Herpes Community
Herpes on Chin

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes on Chin

Hi Everyone - 13 years ago i performed oral sex on a girlfriend. A few days later i had an outbreak, yellow discharge, crust, etc on my chin. I never did see the girlfriend again and wasnt able to ask her about it. Anyway, i didnt give it much thought at the time because it went away. Since that time, ive averaged at least 2 outbreaks per year. Always in the same spot on my chin. I went to a dermatologist 10 years ago and she confirmed that it was herpes but did not tell me whether hsv-1 or hsv-2. Ive never had symptoms on my penis. For the past 10 years, i have only been with my wife. Whenever i get an outbreak these days, they usually are very small, a single small blister, that goes away pretty quickly - this is probably due to my very healthy lifestyle and diet. I always put a bandaid over it and tell her to stay away until it is completely gone. I always take great precaution, washing my hands, using clean towels, etc. It seems that i get it after i shave so i now wear a beard which probably also lowers the amount of times that i get it. I also take a lysine supplement periodically and have eliminated chocolate, nuts, and other foods high in arginine from my diet. My wife has never shown any symptoms, ever, and there have been times in the past where i performed oral sex on her (obviously never with an outbreak or around times that ive had an outbreak) which is why i am writing- she is pregnant now, and as a first time dad, just worried about everything in general. Just got an outbreak today for the first time in a year probably due to the stress of pending fatherhood. Just want to confirm that i have nothing to worry about with the baby and mommy. Is there anything else i should be doing in the meantime? Thanks everyone - your response is much appreciated
the lysine /arginine connection never panned out outside of the test tube. no need to change your diet and lysine hasn't been shown to increase speeding of herpes lesions.   they are actually using arginine now to treat herpes which further backs the futility of eliminating food groups from your diet.  

you and your wife need to seek out type specific herpes igg blood tests to see who has what. since she is pregnant this is especially important. you can't take precautions against herpes if you don't know who has what.

grace
Thanks for responding Grace. I will get the test. One final question - how likely is it that my wife genitally contracted herpes from me giving her oral sex without any symptoms present on me or symptoms developed on me even days after? Remember, i usually get it on my chin and get it 1-2x per year. Just trying to weigh the odds at this point until i can confirm with the blood tests. My wife has never had anything close to displaying any symptoms and we've been together for over 10 years.
she hasn't had symptoms so odds are you haven't given her herpes but you'll both need tested to see who has what. even though your symptoms occurred originally after you had had oral sex with a partner, I'm assuming you also kissed her before performing oral so no way to know if you have hsv1 or hsv2 orally without testing.
Grace - thanks much. This was helpful.