Herpes Community
Herpes Simplex 2 question

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes Simplex 2 question

Iam a female that was told she has PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). I went to the doctor on 1/29/13 for a routine check up and they discovered revealed my HSV 2 IgG AB was 1.14. On 2/7/13 I went to an urgent care and got test back in two days as HSV 2 IgG AB 1.55. My boyfriend and I had been sexually active since 12/12/12. He tested, came out negative. We are now waiting for 4 months to have him retested. We decided not to have sex until then. My last sexual encounter with anybody before that was 04/28/2012.I guess I can add that I have no symptoms. I only noticed a discharge two weeks before the original test was done. Dr tested today for yeast infection. Awaiting results.

Questions:

(1) What are the odds that I could go back to get a test with him in 4 months and it's negative?
(2) What could cause that number to go up, when obviously I did not "recently" get infected?
(3) I went to my doctor OBGYN and they had no idea what a Biokit or Western Blot was. So how can I get if they do not know?
(4) With a number like this what is the likelihood of him to be positive as well?

Any insight will help.

Thank you.
at this point you've had 2 low positives. since your partner is testing negative and you've been together for this long, you can seek out a herpes WB blood test to see if you have a true positive or not.  

encourage your obgyn to read the 2010 cdc herpes guidelines to update their herpes testing knowledge.

grace
Thank you Grace for your prompt response.

In your experience, have you seen anybody with scores like mine go back and get a negative results after 4 - 6 months? I ask because I do not want my boyfriend to get it. After his retest in 4 months we will contemplate a separation.  

Additionally, what does that score mean? Why are there people with elevated numbers while others have los numbers? Since last week I have done extensive research (I can soon say I will be an expert on the topic) but never found an answer as far as what the IgG score means?

I am open and very willing to get the Western Blot. I will research on how to get this test done.

Thank you.

why would you end a relationship over herpes?  His risk with only avoiding sex during obvious symptoms is 4%/year. You are far more likely to get pregnant just using the pill for birth control than you are for him to contract hsv2 from you even with the most basic of precautions.

your score means nothing other than it's positive but under 5 which is the score at which we stop worrying about false positives. seek out the confirmatory testing and go from there.  

how to get the WB done in the US is listed in our read before posting post.
Thank you so much for your insight. In due time I will think on how to get a WB because I honestly think my OBGYN and her staff will not help me get this test as she seems to be unknowledgeable and not open to it. This result has turned my world upside down. I will let some time past then figure out my course of action. Right now I will have to trust that time will tell the truth! My bf and I have oficially broken up (long story).

Thank you.
sorry to hear that your relationship ended :(

encourage your provider to update their testing knowledge. If you do test negative for hsv2 on the WB after they refused to order it, you actually have grounds for a malpractice suit. that alone should make them want to do a little learning!
Hi Grace,

I wanted to follow up with what has happened. After an intense month and a half, I have calmed down and decided to deal with this. As my first step, I decided to go get a follow up test via www.tstd.org and I am confused. I tested Friday and the results came in today but now the number is 1.94. All tests were done via LabCorp.

If this is not a new infection, why is this number going up?  I have no symptoms that will hint to me that it is hsv2. Hsv 1 remains negative.

I decided to go get another IGG test see what was happening. At this present time in Georgia there is one place that does the Biokit (located 1 hours away). I called them and they left me on hold 2 times. The WB will be too expensive for me to get right now as my Dr. is not cooperative.

Please advise. Thank you.

you could do herpes testing daily and get different results - they won't stay the exact same.

you need the WB at this point. I wouldn't even bother with a biokit.