Herpes Expert Forum
Herpes Diagnosis Transmission

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Herpes Diagnosis Transmission

My girlfriend was recently diagnosed with Genital Herpes. I am a bit confused, She hasn't had sex for 4 years, and I haven't had a partner for at least 7. Neither of us has had any symptoms prior to this. I still haven't. She had blisters on her genitals. Can Genital Herpes be dormant that long?  We didn't have sex, but did have genital contact. We have both given oral sex to each other. I know she does have shingles. Can shingles present genitally?

Can Herpes only be transmitted by contact with the infected area? i.e. if she has genital herpes, can she pass it to me by giving me oral sex. I understand I can get it orally, if I give her oral sex, and I can get it genitally, if my genitals come in contact with the infected area.

Do you know if your girlfriend has HSV 1 or HSV 2 genital infection?  Both can cause genital herpes.  And HSV 1 can be transmitted from the mouth of one partner to the genitals of another, with no one else being involved.  So its important to know what type it is.  Also, either of you could have been infected with either HSV 1 or HSV 2 for years and didn't know it.   So yes, herpes could have been present for that long and either of your could have not known it for a long time.  

When you say she has shingles, does she have shingles recurrently?  Recurrent shingles almost never happens, but genital herpes is often misdiagnosed as shingles.  Where does her shingles present?  

There are a number of questions that need answers here for me to provide you with most accurate information.  Write me back!

Terri