Herpes Expert Forum
Herpes Symptoms

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Herpes Symptoms

Hello Madam,

My name is Sam Atashnia, I have a question with regards to Herpes Simplex 1 and 2.  I have had sexual partners in the past, but I have never had any symptoms of any kind around my genitals or mouth.  No blisters, soreness or anything.  And I have checked regularly very closely.  

However, I would like to ask.  Is it true that herpes can be had/contracted without getting any symptoms? And if so, what is the likelihood that I could have contracted herpes, if I have never had any symptoms?

Thank you for your time.
It is true that you could be infected with herpes either type 1 or 2 without symptoms, yes.  

I honestly can't help you know if you have risk for herpes without knowing all about your sexual history - how many partners you've had, what kind of sexual experiences you've had, the sex of your partners, the frequently with which you use condoms, all that stuff.  

Terri
Thank you for your reply
Just to give a little more information. I have had a total of 5 sexual partners, all female. I have had intercourse and oral sex performed on me. I have never performed oral sex on any of my partners.

In terms of using protection, a condom was used everytime when having intercourse, and the majority of the time when having oral sex performed on me. Also, from what I saw, there were never any noticable symptoms around the mouth or vaginal area of any of my partners when having sex. (Based on what I noticed)

Hopefully this information helps.
Also,  given this, isnt it still possible that I could contract the virus even if my partner had no noticable symptoms present?
I would say that given your sexual history of reliable condom use and relatively few partners, the risk of you acquiring herpes in this circumstance is low.  

Anyone who has had intercourse has some small risk of getting herpes, but the risk increases with the number of sex partners and also with lack of condom use and how early one starts to have sex in one's life.  

I can't give you an exact percentage of risk, but I would say it is really quite low.

Terri