Herpes Expert Forum
Herpes Concern....

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Herpes Concern....

On 4th January I felt a sharp pain on the front of my upper left leg, about 3 inches from my genitals - amongst the hair on my leg but not within the pubic area.  It felt like a cyst or pimple about to emerge from under my skin.  I squeezed it thinking it was a pimple but did not notice any fluid or pus.  I noticed no evidence of blister.  The next morning there was a small flat area of raw pink skin (about 1 - 2mm diameter) dry around the edges.  I put a small circular elastoplast (about 15 - 20 diameter) over it and left it there for 2 days.  When I removed it, what appear to be a flaky red sore had grown to the area of the plaster - but no further.  This sore, which stung and itched a bit, took about 2 weeks to clear up.  Prior to this happening, I felt some lower back pain for about a week.  I was in a heterosexual relationship over 2 years ago and that is the last time I had unprotected sex (I am a man).  I am 41, suffer from ocassional eczema, but have never had anything like this happen before.  Does this sound like herpes?  Please advise.  Many thanks.
This could be herpes from your description.  However, you have likely confounded the situation by putting the elastoplast thing on it.  The fact that it lasted two weeks is concerning in particular, but again, I don't know what impact that treatment you applied had.  

Have you had an antibody test for herpes in the past?  If not, given your description, you might consider it.  

Again, I don't want to alarm you, but I can't tell what the natural history of this would have been since you applied this treatment.

Terri
Thanks for your response.  I did test negative on an antibody test for herpes, among other STDs, in November 2010.