Herpes Community
Herpes from receiving oral sex?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes from receiving oral sex?

About a week and a half ago I had an encounter with a female. We ended up being intimate and I only fingered her while she performed oral sex on me over the course of maybe 20-30 minutes. Every post I've seen from Drs. HHH and EWH basically confirm that HSV 2 is exceedingly difficult to spread from oral to genital transmission. Am I worrying over nothing? I have already tested positive for HSV 1 in the past as have many others so that's not an issue. I know it's obviously too early to be tested but what would be the earliest I could reliably do so and be able to trust that my result is conclusive?
I forgot to include the following: the oral was unprotected and I have yet to see any symptoms after nearly two weeks.
bump?
I've also been having anal irritation, would that be an issue after receiving fellatio?
you already have hsv1 which is the risk from receiving oral sex. no reason to be worried about hsv2 from this encounter.

grace
Hi again,

I just wanted to update you and potentially ask some more questions.

At about the first week post exposure I started having difficulties defecating and my symptoms seems to match those of proctitis, so that scared me quite a bit. I went in to have myself checked out and though I did have a lot of irritation and constipation my doctor said he saw no lesions. That went on for about two weeks in within that span of time I also suspect that I came down with mono-like symptoms which I still have now, but I worry about the possibility of herpes being to blame for both of these issues.

Most recently I was having a lot of stiffness in my joints and tightness in my muscles have been really tight to the point that it has been hard to breathe or very labored breathing.  My right leg and my right arm to some degree were very tight and almost numb last night and I don't know if this is because of the potential mono or something else.

I feel like I've been sorta rushed through by some of the doctors that have seen me, but they all agree that they can't see any lesions. The closest things I have to sores are a pimple like bump on my thigh and another bump between my groin and my leg, but obviously those aren't anywhere near the site of exposure during oral sex.

I'm hoping everything clears up soon. If anything I've described sounds remotely like herpes feel free to let me know. I just want to be sure either way. I was tested at my first doctor visit nearly two weeks after exposure as a baseline and of those tests were normal but I'm considering going in at the 4 week mark and I have a physical at 8 weeks after exposure so I will get testing then for sure.

Would 8 weeks after exposure be a sufficient amount of time to be confident in my results?
As it turns out I also have two red bumps just at the edge of my butt right next to my tail bone. Now I'm worried. I'm gonna see a doctor in the morning.
not everything is herpes dear.  kissing as well as just breathing within 3 feet of someone transmits all sorts of non-std related infections.

constipation is not a herpes symptom.

achy joints isn't a herpes symptom at this point either.  

are you getting any professional help for your anxiety from all of this?
I should be, but of course the internet just makes everything more confusing because all kinds of things could be responsible for what I'm experiencing. I foolishly interrupted a reconciliation with my ex by accepting someone's advances and I think that's why I'm so paranoid about this. I just worry that I made a horrible mistake and that I'm supposed to pay for it.
All of my bumps checked out fine...they're probably folliculitis. I'm gonna get a sigmoidscopy done to see what's causing it. I will have a final round of STD testing in about a month and my doctor suggested to let the issue go if I find that I'm still negative for HSV-2.
Hi again,

Sorry to be so paranoid, but I've continued to have leg numbness and at times arm numbness (both with weakness) on my right side. It's almost like there's a loss of circulation and it starts at my butt/hip. Would something like that be remotely herpes related without lesions? I got tested at just after four weeks today and will follow up again in 8 and 12 weeks. I'm also being seen by a gastroenterologist for the sigmoidoscopy I mentioned as well as a neurologist. I'm hoping this is all stress, but it just doesn't seem coincidental that I should have fatigue, constipation and neuropathy problems just following a random encounter. I know the odds are in my favor but it's still frightening to thing about.
For reference as far as time:

At a week after exposure, I began feeling extremely fatigued with anal irritation, constipation and itching. I had baseline testing done at this time, all was normal.

Two weeks in I had a positive EBV test which I wanted to attribute my fatigue to.

Three and a half weeks post exposure, I began feeling numbness in my leg and hip as well as into my back. Sometimes my right arm is affected but not always. It continues on today. I got testing done at almost 5 weeks past exposure.
Try the anxiety forum - this isn't a herpes issue.
I'm in the process of investigating everything, but thank you for the vote of confidence.
Is HSV proctitis entirely unlikely from oral sex?
Anyone?
Sorry to be so persistent, but I am just very worried that this isn't a simple skin or GI problem.
if you are worried, you should be seeing your provider for your symptoms.
I have been, I just read a thread here about a man in a similar situation though he received whatever he has from penetrative, genital to genital sex. Would herpes cause itching with no lesions for over a month straight?
we've discussed your situation thoroughly.  keep reading what was written until you start to believe it!
Thank you for responding, I will try...it's just so hard to do that when there are tangible symptoms I'm having that match up with something a HSV-2 positive person has dealt with, even if that's incredibly rare. I know I'm probably a difficult person to correspond with as well so thank you.

Would anything like this be likely as part of any HSV-1 recurring symptoms?
If at the end of September (3 months past exposure) I receive a negative result for HSV-2 would it be ok to let go of the issue or would you recommend 4 month testing?
you really don't need any testing at all from this encounter. you already know you have hsv1. you don't need tested for hsv2 from this. you've had no symptoms suggestive of std's so really no reason for any std testing.  continue to follow up on your symptoms with your provider for non-std related causes.
So HSV-2 contraction is close to impossible from an encounter like this?
Would genital HSV-1 manifest like this?
I'm still having groin/anal itching and prickliness. Would something like that continue on this long if this was a primary HSV outbreak?
So far my only "symptoms" seem to be the groin issue I mentioned before and some slight numbness in my leg and arms along with some weakness. I still worry that I might test positive but I'm trying to put your words into perspective. I have tested negative for HSV-2 at the baseline and 4 week periods and will test again at 8 weeks and 12 weeks. After twelve weeks am I ok to let this go? I worry about infecting my girlfriend who I reconciled with last week.
really nothing more I can say that I haven't said already about your situation.
Thank you for everything...in the event that anything changes I will probably post something here though I realize you're probably tired of me at this point. Anxiety sucks.
At my girlfriend's request, I resumed oral sex on her, is she at any risk for developing symptoms based on what you already know about my situation? We have only done this one time.
up to you and your partner when you start being intimate again.
What do you think the likelihood would be that I contracted HSV-1 genitally and that it might be asymptomatic?
not likely at all
What is the likelihood that I might have transmitted something to my girlfriend based on that single (probably no more than 5 minute) oral sex encounter?
Next Friday will officially be 8 weeks since my encounter that basically ruined my entire summer and my relationship. If I get confirmatory negative testing for HSV-2, HIV and all the others I've tested for, should I abandon this issue?
A month or so after my last post and almost 3 months after my encounter I am still experiencing the leg/arm numbness and weakness that I had described before. A neurology consult didn't show anything abnormal but I do have a follow up next month. I have been paranoid about Whitlow even though I had not had any visible lesions on my hands (or on my genitals for that matter), just very dry, cracked hands with some aching and pinprick sensations that are quite scary. I have avoided touching things (and people) because of it.

I am also hoping to have dermatology and urology referrals some time soon because I was diagnosed with prostatitis recently and the Cipro I took for about ten days did not do much of anything. I also have continued feeling fatigued and just odd feeling most of the time and haven't felt like myself since late June. My doctors insist that this will all go away in time but if three months have produced no positive results I am worried and skeptical that any more time will help the situation. I lose my health insurance benefits in January so I am very scared that I will not be able to resolve this in time.

I'm afraid to have sex or even touch my girlfriend because I don't want to make sure deal with the issues I've been facing. I am due for 12 week testing which may turn into 13 week testing if I don't get an appointment this week. I just don't know what to do and living this way is feasible but very difficult. I just want to feel like myself again and I don't know how.
I'm honestly not sure that there is anything I can help you with at this point. You don't have herpes from the encounter you are so worried about.  continue to follow up with your providers as needed. Don't hesitate to call the specialists and see if they can get you in sooner due to insurance issues.

are you talking to a professional at all about your anxiety from all of this? sometimes not feeling like yourself is a sign of depression that develops from anxiety from a worrisome situation.
So I saw a urologist last week...and according to his estimation I don't have prostatitis, and what I'm experiencing could be completely idiopathic and now I've been downgraded to this "may go away over time" so that is not terribly comforting. Sorry for the bombarding of my topic with paranoia, but it's scary to not feel what I've known to be "normal" and being constantly worried that I'll infect someone with something or even the people around me because I mistrust my hands as well because I fear Whitlow. I still need a dermatology consult, so that hopefully I can finally be told that random bumps and things I have aren't herpes. Thank you for reading any and all who have.
Would it be worth asking Terri about my persisting issue? I've had my own sister (also a physician) tell me that she doesn't thing HSV-1 is to blame for anything I'm experience, but I am skeptical. Would 4 month testing be useful?
blood testing only tells you what you have and with hsv1, a + hsv1 result would not help you at all since you wouldn't know where it's at.  you'd need a lesion culture of hsv1 to show that it was hsv1 genitally.

feel free to pay to post to Terri.
Terri seems to think I'm ok.
Apparently Terri thinks I'm crazy...despite my continuing symptoms should I just let this go?