etc.)

Does Herpes only occur in clusters? And couldn't it be spread to different areas of the body via your hands, or somebody else's hands?

I am appreciating the feedback!!
there are false positive issues so seeing the actual numeric results helps me figure out if you need additional testing done to confirm  your status. also we need to see if you had igg testing or not.  

no, herpes doesn't always occur in clusters. no you aren't likely at all to spread it all over your body via your hands.  
Alright, I will try to get the info from my gyno as soon as I can. What exactly is "igg" testing?
I also have itchiness all over the body exactly the way you describe.  It has been horrible and I haven't been able to sleep.  Nothing I take seems to help.
I think you should go get yourself checked out curemeplease! Do you have the red bumps symptoms? You should probably head to a doctor or planned parenthood and tell them your symptoms. How long have you been itching for?
i've been checked out several time now.  it all comes back to my hsv1 infection a few months back.  i've been plagued with problems.  but this is by far the worst.  i itch all over like you, including in the mouth and nose and ears.  i've been treated for bacteria and fungus but those haven't helped.  only herpes could cause this type of systemic itching with no relieif from antihistamines and antidepressants (elavil).  my itches last for a second or two then disappear.  i don't bother scratching since i know they will go away in a moment.
no, not only herpes can cause this. herpes isn't likely at all to cause these sorts of issues.  itching from herpes isn't only for a second or two either.

Grace, do you think this sounds like staph infection?
seeing a dermatologist at this point is the best course of action for better answers.
Hi just want to follow up the itchy all over symptoms after being diagnosed herpes simplex 2 (actually not confirmed yet). My herpes symptoms on the genital area went away in about 5 days after taking valtrex. Now I am having these bug bite type of itchy red bumps on my thighs mostly. They look and feel exactly like mosquito bites. Sometimes it itches around the genital area but no symptoms at all. I have been getting two each night at first I thought has an allergic reaction to valtrex but I am no longer on it. So I think it has to do w the virus. I will speak to the dr. Tomorrow and let you know.
have you ever heard of diseminated herpes?
Hi just to follow up. I did spoke to a specialist at mt gynecologist's and she said it was unlikely it was herpes to cause the red bumps on my thighs and calves nor the medication had caused a reaction. Next stop my dermatologist.

While being attacked by these itchy bumps I noticed two diff red bumps on my bottock and I could tell the diff. Because I am back on valtrex these bumps reduced almost within a day.

I will see if further symptoms of either kind develops.

I am suffering simmilar sympoms. Started with a colsore tingling on lip, then very painful. A day before that I felt very unwell feverish, headachand exhasted. Then the lip and that night the very bad pain you feel in a cold sore through my chin into my mouth through toung up along to of the roof of my mouth up my face through my nose eyes. Stinging pain very sore and tingling sensations. Then today felt very unwell extreemly tiered, feverish hot and cold, aches and pains, stingy itching on all different parts of the body, front and back af legs, head, neck, arms. the wors thing is the feeling so unwell and the pain.  
I have everything you are describing. I recently tested positive for herpes too. I have bumps all over arms and trunk. I am scared I could pass to my children. The anti viral is not helping! It's driving me crazy!! I have been married for 6 years and just broke out in the last month and tested positive?? I do not see how this is possible.
I'm having the same symptoms as well. I'm itching all over my body and little bumps appear that look like bug bites. I did allso have a sore throat and there was blisters in my throat and my lips were extremely chapped. My girl friend was told she had herpes from her doctor but we havnt gotten our test results back yet. Do the symptoms I'm having sound like herpes? I'm very worried please help if u can
any update as to what this actually was? was it all herpes related?
I'm another one who experiences these exact symptoms after being diagnosed with HSV 2, although my all over itching is much less severe, but the bumps itch and look like insect bites. So many of us with similar symptoms there must be something to it. Would be curious to know if anyone has any clarification about this. I asked a (straight out of uni) doctor and all they could say was "that's not herpes". I'm not convinced.
Your symptoms really don't sound like herpes. What they do sound like is hives. My dermatologist explained it this way - the way bug bites often work is that once you've had a bug bite, your body becomes susceptible to breaking out all over the body the very next time you get a bug bite. This was exactly what happened to me. She put me on an over the counter antihistamine (Claritin I think) for 3 weeks, and they went away. I suspect that if I'd started on them as soon as the hives started showing up, they would have been gone much sooner.

From reading all these comments and hearing how everyone has herpes, some form of it.  Id say this itching and bumps is from that.  The break down of the immune system.  When you have a break down of the immune system skin issues develop. Example once you have mersa you can have psoriasis.  This could be excema and rashes. Doctors really need to run more tests and study this better.  These diseases affect the immune system which triggers a lot in people and everyone differently depending how you fight it.  Even Aids you get sores, why? because the immune system is failing.  Boost it up when you have herpes,  HPv, Epstein bar virus with vitamins , exercise and no stress, symptoms go away, a no brainer. But have stress, eat poorly don't take care of yourself more symptoms.  
Did you start Valtrex suppression meds - hives is a recognised side effect.

I have tingling/prickly skin (maybe itchy on scalp) sensation on hands and head, all over the place for a few seconds. Valtrex side effects lists...

Allergic: Acute hypersensitivity reactions including anaphylaxis, angioedema, dyspnea, pruritus, rash, and urticaria

http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=2253

I think angioedema and pruritus are the ones to look at.
I can't work out if angioedema would cause the tingling/prickly sensation?
A general search for symptoms of allergic reaction (which I guess would include drug allergic reaction)...

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/allergy-basics

...allergens cause a whole-body allergic reaction that can include:
- Hives and itching all over (not just in the exposed area)
- Wheezing or shortness of breath
- Hoarseness or tightness in the throat
- Tingling in the hands, feet, lips or scalp

I experienced nausea, slight tightening of throat, faintness and unsteadiness, drowiness which is why I started looking at Caltrex side effects, only then did I see Valtrex allergic reaction might also explain tingling in face/scalp/hands.

I've had all these symptoms since starting Valtrex beginning of ob, but didn't even consider drug reaction as just worried/scared re possible presence of hsv in all these places if I am infectious to others in these places.

Omg I'm exhausted with all the reading I've done (and depressed/scared), I feel I'm floundering in the dark looking for explanations!!
it's hell
I have similar symptoms to you all.

I feel it is disseminated herpes but only affecting nerves and not organs (at least thus far).

Did anyone figure out what these pimples or bug bites are?  Did anyone get them swabbed?

I get them on my fingers, face, scap, mostly lower back, bum, thighs, calves.  I feel like I am a walking petrie dish.  Has anyone figured out what these are yet?  Any help or insight would be appreciated....I'm going crazy!
Yes! Thank you for your input!
This virus is most certainly evolving and causing much more than the regular symptoms would suggest.
I have recently been diagnosed with it (unfortunately from an inanimate object like a razor) which is also "unheard of" or "like getting stuck by lightening & winning the lottery on the same day" but after taking the medication to make the initial breakout below disappear, it seemed better.
I stopped taking the meds and went back to focusing on life, when about a month later (perhaps time for another breakout) of which i had only one sore below... i have had a rash all over me and spreading from within my skin whenever i scratch it for weeks now!
i took a steroid shot and pills thinking it was all poison ivy (of which i am also extremely allergic to).
And still the rash has not subsided, my skin is cracking from dryness and peeling and now my eye areas are getting swollen!
... about to go see if i can get a Zoster Shingles vaccine and if it does indeed lessen this side effect.. from which i am nearly positive is part of HSV-2. Therefore i consider myself extremely allergic to HSV2
I hv silimar symptoms likr ur with hsv. not taking medicine
Hi guys,
I have had HSV2 for approx 12 years, and on antivirals for most of that time. I also have been suffering the same condition as noted by others- an extremely itchy "rash" which resembles flea bites. It is all over the body and does not respond to antihistamines. Mine lasted for several weeks.
I think you have hit the nail on the head with IMMUNITY. My first episode of this rash was during the very stressful buildup to Christmas. At this time, I was also dealing with resignation and an international relocation.
After things settled down, I began taking care of myself again- eating better, exercising and getting more sleep- symptoms resolved completely.
With a stressful episode over the weekend and a lapse of all habits, the rash is once again in full swing!
Typical Herpes symptoms do not need to be present for this rash to appear (have had once with and once without)
The BOTTOM LINE: I believe we need to look after ourselves better to reduce frequency and severity of these episodes.

I dont think a GP will have any answers, but I may consider seeing a specialist for advice as it may make them realise there is more to Herpes than meets the eye- and it may just help them treat others with the same condition.
Best of luck to you all.
I have the exact same thing - it most certainly IS related to Herpes.  It seems to have followed my the path of my lymph nodes.  It did not exist before having herpes and having had chicken pox a few years before and how it traveled thru my body - this follows the same paths.  It is like the herpes became ramped up and broke out of the genital nerves.  I have been taking Valtrex, it does not seem to have any affect.  I do believe stress and lifestyle contribute to the outbreaks as Fairyfloss mentions above.  I have heard of Herpes Universalis but it is hard to find anything on other than some old medical book references - at least online.  I too am considering going to a contagious disease specialist to get some closure to this diagnosis.  Before dismissing this they should be doing a biopsy of these bumps - I am positive the results would be positive for herpes.
One more reason to be mindful of our health - stay positive.
What has come of these symptoms? I have been experiencing this too. Please help?
I have no idea why people are saying these symptoms are not herpes related? They most definitely are. Depending on the severity and frequency of your outbreaks you can take antiviral medication which acts as a suppressive. Ask your doctor about Aciclovir. It is the most widely used anti viral in the world. I have been on this medication for almost 2 years now since being diagnosed with HSV2. I take one 400mg tablet twice daily. My symptoms are like the small bug bites described. Some are quite itchy others not at all and I have noticed they always appear in the same areas. Few on the lower right of my left palm, a few just in the hair line on the left side of my scalp at the nape of my neck and a few just on my left shoulder blade.
I have the "bug bites" on my thighs and pelvic area only. I was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago with HSV2.
I had a severe allergic reaction to what the GYN thinks was the Metro gel to treat my bacterial vaginitis and she put me on Osphena for my menopause. I swelled up and could not stop itching. She then did blood work and took me off the Osphena just in case it was an allergic reaction to that.

I was then given Cleo cream for 7 days along with Nystatin gel and told to take Benadryl and was put on HRT pills. After 7 days I was better.....pretty much 100% better. Saw the GYN and she said the blood work showed HSV2. I was okay with all that since I was finally getting relief.

Now about a week later and I have the "bug bites" rash on my inner thighs near my vagina and on my pelvis area. It's so frustrating! I am so tired of going to the damn doctor. I am so tired of itching! Has anyone gotten any answers to whether this is related or not!?
I get same outbreaks all over body. I was diagnosed several years ago with HVS-2. When I got Lyme Disease, my outbreaks were off the wall, proving immune system breakdown. I can't believe doctors don't have much to say about the outbreaks all over the body. Feels like chicken pox when full-blown outbreaks. Went almost 2 years without an outbreak after being treated for Lyme with antibiotics for 8 months. Wish there was a vaccine.
I have just recently contracted a case of full body herpes after simply hugging someone. Who ever thought a hug would end in this??? At first when I started breaking out in red itchy blotches I thought I was having a psoriasis out break so I started using my medication for that which was doing no good and over the course of the next week I continued to get worse until my legs, arms, stomach, back, neck and butt were covered with red itchy spots and then blisters started coming up on some of the spots which became very sore and hot. This was when I decided this was more than psoriasis and made a quick trip to the dermatologist . I was shocked when she told me I had herpes, as I have never had this before. She determined that the main sore was on the back of my neck and through a process of elimination we figured out that I had been infected when being hugged by a group of school kids. I was doing work at a school in Africa and when we arrived back this year the kids came running out to greet us and mobbed us with hugs. Because I was about 8 days into my outbreak it was too late to give me antivirals so all I could take was prednisone. I continued to break out for close to a month. Now that I'm back home my GP is running tests as he claims that for this to happen my immune system has to be compromised as this is not how the herpes virus normally acts in an adult. He says he has never had a patient have this happen and he has been in practice for about 35 years. I'm surprised to see so many people here with the same reactions because the doctor I saw in Africa also told me that my reaction was very rare.
     I'm responding to the most recent commenter because the original poster to this question was back in 2010. I'm also amazed at the lack of information there is regarding this condition of herpes occurring all over the body. I'd like to share my experience in hopes that someone might benefit from it.
     My story started about 6 years ago when I was diagnosed with hsv1 in my genital area which I contracted from my partner through oral sex. I had blisters around my labia. My partner has had breakouts of oral herpes (hsv1) cold sores on his mouth since childhood. After this first occurrence, I thought I hadn't had another breakout since I never developed noticeable blisters on my genital area. Plus, the research I read stated that a recurrence of genital herpes when caused by hsv1 is not very common.
     About two years ago, I started to get an itch to the left of the nape of my neck along the hairline. This went on for a few months, but didn't bother me too much so I never really did anything about it. Then the itch began to spread throughout my scalp and suddenly I started to get an intense itch throughout my body that was worse right before I went to bed. I started to get bumps all over my body and then suddenly I remember an intense itch happening on the back of my thighs which developed into a rash or area with lots of bumps. It moved to the back of my calf on both legs and then I had patches of bumps on my arms, stomach, back, scalp, everywhere. The itchiness was almost unbearable. At first I suspected mites or bedbugs, so I washed and treated everything. I was washing sheets and towels daily. I even bought a new bed, blanket and pillows. I finally went to a doctor who thought it might be fungal, so prescribed both oral and topical anti-fungal medication. Two months went by and it was just getting worse. I went to a dermatologist who didn't know what it was, but gave me oral steroids and topical steroids for my scalp and body. She also gave me some anti-biotics. She also took two skin biopsies from my back of the sores, which didn't tell me anything. She said she didn't know what most of my rash was caused by, but said that the one patch that I had right below my right breast was shingles. She never tested for it because it was already scabbed over, but diagnosed it visually. I don't know to this day if it actually was shingles, but that spot did behave a little different from the other patches. Anyway, this mysterious rash all over my body went on for another six months. During that time, I tried treating it as an allergy, a fungal infection, a bacterial infection, and a bug infestation. It was a nightmare. It consumed me 24/7. I was constantly fighting the itch and trying various treatments to get rid of the rash. When I wasn't washing my place or treating my bumps, I was researching stuff on the Internet. I changed my diet to try and rule out food allergies. I bought tons of supplements and tried to detox my body. Nothing helped. It finally just went away without me knowing what caused it.
   A year and a half went by and it wasn't until two week ago when it finally occurred to me what caused my miserable rash all over my body. What happened two weeks ago? I had an appointment with a ob/gyn for a regular checkup. I decided to ask her about a hemorroid I've had for about 20 years. It never bothered me much other than the appearance. I had recently started massaging it to see if I could shrink it down. I had noticed one tiny bump around my anus which I never would have noticed except for the fact that I started to massage around there because of my hemorroid. It was about the size of a clogged pore and didn't itch or hurt except if you touched it. The ob/gyn told me at that time that she suspected it might be herpes and took a swab. During the time from my exam to the test results, I suddenly developed that intense itch on the back of my legs and along my back hairline and bumps started to form. Because the ob/gyn told me that she suspected the tiny little bump on my anus might be herpes, it suddenly occurred to me that I might have spread herpes to the back of my legs from my anus because I sleep in the nude. I immediately started taking Valicyclovir and Lysine and applied Acyclovir cream to the intensely itchy spots which were happening all over my body again. The bumps begin to show up in some of the same places, but they went away within a few hours to a day or so.
    The test came back positive for hsv1. I've been taking the anti-viral medication for almost two weeks now. I was able to stop the bumps from forming into blisters and  that terrible rash which I know it would have become based off of my experience two years ago. Luckily, I had Valicyclovir handy because of my partner's cold sores, so I was able to take it right when it started intensely itching during the prodromal stage. When I think back to my horrible rash which started over two years ago, I remember that near the end of my rash, I had thought that I might be having a genital herpes outbreak so I took some Valicyclovir. I never ended up breaking out to my knowledge in my vaginal area and haven't since my very first occurrence six years ago.
     It never occurred to me, nor the three doctors that I saw that my all over body rash was herpes related. I never broke out with bumps in my vaginal area like the first time. Although this past week, I think I might have broken out there, but I was able to stop it in time if it was going to. I went to the doctor yesterday, but I didn't have any bumps on my body for her to swab to confirm that they were caused by hsv1. I showed her pictures of my past rash, but she wasn't very helpful. Regardless, I'm convinced now it was herpes related because no other treatment helped my itchiness and prevented the rash except the anti-viral medication and it took care of it quickly and completely. (Continued next message)
(Continued from previous message)

Also for those of you dealing with hsv1, hsv2 or shingles and don't have immediate access to anti-viral medication, take Cimetidine, brand name Tagamet! It really works to stop all herpes viruses from replicating. It can be purchased over the counter and it's usually taken for heartburn because it lowers stomach acid. But it also works as a histamine blocker and favorably modulates immune function by inhibiting T-suppressor cells. There's a lot of credible research out there that's shown it to be as effective as the anti-viral medications. I started taking Cimetidine two days ago in addition to Valyciclovir and it's what really gave me a handle over this virus. You're suppose to take three 200mg tablets throughout the day and then two at night, so total 1000mg. I got a stomach ache the first day so I took some Betaine HCL acid to help digest my food since Cimetidine is suppose to lower your stomach acid. But my stomach ache could have been caused by the high dose of Vitamin C I also took. I may experiment dosing it anally to see if it's easier on my stomach, but I didn't get a stomach ache today.
     What I found confusing about the general info out there regarding herpes is the general belief that you can't autoinoculate yourself. The scientists say that you develop anti-bodies which prevent you from spreading it to other parts of your body. In my case, I believe that I spread the virus to other parts of my body years after my first infection and I continued to spread it to other parts of my body months later. Although I should point out that my second infection could have started again from exposure to my partner and perhaps I hadn't developed enough antibodies the first time. Perhaps it's a different strain of herpes on my body and it's just coincidental that I had an outbreak of hsv1 on my anus. I wonder why the dermatologist didn't suspect herpes when she immediately identified shingles on me. Is it really that rare to get herpes all over? Whether or not I had shingles is a mystery to me. What's odd is that the patch suspected of being shingles is one of two persistent spots which would occasionally itch from time to time after my whole body rash went away. They were also the areas that recently developed bumps which lasted for a few days, but never blistered. The spot on the left side on the back of my neck was the area that started the entire rash and remained a problem spot throughout the ordeal. The rash under my right breast was the only area that took longer to heal and left post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. I also had a weird spot on the right side of my nose by my eye suddenly appear as if I had abraided the skin. It scabbed and left post inflammatory hyper pigmentation. These three spots are typical areas for shingles to occur and correspond to the same dermatome. Doctors do say that it's rare to have a herpes and shingles outbreak at the same time. I was breaking out in other places all over my body, so I don't know what to think of it. I never got the intense pain associated with shingles. The spot under my right breast was painful, but I think it's because I had irritated it so much trying different treatments. Whatever virus it is, at least I finally have a treatment for it!
If I had gentile herpes , can it appear on my arms like a poison ivy type itch and just go away after me rubbing alcohol on it
This is a question!
Q: if I've had gentile herpes but take medication daily for it , could I break out on my arm with what looks like poison ivy bumps and they itch but not as bad as poison I've would...I rubb alcohol on my arm and its went away in a few days...is that herpes out break?
Is that true?
I heard many ppl said STDs only can transmit through sex,  so hsv2 shouldnt be able to transmit to oyher areas right?
Correct.
Actually if you have outbreaks in other areas which the above testimonies prove that is possible and those areas are shedding they can transmit HSV to others... I know some folks who have HSV and experience the same thing and have been confirmed to be caused by HSV ... I absolutely believe that gential herpes could be transmitted through other means than sex since the breakouts can be anywhere below the waist... If you don't believe that people can have herpes outbreaks on other parts of their bodies just do a Google image search and you'll see outbreaks in just about every conceivable part of the body is possible... I know the standard answer is that gential herpes can only transmit through sex but the truth is if somebody's having an outbreak in any area of their body that area is contagious...