Herpes Expert Forum
Herpes and spas

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Herpes and spas

I had sex with 3 partners in Oct. and got a weird red mark on my penis.  I did research online and thought I had HSV1-2.  Went to PP, Derms, and GP - all said didn't look like herpes.  Got tested with HerpeSelect at 10 wks post exposure and was negative for both HSV1-2 and all other STDs.  I was going to get tested again next week (13 weeks) and move on.  However, this weekend I was on vacation with friends.  Stayed in a very nice hotel and I went to the day spa to relax from all this STD anxiety I have been under for the past three months.  In the men's locker room there was a huge hot tub (small pool sized), steam room and cold water pool.  I used all of the facilities naked.  I sat on a towel in the steam room, but sat in the hot tub on a concrete ledge UNDER the water.  I also used the cold pool (but leaned against the wall of the pool with my back).  Other men were using the facilities as well (some naked, some in bathing suits).  I had NO physical contact with anyone else using any of the facilities nor did I sit on the ledge of the hot tub or cold water pool outside of the water.  In addition, later that night I shared a hot tub in our hotel room with a bunch of friends (all wearing bathing suits, little to no physical contact).  My question is what are my chances of contracting herpes (as well as HPV or Hepatitis A,B,C) from these non-sexual encounters?  I am especially concerned because I have had some irritation/redness in the crack between my buttocks and some anal itching/pain since October (hence testing) and I fear this is an open wound which these various viruses could enter through.  Could I have gotten herpes/hepatitis/hpv through the water itself (hot tub or cold water pool), by sitting on that ledge under the hot tub water (ie - if someone with one of those viruses sat there naked 10 minutes before I did), from friends in the hot tub? I really worried and wondering whether I should start over with my 12-16 week testing count from these encounters?
I believe that you have absolutely no worries about contracting any STI from this spa setting, period.  You do not need to worry about starting the time over for your final STD testing.  These pools are treated with chemicals that deal effectively with viruses, plus there is a huge dilution factor in pools that would eliminate the possibility of infection.

Terri
Terri - Thank you so much for your response!  I just want to clarify (or at least double make sure).  Even using these facilities with the red irritation/abrasion/possible open wound in the crack between my buttocks/tailbone, pain in my anal area (possible fissure), and potential small cuts on my penis (let's say microscopic abrasions/tears from masturbating) - I don't have to worry about any herpes or other STI infections from using any of these spa (hot tub, cold water, steam room) facilities (again no physical contact with anyone)?  I just want to double make sure that potentially having an open wound, even a small one, in my genital region and using these facilities I shouldn't be concerned that I reopened the door to infection and need additional testing.  Thanks again Terri.  Looking forward to re-testing next week and moving on with my life (unless I have something to worry about from this spa encounter and need additional STI testing in 3 to 4 months).
Terri (Sorry for posting the same follow up question twice.  I had some computer problems and my first post didn't hotlink to your name) - Thank you so much for your response!  I just want to clarify (or at least double make sure).  Even using these facilities with the red irritation/abrasion/possible open wound in the crack between my buttocks/tailbone, pain in my anal area (possible fissure), and potential small cuts on my penis (let's say microscopic abrasions/tears from masturbating) - I don't have to worry about any herpes or other STI infections from using any of these spa (hot tub, cold water, steam room) facilities (again no physical contact with anyone)?  I just want to double make sure that potentially having an open wound, even a small one, in my genital region and using these facilities I shouldn't be concerned that I reopened the door to infection and need additional testing.  Thanks again Terri.  Looking forward to re-testing next week and moving on with my life (unless I have something to worry about from this spa encounter and need additional STI testing in 3 to 4 months).