Herpes Community
Herpes Carrier

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes Carrier

Im curious to know if your considered a herpes carrier what exactly does that mean and if it all stemmed from a cold sore ..does that mean it could be assumed that a person would have genital herpes as well? And how contagious is it? Im an enqiuring mind and I must know...Can anyone answer this for me?
There are two types of herpes virus's.  HSV1 (which is oral herpes) and HSV2 (which is genital herpes).  There is a test that you can get done at the doctor's that will tell you if you have either one.  A simple cold sore DOESN'T necessarily mean that you have herpes.  It could just be a deficiency that your body has.

The answer to your cold sore question is this.  It IS possible to transfer genital herpes to your mouth or other mucus membranes.  And it is also possible to transfer oral herpes to the genitals.  

Just because a person has oral herpes, doesn't mean they have genital herpes.

Case in point.  I have HSV2.  My husband on the other hand, has no symptoms, either oral or genital, has been tested and has come out negative for the virus.  I take valtrex as a suppressive therapy, instead of only when I have outbreaks.  My husband and I are VERY careful when we have sexual intercourse, as we both know the consequences.  We do not have sex when I am on an outbreak, or before (yes, most people DO get symptoms before), or for a couple of days after it's cleared.  And when we do have sex, we use a condom.

HSV2 is the most severe form of herpes.  Some of the symptoms are: itching, burning, tingling sensation, sores (open), clear-liquid filled blisters around the affected area, and pain.  

I hope this answered your question.
I think saying you are a herpes carrier is a very misleading statement. You either have it or you don't - regardless of if you are noticing symptoms of the virus either orally or genitally.

Oral herpes is incredibly common. On average in the US - about 60% of us have hsv1 orally.  By the time we get to the old age home - about 80% of the folks around us in our rockers have it too. It's THAT common.  Very few of us make it thru life without it.

You can have oral herpes without having genital herpes. You can also have genital herpes without having oral herpes.  Perhaps if you get a little more specific - we can better answer your question if we haven't done so already.

grace
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers