Herpes Community
Herpes Mania

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes Mania

I had a boyfriend several months ago that had herpes and didn't tell me about it.  We only had sex three times and spread the encounters out over a series of months but each encounter was unprotected.  Right after I found out about the herpes, I got tested about a week after we had last had sex.  I came beack clean but I recently discovered that tests shouldn't be taken until 6 weeks after the last episode of unprotected sex.  I've done a lot of research and I know that the chances of contracted herpes when someone was not having an outbreak is slim but I've also learned that some outbreaks are so mild that one doesn't even notice.  Also, after I got the results back, I pursued a relationship with someone else and haven't used condoms because we were both tested and clean.  What are the chances of me having genital herpes? What are the chances of my boyfriend getting herpes?
Actually you should get your blood test done 3 or 4 months after the last time you had sex with this person. if you need the peace of mind, repeat it at that point.

the odds of you contracting hsv2 from 3 sexual encounters is pretty low but it can happen.

Are you sure your current partner was tested for herpes too? It's not a part of routine std testing in most clinics unless you specifically ask for it.  also since it hasn't been long enough for you to properly test for hiv and hsv from your former partner, probably best to err on the side of caution and use condoms if you are concerned.

grace
Thank you.  I have had no symptoms but my mind tends to wander back to the subject from time to time.  My current partner was tested for herpes 6 weeks after his last sexual experience and came up clean.  I'll make sure that I transfer the informaton to him but I highly doubt he has anything seeing as I was his second sexual experience.  

ariel
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers