Herpes Expert Forum
Herpes Risk from Oral Sex

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Herpes Risk from Oral Sex

Greetings, I have been reading the forum and the information is excellent. My particular situation is as follows: I am a 30 yr old male. 30 days ago I had an encounter with someone I met on the net. She performed oral sex on me for approximately 20-30 seconds. I did not see any noticeable sores on her mouth. I do not know her herpes status. I have had cold sores since I was 12. After the encounter I took zovirax, 800mg for two days.

My questions are:

1) Was this a high risk activity for herpes? If so, what is the likelihood?

2) What is the window period for testing, i.e. when should I get tested and what kind of test?

3) Did taking the Zovirax help or hurt me? I started taking it shortly thereafter.

4) I have had no outbreaks on my genitals, does this mean anything?

5) Is there accompanying stds that I may have also been exposed to?

6) I have noticed more frequent urination, but no discharge or pain, is this anxiety/fear or could it be associated with herpes?

Thanks in advance!
1.  No it isn't high risk.  First it was very short.  Second, and more importantly, you already have HSV 1 infection, which is the herpes you would most likely get from receiving oral sex if you got herpes.
2.  I don't believe you need testing at all in this circumstance.
3.  I don't know why you took the zovirax, but it probably did nothing, one way or the other.
4.  It means you probably didn't get herpes'
5.  Other STDs can be carried in the mouth, chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, hepatitis A, but none of them commonly, and I seriously doubt that you would be infected by any of these at this encounter.
6.  I would suspect the more likely reason for frequent urination is fear and anxiety, but if it is truly more frequent, not just more noticed, you might want to go to see your primary care provider about this symptom.  

It seems that your main fear is herpes and again, in your circumstance, this is highly unlikely.

Terri
Terri-

Thanks for your response. I was tested at 3 weeks for chlamydia, gonorrhea and syphillis (syphilis). The tests came back negative. Is this conclusive or do I need follow up tests? In 2006 I received the 3 series shot for Hep A/B. Since I have received the hep shots am I still at risk? I know this is the herpes forum but any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, I provided a urine sample to my PCM yesterday for UTI testing. Thanks again for your response and a follow on response would be greatly appreciated!
I don't think you need to be retested.  The hepatitis we worry about most with oral sex is Hep A (since you've been vaccinated for B).  There is also a vaccine for Hep A.  

Terri
Ok, you have me confused here. I thought the vaccine I received was for Hepatitis A and B, i.e. a combination vaccination. I am almost positive it was. Am I incorrect for thinking this?
   I totally missed that in your post, sorry about that.  Yes, you were likely vaccinated for both so no worries, sorry I missed that.

Terri