Herpes Expert Forum
Herpes Exposure

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Herpes Exposure

I had sex with a guy 5 times in a 1 and 1/2 week time period.  We used condoms each time except 2 of the 5 times the condom broke and he noticed right away and stopped.  During this time I noticed a round crusted lesion on his abdomen below the belly button.  A few days later I noticed two or three more in a trail like fashion leading to his pubic area.  He was tested by Herpes EIA IGG Antibody on July 16, and our first sexual encounter was July 11.  His results were positive for HSV-1 at >5.00 and 0.9 for HSV-2 (equivocal).  I was tested in May and was negative for both.  Our last sexual encounter was 7 days ago and since then I have had:

-General vaginal discomfort/irritation, but when I touch the genital area I do not notice any increase pain
-Redness in the labia minora, above the urethra, if I look really close it almost looks dimpled or indented in the middle of the redness and is intermittently more sensitive to touch
-Minor elevated temp 99-99.5
-Headaches
-Intermittent tingling sensation that seems to originate at my belly-button and extend down to my bladder/urethra (causing increased frequency and urgency, no pain upon urination)

He reported sleeping with a new partner with a condom for a few weeks prior to me.  Their last encounter was about a week before our first.  He has now found another bump at the base of his penis, similar to the ones on the abdomen.  They are not painful, slightly itchy at times with dry looking skin around the edges.  He also reports some tingling in the genital area.

Questions:
1. Is his 0.9 result likely due to him seroconverting?
2. I am getting the Herpes EIA, IgG test in a few weeks, which will be exactly 30 days after our last encounter, what will the accuracy of these results be?
3. For my symptoms above does it sound like a possible initial infection?  Does it sound like I may break out with lesions in the next few days?
4. How contagious was he if he had just been infected prior to seroconversion?
1.  That is certainly a possibility.  No way to know for sure unless he gets tested again.
2.  It will be probably a little better than 50/50 accuracy.  By 6 weeks, about 70% accurate.  
3.  Not really.  but it is possible, particularly if you already have HSV 1 infection.  Do you know that?  
4.  If he was just infected, then he is quite infectious, yes.  During first infection, before an immune response has been mounted, that is a very infectious time.  And if he is antibody tested too soon, he may not really know if this is herpes or not.  I know its hard to wait, but that will give you the most accuracy.

If you develop anything that looks like a lesion, go right away to have it swab tested, OK?  And him too!

Terri
Hi Terri. Thank you for responding!

So back in May my Herpes EIA results were:
HSV-1: 0.12
HSV-2: 0.07

Meaning I am susceptible to both types. The lesions on the guy I described previously were diagnosed as folliculitus (folliculitis) and he was prescribed oral abo and abo cream. I have noticed so redness and irritation inside my labia minora around where my bartholins glands are I think.  However I have given birth vaginally 5 years ago with episiotomy and my vaginal tissue has never looked normal since.  My vag culture from thursday last week showed gamma step, which they say is not infectious and is normal but I am having irritation, can you advise on this? I am super anxious and
waiting is difficult. I feel like at any moment I'm going to find
a lesion like the ones you see online.
I have read on this site that HSV-1 positivity can affect accuracy of HSV-2, is there any truth to this?

Thanks again!
What is abo cream and oral abo?  gamma step?  Do you mean strep?  What type of strep?  Strep can certainly be infectious!
Terri
The oral abo and abo cream was prescribed to the guy for those strange lesions I described in my very first post on this forum. I have had two vaginal cultures showing gamma strep which they say is not infectious and part of the normal flora. I was given clindamycin cream to insert vaginally due to increased redness and irritation.
I have now found a small cut between my anus and vaginal opening, closer to the anus, it does not look like a typical herpetic lesion but it hurts! Could this be a sign of herpes?
It could be.  If you have abnormal breaks in the skin, you should have them swabbed by a clinician ASAP.

Terri
Hi, so I have a few last questions.  

1. Do signs of herpes typically present greater than 14 days after exposure?  I have read that it is generally 2-14 days, is this true?

2. Would an initial herpes sore heal within 3 days if Neosporin were applied daily?

3. How long after possible exposure do you recommend antibody testing?

4. I found small bumps on the skin between my vagina and anus, they look similar to goose bumps (like the ones inside the inner lip of my mouth, is this normal?

5. My vaginal cultures show Gamma Strep, which the ARNP said is part of the normal flora of the vagina, is this true??  Would Gamma Strep cause vaginal irritation and discomfort?

I have been to the doctor so many times lately that I feel like they are going to ban me from the office.  I am for sure going to get an antibody test, as I have found sores on gums in the very back where they gums meet the cheek (I am not sure if they are canker sores or herpes sore) my persisting vaginal symptoms are also driving me crazy.  The person that I slept with that had the 0.9 (equivocal) HSV-2 IgG antibody test is going to get re-tested in a few weeks, however, when I told my ARNP about his results she said that he for sure had HSV-2, do you agree?

Thank you for your time, my anxiety levels are through the roof at this point!!!
1.  Most first episode herpes infections show up within 2-1 days rarely after that.
2.  That would be unusual = most herpes would last longer than that with first episode infection.
3.  I recommend a baseline test right after possible infection and another 4 months later.
4.  Those are probably normal.  Are they staying the same all the time?
5.  No, I don't believe that it would.
6. Herpes normally doesn't show up in the mouth, but rather on the outside of the mouth, on the lips.  The clinician is wrong.  o.9 is not positive, it is on the verge of negative, not positive.

Terri
So today is day 14 post possible exposure to herpes. I found two red bumps in my pubic hair region. They are slightly tender a itchy at times. They each have a long hair sticking out of their center (I have been far too paranoid to shave for the past 2 weeks). They are in two different areas of the pubic hair region.  Am I crazy paranoid or could this be early signs of herpes sores/blisters. I don't think they are ingrown hairs as I can obviously see the hairs coming out. What else could it be?

Please help!
"1.  Most first episode herpes infections show up within 2-1 days rarely after that. "

can you elaborate on that - are you saying that most people will show some type of rash, sore, blister within 2-1 (i assume you meant 10) days?
...it's just that i've also read on this forum that outbreaks start 2-3 weeks AFTER initial infection
Yes, I meant 10 days.
If you have any unusual skin presentations, they should be evaluated by a clinician in your area, that's the best thing to do.

Terri
Hi, I had one last closing question.  Many different resources give different information regarding the transmission of herpes through saliva.  If someone has an HSV-1 infection orally, can they transmit the virus to the genital or anal area through saliva from the mouth to the genitals (NOT mouth to genital contact, just spitting saliva from mouth to genitals or anus)?  Please help, I know this may sound like a strange question but the conflicting information is confusing and bothersome.  Thank you for your time!
Herpes virus can be shed from inside the mouth, though most often, there are not lesions present with this shedding.  Since saliva in found in the mouth, it is possible for virus to be found in saliva, yes.

Terri