Herpes Expert Forum
Herpes from mouth to hand

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Herpes from mouth to hand

I recently had cold sore on my lip. (Nothing new I have been getting them for years) My cold sore healed about a week ago. 3 days ago I noticed a itch on my left thumb. Worried it may be herpes, I covered it with a bandaid. I never put my fingers to my mouth, because of the cold sores, but I had the flu and was coughing. I am pretty good about disinfecting/or washing my hands after coughing, but could I get herpes on my hand this way? Today, It looks it doesn't look like a full blown infection, it looks raised and irritated. My husband say it looks like a minor burn, but I don't know. Could I infect myself? Can I transfer to my own hands?
I doubt that this could be herpes on your hand, because once you have HSV in one location, it is difficult to get it in another location.  Is it blistery?  Did you see anyone about this?  

Terri
is auto-inoculation possible?
Since I had the flu could that impact the possibility of auto inoculation? I apologize for the multiple comments after the original post.
By the way, you won't get herpes on your hand by coughing, it isn't transmitted in that way.

Again, I think it is highly unlikely that you would transmit a long standing HSV 1 infection from your mouth to your hand.  You have an immune response that would very likely keep that from occurring.  Please try not to worry about this, it is so unlikely.

Terri
I saw my dermatologist 6-7 days after the initial itch on my hand and the day after the itch on my nose started. The dermatologist said my thumb was nothing and truth be told it was almost completely healed. My thumb itched (for a few days) but there was no pain.  The dermatologist cultured my nose and it came back negative for bacteria and herpes, but since there was nothing to culture could not do so with my thumb.

1. Could an whitlow outbreak (if it was one) clear up that quickly and have no pain?

2. Would the culture results be accurate?
1.  Very unlikely
2.  Hard to say, cultures aren't very sensitive and they depend greatly upon the state of the lesion being cultured.

Terri