Herpes Community
Herpes first outbreak

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes first outbreak

I recently had a new partner and was infected on the first time with genital herpes within hours of having intercourse with him.  Is it possible I had carried the virus and somehow for the first outbreak it just happened with him the first time?  I have heard it is most likely that he is the one who gave it to me since it had been 8 months since my last relationship.  I have never had a STD ever and not one to sleep around.  He refuses to believe my Doctor saying it is pretty positive it came from him as severly and fast as I broke out.  I had sores within 12 hours and infection and discharge.
you won't have symptoms of a newly acquired herpes infection within 12 hours.

what testing did you have done?

did your partner get tested to know their own status?

grace
  I could feel tingling and swelling and within 24 hours also had a discharge with blood .  I knew I tore a bit the first time so thought that was why I was sore and swollen.  I went to the Doctor 3 days later and she said it was herpes and did a wet swab test which came bacl positive.  A week later I went to my primary Doctor and she confirmed the test results for herpes.  Both Doctors told me it was a very recent partner and not something I had for the last 8 months or more and just happened to break out the first time I had sex with the new partner.  He feels he has no sores and never had so he will not get tested.  So do I believe the Doctors or wonder if it was inside of me for months or years and just happened to break out the first time of sex with the new partner?  My Primary Doctor also did the wet swab test to make sure a week later and it was positive again.
what testing did your primary doctor do a week later?

your partner definitely needs to be tested to know his own status. assume nothing at this point.
My Primary Doctor did an exam and a wet swab and confirmed that it was herpes a week after the visit to Urgent Care when the first testing was done.  Both Doctors said I had to have gotten it from the current partner.  I also went back two weeks later to be tested for all STD's and HIV which came back negative but still had a infection.   My partner refused to get tested when I requested it and we are not seeing each other now since I saw him having sex with another female.  He had sex with me when I had the sores in which I had no idea it was herpes sores at the time so I can hope he has gotten tested.  He felt that since he had no sores and never had sores that it did not effect him.  I knew the first time I did tear some due to his larger size so the infection hung on like crazy.  I just need to know if my Doctors are wrong then if you say I would not have gotten sores a day after the first time we had sex.  I seriously had not been with anyone sexually for many months prior.
if your initial symptoms were due to tearing , that would make more sense in your timeline.  those wouldn't have been symptoms of herpes that soon. make sense?

have you tested + for hsv1 or hsv2?

have you ever been tested for herpes prior to this?

I was tested for hsv2 both times and never  had been tested before.  I never had irritation ever before this.  So what I am hearing from you is that the 2 Doctors that tested me did not give me correct information on me getting herpes from the recent partner the first time we had sex?  It is so confusing to understand or what to trust.  I only know I was not sexual with anyone for 8 mnths or more before the recent partner.
When i had my first breakout, I had been celibate for 10+ years.
since your partner won't get tested and share results with you and you were never tested before to know your status, you might never figure out the when and from whom part of all of this. you could've had bad enough luck to contract hsv2 the first time you ever had sex with a partner and it could've been that you had hsv2 prior to this and the tearing you experienced triggered your first obvious recurrence. what is important to know is that you know you have hsv2. now you and any future partners can make educated decisions about what precautions to take together which is more important than knowing for sure when you contracted it.