Herpes Community
Herpes Zoster (Shingles)

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes Zoster (Shingles)

At the age of 73 I was diagnosed with Herpes Zoster (shingles) on abdomen.  Lasted for about a month.  Was given a prescription of Valtrex.  I was diagnosed within the 73 hour limit, therefore, the blisters did not last too long.  Now, I am wondering if it is ok to get the new vaccine for shingles even though I had an outbreak shingles.  Would I be a good candidate for the vaccine???  What are my chances of contacting shingles again with or without the new vaccine.  Am wondering about this as I don't think I can handle another outbreak of shingles (the pain etc).  I thank you in advance for a reply.  
Tags: shingles
there's no need for the vaccine if you've already had shingles.  

You don't contract shingles from someone - it's a reactivation of the chicken pox virus that was already in your body. it's very unlikely that you'll ever have a reoccurence of shingles again.

grace
Thanks for the reply. Wow, now I'm really in a quandary about this.  While waiting for a reply, I was told by my MD that I should get the vaccine even though I already had an outbreak of herpes zoster.  Guess I'll just have to take my chances and wait.
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/shingles/vac-faqs.htm   they've evidently updated the recommendations on the shingles vaccine and according to the CDC fact sheet now it is recommended that you get the vaccine.  Not sure what the rationalization is behind the new recommendations to be honest.

grace
Thank you Grace for the immediate reply and the good advice.  Your answers were very very helpful to me.  This is a great website!!!!!