Herpes Community
Herpes in monogamous relationship

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes in monogamous relationship

I went to a doctor thinking I had a vaginal infection and she informed me that I have genital herpes. Here's the mystery:  My husband and I were both virgins when we met, and neither of us have ever had a different sex partner.  Neither of us have ever had cold sores on our mouths, either.  I completely trust him, and have no reason to suspect infidelity.  How could I contract herpes without having sexual contact with an infected person?

This is such an awful situation, any advice you can provide would be very helpful.  Thank you in advance for your reply.
If what you are saying is true and he was faitful and you were faithful, your Dr. misdiagnosed you which happens a LOT!!!!! A visual observation isn't 100% from Dr's who do not specialize in STD's. A Dermatologist or STD Dr. could spot herpes pretty accurately. I am just making an assumption that you went to your family Dr. about this.
How were you diagnosed as having herpes?  Was it just a visual inspection or did you have actual testing done? Were you told if it's hsv1 or hsv2?  

Even if neither of you have ever had obvious cold sores - one of you could still have hsv1 orally. About 60% of adults do have it but only 20-40% of them ever get obvious cold sores to know it. You don't need an active cold sore present to transmit the virus either.

Definitely follow up on this is needed.  Visual diagnosis's are wrong sometimes.  Let us know how you were diagnosed and what testing, if any, you and your man have had and we can help you figure out what to do next.

grace
I too underwent a similar experience, the only difference being that in my case the infection was thankfully on male partner i.e. me. I had posted a similar concern for which i got a reply stating affermatively that you and your partner stand an equal chance that you might have contracted the HSV1 during your childhood unknowingly which has resulted in a situation you are facing now.