Herpes Community
Herpes and Severely Compromised Immune System

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I have genital herpes and my partner has a severely compromised immune system as a result of chemotherapy tx. We have not had sexual intercourse and want to understand what is safe to do/not do. Trying also to determine the best kind of specialist to consult with.
has your partner been tested to know their status?

do you have hsv1 or hsv2 genitally? do you take daily suppressive therapy?

is your partner still under going chemo?

grace
My partner does not have herpes if that's what you're asking about his 'status' - he has been tested. I do not actually know whether I have hsv 1 or 2 and yes, i take daily suppressive therapy. acyclovir 500 mg.
My partner is no longer under going chemo treatment - been over 3 years since last tx but it completely wiped out his immune system. He is receiving bi-weekly tx/infusions of nupogen and iron.
you definitely need testing to know your own status.  what testing did you originally have for herpes?

acyclovir isn't 500mg. please recheck your medication and dose.

Seems kind of ridiculous that I don't know...now that I read your response! I contracted herpes in the 80's but was never tested. Guess that's step one. We do have an appt. with a physician in about 10 days so will request testing then.
As for my medication - Apo-Valacyclovir 500mg - that's exactly what it says on the bottle. Am I missing something?
Thanks for responding to me.
that's valtrex, not acyclovir.

grace