Herpes Community
Herpes cause Bell's Palsy?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes cause Bell's Palsy?

A year ago I went to the beach and sunbathed and the next morning woke up with paralysis on the left side of my face. Started with my tongue left side with a mild burning feeling and numbness then couldn't blink my left eye or smile from left side..etc went to Ear NOSE and Throat Dr and he said I had Bell's Palsy which is caused by Herpes. Gave me antifungal, prednisone and herpes medicine (forget the name)..There was nor have never been sores on my lips or mouth...Within 15 days all my paralysis was gone...the only thing that remained and still does is the mild burning tongue which comes more than goes...since the Bell's Palsy I have developed Asthma, Allergies (atopic), Eosinophillic Esophagits, fatigue, aches and pains, flu like symptoms (chills, weak) whithout having the flu, left cheek on face sunken in, sore throats alot, ear popping, and I seem to feel these worse when my tongue "flares up"..I can taste with it and smell..just burns...I have had bloodwork at the time for Herpes and all came back negative..My question(s) are I didn't think a person could have Herpes on the inner back of tongue? Can swimming in ocean or sun cause 7th cranial nerve damage like Bell's Palsy? Trying to determine what are the causes of Bell's Palsy other than Herpes and or if it in itself is a symptom of something bigger?
Hsv1 orally has been associated as a contributor/cause of bell's palsy.  It's typically a reactivation of the virus. You might not see any obvious cold sores with it.  

Even the best blood tests we have, still miss 10% of all hsv1 infections.

At this point continuing to follow up on this with a neurologist is the best course of action.

grace
If I don't/haven't seen any obvious cold sores or obvious anyhting with Hsv1 is there medication you can take other than Valtrex? As I believe there is a reactivation going on making me feel sick.

I went to neurologist and he did CAT SCAN and Nerve tests and all normal.

CJS
just continue to follow up on this with the neurologist. Typically herpes medications don't show a lot of help for bells palsy symptoms if they are what is still giving you pain/issues.

there are other herpes antivirals besides valtrex if that is what you are asking?

grace
I have been a long time sufferer of multiple bells palsy bouts, on both sides of face. I have just recently started having the sores on my tongue and it seems to coincide with my ear hurting and then comes the loss of taste and then well its either the paralysis and/or so many steroids and viral medications and hyperbaric treatments and accupuncture treatments I slowly walk in to the poor house with all the medical treatments that seem to help me smile again but never force the problems to go away for good. I take so many different vitamins and try to keep my body as immune as I possibly can. Every doctor that I have seen, more than 15 specialists, shrug their shoulders and suggest nothing different. I am so sorry that you are having this issue as I don't wish this on my worst enemy even though it might help them understand my daily frustrations just a bit more. All I can tell anyone with this problem is to keep the immune system as strong as possible, stress as decreased as possible and stay healthy....Even all of that hasn't kept my paralysis at bay. Be thankful your paralysis went away and stayed away but keep the Lysine as a Daily NEVER FORGET routine.