Herpes Community
Herpes PCR DNA test on blood

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes PCR DNA test on blood

I know the PCR DNA test is not a normal test to be ran on blood for diagnosis purposes of Herpes.  But I am wondering how accurate this test is on picking up the viral DNA in the blood.  Is the Herpes virus able to be detected in the blood via PCR DNA testing? And if the test does come back negative can you be assured there is no Herpes virus in the body?  I know you can get an antibodies (Herpes Select) test done but you should wait at least 3 months for the body to produce antibodies......or you can get a swab test done on a sore.
a pcr herpes blood test that comes back negative is meaningless. It shouldn't be used outside of research for the purpose of diagnosing herpes.  There are only a few times where you can even detect herpes in the blood thru pcr blood testing so it can't be used for routine screening.

If you have active lesions, be seen promptly and get tested done. You need a proper evaluation to see if it's herpetic or syphilis or something else going on.  any follow up testing with blood tests needs to wait 3-4 months.

grace
I have a question and I was wondering if you would be able to answer it.  I had a swab test done in Jan 2008 that came back positive for HSV1 and negative for HSV2.  In August 2008 I had a blood test done that came back positive for HSV1 and negative for HSV 2.  I went through a treatment program and in Feb 2009 my Herpes Select test came back negative for HSV1 and HSV2.  I had a PCR DNA test done in March 2009 and it came back negative for HSV 1 and HSV2.  How can this be explained?
Even the herpeselect still misses 1 out of every 10 hsv1 infections.  the pcr blood test this month was an totally inappropriate test as I've already explained and it should be expected that it would be negative for both types of herpes.

You have no reason to doubt your hsv1 genital infection based on the + hsv1 lesion culture you had done.

grace