Herpes Community
Herpes and Pap

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes and Pap

My wife got herpes diagnosed on a Pap in september. She took an IGG test at the end of december which came negative for both I and II. I also tested myself priorly in November with the same results.
I read everywhere that a Pap can present false negatives, because OB's are intermittent, but nothing about false positives?
My wife's Gyn doesn't care at all about the IGG results, he says the diagnose of the pap test is accurate, even if it doesn't tell us which kind of H it supposedly is.
We're just wondering were to go from here....we're planning on doing another set of IGG tests in a couple of months. I have not been able to find where we live,  a lab that does Western Blot for herpes, only for HIV...
Can a Pap diagnose of Herpes be wrong?
we don't recommend testing for herpes via pap test. It only looks for a specific cell that is often associated with herpes and it's not a good way to test for herpes.

no real reason for more testing for either of you.  she didn't have symptoms I assume and we know pap testing isn't a good way to test. You've both confirmed your status with negative herpes igg blood tests.  it's your provider who needs to do some homework at this point, not you guys getting more tests!

grace
Oh sorry, I forgot to write, but we both had symtpoms. My wife had flu like symptoms and one or 2 bumps down there. I had ulcer like bumps on my shaft, swollen left lymph and pain in my tighs. To add to the confussion, I went to my urologyst, he told me it could possibly be herpes, but thought that a bacterial infection was most probably the cause. He did not took a swab either! (smucks what is it with these doctors?!?), but gaved me both cypro and valtrex. We have not had a recurrence since....very confused...
well if this is herpes, it would be more likely to be hsv1 than hsv2 if it's not showing up on either of your blood tests. at this point, be seen every single time you have symptoms within 48 hours of their appearance and make sure they do a lesion culture and typing.

still sounds like something non-herpes related.