Herpes Community
Herpes/friction issue/fungal infection?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes/friction issue/fungal infection?

ok this is a very confusing one,,
male 31 very sexually active
so i left a 2 year relationship and started dating a long time friend of mine,,with in the first month we had sex many times but this one time i had noticed a rather large cut on the left side of my penis shaft it was only alittle painful to touch (obviously its an open cut) wasnt there befor,,so i freaked out and went to the doctors i had every STD test done even went for my hiv/aids blood work all came back clear,,i had the swab test done on the scab of the cut,,now i know if it were herpes it takes some time to show up in the blood and if healing may not show up on the swab culture test,,so i let that heal,,then about a month later i awoke to me jerking off in my sleep and where the skin had healed there were more cuts directly around the rim of the first cut,,(could have been re-opening the cut?) ,, so freaked out again i went back to the doctors but they would not re test me so that healed, i asked my gf who knew what was going on the hole time if she ever had problems,,she had not,,but i told her just to be on the safe side to go get tested as well,,now if i got it from her even if she has no symptoms it still should have showed up on her test after having it for a while,,if she had it that is?..her test came back negitive as well,,so another month later something happened in the same spot it started to get intchy and got progressively worse over two weeks untill i scratched so much it became raw and red i caused about 3 small cuts that scabed over right away ,,in the cases of the cuts right from the begining i never saw them as blisters so never saw any fluid come from them,,and i sought out two other doctors one had told me it was damaged skin and not to masturbate for a while,,the other said it might have been a fungal infection but is sending me to a dermatologist i have noticed that even after healing if i jerk off to much it will start to bother me,,any one got any idea's,,at this point i dont even care ive already gone thru so much,,iam just as lost as the doctors,,in the first two cases there was no pain or symptoms ,,never pain during urination ,,
most folks don't get herpes testing as part of their routine std testing.   It's likely none of your partners have ever been properly tested for it and you haven't been yet either.

you and your partner at this point should pursue type specific herpes igg blood testing to see who has what for starters.

also start being nicer to the lil guy and use a good sex lube for masturbation! Even though you might have never had issues in the past, as we age, our skin becomes thinner and needs to be treated more kindly :)
are you being kind to the lil guy and using a good sex lube when you masturbate?

have you and your partner only had lesion cultures or did you both also have type specific herpes igg blood testing done too?

grace
no i almost never use lube,,and i only had the lesion culture test,,iam not sure how they tested her ,,but i know she had two test done over the last year, i dont think they do the igg blood test here,guess ill find out when i see the dermatologist in like 6 months,,thats just a ridiculose time to wait,,id say it could be type one i guess,,but none of my partners in the last few years have ever had any problems and were tested,,hmmm

well they told me thats what they were testing me for,,and i sent my gf to get tested for that because that was my main concern,and when i contaced my old partners i told them that was my concern so iam sure they would have gotten a test for that ,but i will ask for that test even tho from what i read there isnt much point in that test due to it only telling you what type you have not were you have it,,unless i show positive for type 2 they need better testing for this,,urgh,,but thanks for the input :) this has been very difficult for me
no blood testing won't tell what you have where but it's a start to finding out what you and your partner have in the relationship in general.   hsv1 genitally tends not to reoccur this much so if you only test + for hsv1, odds are it's oral , not genital even if you can't recall ever having had an obvious cold sore.
this is very true,,thanks alot for your advice :) iam going to continue to get test done till i figure this thing out,,i dont think its type 2,,but hey i could be wrong,but hoping for the best
hi grace i just wanted to come back with an update,,so since my last posting my symptoms have not gone away,,,its been so constant it started itching back in june !!,,i ve seen the dermatoligiest,,she had mentioned she didn't think it was an std and mentoned that it looked like it was bleeding at one point and gave me some betaderm ointment,,i am going back in to see her for a biopsy in two weeks ,,so i do have a follow up question ,,do you think herpes would effect someone like that i know its different in many people but,, constant? i still haven't even fully healed from the last cut i have gotten a few weeks ago and the itchy and sensitive skin have not gone away,,maybe a day or two here and there but that's about it,,so when it was at a bad point the pulled the skin and noticed that  there was 3 tiny bumps spaced out, touching them directly i noticed these are definitely the cause of the itch and sensitive skin around them and are a little painful to touch or just that sensitive ,,they don't break on there own and i cant even see them unless i pull the skin and get close,,but i did squeeze them to see how easy they would break,,it wasn't easy and they made a snapping noise when i popped them ( i know this is never recomended but its getting to that point i need to do whatever i can to help figure this out),,didn't really notice anything come out of them,,this has been going on for almost a year now,,i have other sexual partners and have been careful using condoms,,but wouldn't it spread to another person it they were touching it alot? because there has been no spreading to other peoples skin that have touched it? ,,god i cant wait for this last test to know what is really going on
nope, herpes won't cause constant symptoms like this.

glad you've seen a provider who seems to want to get to the bottom of this for you :)  

no picking and prodding!!!

keep updating - it really helps others see that yes indeed it is worth following up on things and not just assuming that if it's below the waist, it has to be herpes :)
so another update,,, i have seen the specialist twice now,,and i noticed little bums on my wrist and hands (backside) this was weeks ago before i seen her, didnt think much of them,,but just before i saw her the second time i noticed a strange rash growing up my left arm,,i googled what the rash looked like and i found that it looks exactly like scabies,,when i went in to see the specialist the 2nd time i showed her the rash,,she immediately thought it was scabies,,i took the medication (pesticide cream 5%?) and its been about 3 weeks since my last visit and did the treatment then,,my rash is just about gone,,and my symptoms have gone down drastically,,but now it seems i may be suffering from post treatment,,i got 3 small pimple like bumps on my shaft again i noticed the itch coming on in the evening last night so i applied a tiny amount of cream there then the itch went away ,,i found the bumps to be just out side the area i applied it to,i strached them off and they have almost healed fully in just the day,,i really "think" me and the doctor are right that this has been the cause the hole time,,now just to get the bumps /pimples to stop!!!,,hope iam not reinfected and its just post treatment,,i would never thought you could get this and it acted this way,,i could see how it was easy for me to think it was herpes,,,well iam still on the fence about that really,,but it looks like scabies was the cause
did you do the cleaning of your bedding and such that you are supposed to do too?
yep i washed all my clothes and bedding when i treated my self the first time three weeks ago,,tho i didnt do my couch,,err :/  i dont think its a very bad idea to wait a few days and maybe treat my self one more time?,,do everything all over again,,i just got another bump/pimple this morning, 5am it woke me up from the itch/ sensitivity,,,sigh i would just like this to stop,,its been 8/9 months of this every few weeks almost like clock work its starting to wear me down mentally, clearly its put a hold on my sex life,, i stopped dating till i knew what was going on,,here iam a almost year  later and still dealing with this :(
I'd go and be seen and see if indeed this is scabies again or not before I retreated.
yes ill do that,,,iam not so sure anymore,,,or maybe just worried that its what i feared in the first place,,,why in the hell have doctors been so "i dont give a ****" with there work? over half of the doctors i seen didnt even try to help me,,and now this "specialist" is just guessing every time i go see her,,i even asked for the biopsy the same time we thought this might be due to scabies,,but they would rather just let me go with no confirmed diagnoses so i can suffer in hunches and guesses,,,**** this i should be a doctor id do the job better then them
sorry for the anger,,,,iam just upset and have just about reached the end of my rope,,id rather be dead then deal with this for the rest of my life,,one year of it has me ready already,,how can i make it another 40?..lol
I hear ya on that one :(  Had many problems myself and I"m seen at a gyn department of a major teaching institution in the US and haven't found anyone I can trust since my prior gyn left. They are uncaring and insensitive all too often . you can imagine how rough I am on doctors who act like idiots!!  I'm sure my medical record has a notation on it that sounds a lot like witch on it somewhere ;)

best of luck finding a dermatologist who takes the time to look into this further for you.
thanks :) i do have one other question,,,i dont understand some things,,like if it were either scabies or herpes i have not passed it to any of my previous partners,,when by all means it should have,,i was off and on since it started with a girl i used to date,,we never had sex but we did everything else,,she even used her chest to pleasure,,and since that months ago still nothing,,iam so lost,,that fact alone has me pulling my hair out,,i tried to look it up but i cant seem to find any information if genital herpes could be passed on that way,,the lack of info on the net is ridiculous,,all i see is every site repeated basic stats even a few doctor sites,,i wanted to sign in and tell those doctors they shouldnt be giving out bad information cause its different in everyone but couldnt be bothered
you can contract herpes from naked outer course but the odds of such are very low.  

continue to follow up with a dermatologist as needed to try to figure out what is going on.  
ahh i see,,,well i missed my appointment so it looks like another month and a half with no answers,,strange thing is now my symptoms have changed since taking the scabies medication,,,now i have a constant burning sensation everyday off and on through out the day on the shaft and oddly the scrotum too seems were the penis lies on it,,, as well as some weird tingling/crawling sensation that only last a few seconds at the very tip of the penis head were the urethra opening is  (haha it just happened) ,,,i havent had a repeat of the bumps yet since the first time after the medication about 3 to 4 weeks ago ,,and iam hoping i dont been holing my breath on that,,what do you think about that??,,i hope iam not bothering you with how long ive been asking you questions  :(
your genital skin is very sensitive. this could be something as simple as irritation that needs time to heal.

call and see if you can be seen earlier than 6 weeks from now.
yes i saw that as a possible option since those are signs of nerve damage,,i asked to be put on the cancelation list so i can hopefully get in there faster,,
hey Grace :) been a while,,i wanted to give you an update since its been a few months,,i am still undiagnosed,,i left the specialist because i felt she was just throwing medication at me and wasnt being honest with me,,iam still going back to her for the biopsy in a few months if all else fails,,i was sent to a new doctor that did more blood work for a lot of stuff i am not even sure what else,,but i mentioned herpes to her and showed her three healing blisters (now just scabs) she said it wasnt herpes and said i was being paraniod,,well to me it looks alot like herpes just not grouped like the pictures i see and mine are a bit more defined and red clear liquid comes out of them no matter what i have tried fungal cream scabies nothing seems to work keeps coming back iam seeing a urologest in a few months and wont get my results back on my blood work and x-rays for a few months,,,as far as i have looked into this the possiblities to me are hsv2, yeast infection,normal infection, eczema, and possibly lichen planus wich brings me to ask you a question the bumps that are caused by that do they go away on there own and come back do you know i cant seem to find any information on that,,the reason that makes me ask about that is because i have a stripe of skin were the blisters accure that is very faded to white,,iam mixed raced so i have brown skin and its easy to see,,i pointed that out to my last doctor and she just kinda sruged it off as if it wasnt there and later in the conversation said i thought it was there,(its clearly there) now i know this could be caused by worn down skin to much masturbation but i dont feel it is,,any thing you might want to add?

ps- i wanted to get another sample taken right from one of the blisters but they seem to break and start to heal with in 24 hours so i noticed them at work and by morning they had already broken and started healing,,this may be tricky to get a direct sample
herpes lesions would've completely healed by now and been gone. recurrences typically are at least a month apart.  

you can have the supplies at home to do a pcr swab. it's literally wetting a medical q tip, rubbing it vigorously over the lesion and putting it in a tube of transport medium and dropping off at the lab. A dermatologist should be able to set this up for you easily.

will be surprised if this turns out to be herpes. I'd go for the biopsy sooner rather than later.
hey grace i thought i had posted this yesterday
yes i was wondering if i was able to do a test at home glad to know i can,,,and yes they have healed,,and come back this has happened every 3 weeks roughly,,they leave a discolored mark on the skin purple-ish and kind of scar the skin,,its starting to make it look horrible,,when i get them its only 3 roughly dont seem to be on a red base or hurt some tims i dont even notice them the only reason i do is from the irritation mild itch and burn,,i herd urin or pee will will cause the sores to hurt extreamly bad when passed over them,,i tried that and felt nothing,,iam very surprised its been this long (a year) and no diagnoses,,,also if my ex was asymptomatic would visual and swab test do any good? she had three and the doctor saw nothing and swabs always came back negitive
your former partner should've been given type specific herpes igg blood testing, not swabs when no symptoms present.
ya as i told her,,she seems to be in denial about the possible out come,,iam waiting for the blisters to return again and then get a good culture sample done,,,ive noticed something may be completely unrelated (iam not sure) but about two weeks ago after my last visit to the doctors i noticed my anal Sphincter had started to get tighter and tighter until it hurt to pass gas and stool (no blood or anything coming out)two nights ago i got a sharp pain so intense it shot right up inside my lower abdomen like if i were to be kicked very hard in the testicles it was so bad that i thought i might have to go to the hospital,but it passed,i thought the problem was from the testicles but last night i noticed pain in the perineum when i put pressure on it , immediately my anal Sphincter loosened up and passed gas right away with ease,,iam curious to know if this might have any connection with blisters and burning sensation,,i think the possibilities are "prostatitis" "yeast infection" "Hsv-2" "cancer" do you agree with any of that ? ,,,,and i would like to say thank you so much for all the conversations we have had no matter what happens even though i dont know you, you have been the only person helping me,even more then my doctors,, if it wasnt for you i might have ended my life out of anger and depression
the symptoms you describe do not sound herpes related.  

it's unfortunate that  no one ever takes the time to tell us how freaking common herpes is both orally and genitally so that when faced with something like this, we don't panic so much :(  Just glad you found this forum to get accurate info instead of some of those forums where they tell everyone they have herpes and tell them that their world is over.  

hopefully you get the supplies to do home swabbing so you can get a better idea of if this is herpes or not so your mind can move forward :)
hey grace its been a long time :P hope all is well with you :)
well its now been over a year now,,still hopping from doctor to doctor,,
no diagnoses yet, my family doc put me on an emergency list to walk right in when i have the symptoms(blisters),,that was before december,,go figure now it completely stops for 3 months, i just had an outbreak of the blisters but they were so small i didnt even see them till they formed a scab,hope i dont have to wait another 3 /4 months :P
iam starting to get worried now though,,i think my body is taking serious damage now! this is whats happening to me now
almost constant pain in my prostate
almost constant pain in my left testicle
an everyday off and on itch on the penis
off and on pain in my perineum
sounds like epididymitis and possibly prostatis (but prostatis dont cause blisters?),this has been going on for 6/7 months
i have a feeling that this ether happened because of hsv-2 or trauma
it says if you get an infection or hsv that they can cause this
my blood work showed no sign of infection, i dont knwo what that means since they can check my blood for hsv, since we cant test for that were i am,i know that these symptoms can happen totaly unrelated to hsv,,but the more time goes on the more i think it is,,what are the odds that i happen to have a local infection that last this long or exceama down there,as well as epididymitis and prostate problems,seems likely that its all caused from hsv, oh well on to a new doctor yet again,,sigh,,well again thanks for all your help from before :)  ,,you dont have to add any thing to this if you dont want to,,just thought id shoot you an update after a year :)
are they checking your prostate manually when you are seen?
no they have not run that test yet,,the last doctor i saw didnt even think about it and i was unaware of how to explain all my symptoms,,but i am gonna ask for that  next time i go in and i can explain it better now
hey grace,,,well it looks like my concerns were right from the begining,,i was confirmed for hsv-2 , i have one of the worst strains,,constant attacks,,this is why i had so many other problems,,i was getting many other infections from the out breaks,  :( ,,its sad that after a year and a half i was the one who got my self diagnosed,, i found out i was getting infections in my prostate and perineurium and the epididymis infection before my doctors did (they cant help me with any of that and iam not taking any medication,,F that),,and the only reason i was able to get a good test done on time was because i found out what Arginine does to your cells and knowing how the hsv works i knew it would case a rapid out break if thats what i was infected with ,,,so i ate 3 bags of peanuts and sure enough two days later i had the worst out break of my life,,something you could recommend to anyone wondering if thats what there out breaks are....i hate this world...thank you for all your advice though :)
so you have a + lesion culture for hsv2?
also did you ever repeat your herpes igg blood testing after your initial negative testing?
i have tested + with a lesion culture for hsv2,,they dont have blood testing here,,for no reason at all,,,so iam sueing ,,this would not of happened if they were not letting people pass it on and not telling anyone
well at least you finally got a culture to know that you have hsv2, even if all your issues aren't hsv2 related.

do you have a regular partner who has been tested yet?
that is a problem,,because the girl i was with had been checked so many times she believes she not infected,,but it started with her and we had sex for months,,she wont believe its her ,,i tried to tell her i believe she is asymptomatic and we cant be tested here for that,,so she will know when she passes it on to someone else,,,this is clearly a problem where i live