Herpes Community
Herpes Exposure! Please Help

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes Exposure! Please Help

(I am a male, couldnt figure out how to change it on profile) 20yr old male
Two weeks ago I had unprotected sex with this woman. A week later I started experiencing pain, and burning while urinating. The next day I noticed my groin lymph nodes, were swole and my whole body ached. I immediately went to the doctor to have this looked at. He did all the test on me as well as an exam. He told me I had folliculitis due to the irritated hair follicles at the base of my penis. I told him about my other symptoms and he did all the blood work (this is before the girl told me). The tests came back the following monday and everything was negative. He gave me some antibiotics to clear up whatever anitbacterial infection it could be. Just the other day I talked to the girl and she experienced the same problems the following week on the same day, which I thought was ironic. She thought she had gotten infected by me. She went and got tested and was positive from herpes. So apparently she was infected from her ex boyfriend. So I went back to the doctor and told him the news, he felt I didnt have herpes but said he would run a test that would show if I did get it from her. I am currently waiting on that news, but am freaking out! My question is could 1)I have had those symptoms and not be infected by Herpes? 2) I know it takes a while for your body to build up antibodies to the disease so the first test only a week later im sure did not show any true results right? 3) Will this test he said he did show if I have it or not with it being two weeks later. Im not sure what test it was but it was blood related and he assured me this would show recent results! Any advice or opinion would be of great help. I am OCD so this has stayed on my mind 24-7. I know if she was shedding the virus it makes me more prone to getting it also know that theres a chance I didnt recieve it, but is that possible with the symptoms I had?? (The meds he gave me has ended the burning, glands still slightly swollen meds were cipro, arithmiacine)
so you never had any urine testing done? just blood tests?

seeking out a type specific herpes igg blood test now will tell you your status from prior to this partner more than show recent infection. You will need to repeat the testing 3 months post encounter if it's negative just to err on the side of caution. do you know if your partner was diagnosed with hsv1 or hsv2 genitally?

grace
I had urine test and blood test done. I was tested for everything. I believe it was hsv2 because in was in her genitals. Do you think there is a chance I did not contract herpes even with the symptoms I had?? Also I am assuming that the test he preformed on me a few days ago will not do much good either?
Do you think I may be ok?? and she had the same symptoms a week later we had sex as well, so she had never experience any symptoms before then. So do you think having sex caused her to shed the virus afterwards or is there a high chance she was shedding when we had sex. I am pretty sure she got it in august, thats when she hooked up with her x before she came to school.
any opinions/comments would be much appreciated
the only testing accurate 2 weeks post encounter is chlamydia, gonorrhea, trich and ngu if you were tested for those. all other testing was done too early.

also no, you can't assume hsv2 since it's genital. get your own testing done and follow up at the proper times if you are negative.
Thanks for your response! I will go around February and get retested I guess. Im scared though that I for sure have it since she tested positive for it and I had the exact symptoms as her. :/.....
are you saying that there is a chance that it could be hsv1 or hsv2??
Could you tell me from your experience your opinion on my symptoms?
did you get your herpes igg blood test results back yet from the testing you recently had?
no not yet, should be today or tomorrow
Would this test show results after two weeks?
Ive read that in some, 2 weeks is long enough for igg test.
your test results now will help your partner determine if it's a newly acquired herpes infection for her or not , not accurately reflect a recently acquired infection for you. it gives you a baseline though.
From the post I put what do you think my chances are contracting herpes from her? Based on symptoms, time, etc?
Also how would it determine if hers is newly acquired and not mine? For her tests to have come back positive it showed that she had already had the virus. The doctor told me based on my results from the first test I have never have contracted hsv from anyone previous to her. So now i have my fingers crossed that I did not contract it from her, and got lucky.
I just feel certain that I have it based on the symptoms so idk....also can symptoms include painful stool passing? For a couple of days I had frequent urges to use the bathroom and when doing so it hurt very bad and was difficult to pass stool. I was thinking it was from me lifting heavy weights due to the weight training I do but the more ive read the more I see different answers out there.
So grace heres the news!.....The first they did to me (a week after) exposure was the Igg test. Which from what ive learned is useless that soon but that was negative...So when I went back this past time, it was two weeks after exposure he just recently called me and said the IGM test was very negative as well. He said in the early stages the Igm test would show early exposure and it was all negative. So I feel somewhat releved lol...what do you think?
herpes igm testing isn't recommended to be used on adults. your provider needs to read the 2010 cdc herpes guidelines and update their herpes testing knowledge.

a negative igm doesn't really mean anything either.

you had negative igg results initially so odds are if you had contracted herpes from this partner, you would've had very obvious and "classic" symptoms which you did not. really no reason for repeat testing.

do you plan on being involved with this partner more?
no I do not, and what would be examples of classic symptoms?
I wasnt sure if I had the leg/join pain because I lift weights regularly. So I did experience weird but/thigh feelings but I figured that was from my leg workout.
So you think ill be ok?
classic symptoms are obvious and painful lesions - you wouldn't miss them.  

it's been a few weeks now, time to move past hsv2 from this encounter.
So your saying even if majority of people never have major symptoms, at some point.I would have had the lesions. Thanks for all your help and time!
She.never had any symptom/ lesions so thats what also caused me to worry.
people who have hsv1 before they get hsv2, are more likely to not notice symptoms. when you are completely negative for herpes and contract hsv2, it tends to present with very obvious and painful symptoms.
ok, makes since, I guess I got lucky! Since antibotics worked I guess it was bacterial infection maybe? It was just ironic me and her had same symptoms same time ya know?
not unusual for a previous herpes infection to reoccur when other infections are present.
Did my symptoms just happen to be similar to hers you think?
I think something caused you both to have those symptoms and it triggered a herpes recurrence for her which was detected by her lesion culture. make sense?
Yes it does. The doc told me the other day he did 3 different tests igg igm and called the other one just a blood test so idk what he meant.
So maybe some bacterial infection or just sex itself caused her to have those symptoms? But wonder why my symptoms were so.closely related to herpes symptoms?
What you think?
Hey grace one question. Just recently this rash has appeared near the base of my penis. It itched extremely bad and is very red. Once it stops itching, as long as I do not touch it, it doesn't itch. Would this be a herpes rash? Or even a secons outbreak or something?
Also is it possible I contracted herpes in.my urethra? Maybe thats why not obv lessons and it caused painful urination
http://www.doctorgoodskin.com/ds/genitalherpes/symptoms.php
you need to be seen every time you have symptoms.  posting here doesn't help you get accurate answers since this doesn't replace proper medical evaluation.
would that be considered a symptom?
or could it just be a rash?
Nothing since the last post, no symptoms.
If I wanted to go back and retest just for self interest would 7 weeks be good enough? It will be 7 weeks tomorrow
3 months. don't test before that.
Well I tested before I saw your message. It was at 7 week mark and I have hsv2. Igg blood test was done # was 2. Something
So idk what to do now :( he orderedsome meds
why were meds ordered?
Idk? He told me to take a pill a day...said bring down chances of outbreak?
your provider wasted your time and money giving you herpes antivirals at this point :(
So why did he? What is the point of me taking these meds?
I have no idea why your provider gave them to you. You would need to give them a call and ask them!
Do I need to continue taking them? he told me to reduce chance of outbreak
As indicated by your previous post, you tested positive for HSV-2. Most people with herpes only take medication during an outbreak if they take it at all, but with HSV-2, daily antivirals can reduce shedding. If you're really positive for HSV-2 then you can consider taking them daily if you're sexually active or if you're experiencing frequent outbreaks. If you don't have a conclusive test that shows you're without a doubt positive for HSV-2 then don't take them because it could mess with your future HSV-2 test results.
actually I wouldn't assume you are actually infected yet by your positive test. can you get the actual results to post here - e.g. hsv1 igg .55 and hsv2 igg 1.2 or whatever they are?

also we can't confirm a low positive result until 4 months post encounter.

igg 2.43
is that a hsv2 igg?

did you ever learn more about your partner from the december encounter? are you still with her?
Yes hsv2 igg....no im not with her but she was positive for it....so I guess I am stuck with it :/