Herpes Community
Herpes from receiving oral sex

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes from receiving oral sex

Does anyone know the true risk of contracting genital herpes from receiving oral sex from a woman who has oral herpes?  I know that HSV-1 and HSV-2 are different viruses but I also know that it is possible to get HSV-1 on your genitals from receiving oral sex.  I also know that it would be far more probable to contract genital herpes from receiving oral sex if the woman had an oral herpes outbreak in her mouth but if there is no visible outbreak in the woman's mouth and she still carries the virus I wonder what the chances are?  Thanks for any help from anyone, im sure genital herpes is passed much easier from traditional sex, at least I assume so.
Even though it seems like just about everyone has hsv1 genitally any more, it's still not its preferred area to infect.  We don't have stats on it like we do hsv2 transmission to the genitals though if that's what you are looking for.

do you know your own hsv1 status?

grace
Hey Grace,

Thanks for the reply.  Well actually no I dont know my HSV-1 status but i've been to a urologist before because I thought i had genital herpes or warts and actually he told me what I thought were warts or herpes were actually from hairs, ingrown hairs i believe.  And what he told me was blood tests for genital herpes (HSV-2) can be inconclusive a great deal of the time.  He said that the only real way to tell if you have genital herpes to have an outbreak.  And I know that one can carry the virus and show no symptoms at all.  I have never had any cold sores on my lips/mouth that I can recall either.  It's possible when I was very young but I still dont recall having any.  Thanks a lot
Since it's on your mind - get a type specific herpes igg blood test to see what your own status is.

www.herpesdiagnosis.com is a terrific website with info from some of the BEST herpes doc's in the US. It's accurate, updated frequently and much better answers than you've been given so far by your provider about testing :)

grace
Hey Grace,

Thanks a lot for the testing info and I know this sounds selfish but honestly if I dont have an outbreak and no symptoms at all I would almost rather not know if I have genital herpes or HSV-1 on my genitals rather.  Obviously I would like to know that I dont have it which may cause me to eventually get a blood test and I know it is a very manageable virus with no serious effects (although it does increase the risk for many other STDs including HIV by many times) but I guess it is not a serious enough issue for me right now.  Besides if I were to have HSV-1 on my genitals isnt it very difficult to give it someone else's genitals (as you said it is not the preferred area to infect) and isnt it impossible for me to give to someones mouth/oral area from my genitals?
Trust me when I say you'd rather find out you have herpes from a blood test than from after you've transmitted it to a partner.  It's part of being sexually responsible to get tested periodically for all std's.  

You can transmit hsv1 from genitals to genitals but the risk of doing so is on average rather low.  It's estimated by 1 study that less than 10% of all hsv1 genital infections are from genital to genital transmission.

grace
Hey Grace,

You are right about that.   Well I have gotten tests for other STDs in the past but its been a little while and I have been pretty sexually active but I always wear protection unless its a consistent girlfriend.  I have gotten a recent HIV test which was negative  That's weird the doctor I went to was at NYU and he said this, thats strange he would be so uninformed on such a common virus and he was a urologist.  Shouldn't a urologist have these tests that claim to be 97% accurate, seems incredibly strange to me.  I plan on getting tested soon I guess.  Isnt it strange that the majority of people who have HSV-2 will never show any symptoms.  What causes the outbreaks, is it people with weaker immune systems you think? people who produce more or less antibodies that will experience or not experience the outbreaks, its very strange to me.  I guess HIV can be the same way in terms of infecting people but actually its different because people will have the Herpes virus and never know it.  What an anomaly, right?
I am infected with herpes type 2, and I performed oral sex on my male significant other, does anyone know the chance that he may contract herpes type 2 from that encounter? I'm really worried and I have been researching everywhere and websites only ever talk about getting herpes type 1 on a persons genitals from oral sex, but they never cover getting or giving herpes type 2 from oral sex. Can any one help me out?