Herpes Expert Forum
Herpes on buttocks

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Herpes on buttocks

I've had herpes for over 25 years.  Initial outbreak on lower back and since then on lower back and buttocks.  I take valacyclovir when I get the first sign.  My question is how contagious am I? I noticed a little red bump on my buttock last night and took a pill right away.  There were no blisters.  About 2 hours later my boyfriend may have touched it with his hand. How worried should I be? I read in Terri Warren's brochure that herpes on the thick skin may not shed.  Also is herpes less contagious after 20 years?
Oh my.  Shingles rarely recurs in the healthy adult.  I am virtually certain this was your genital herpes.  And it seems that your dermatologist agreed.  So I don't know if your boyfriend didn't get your herpes, already has herpes or what.  Has he actually been tested?  If not, he should be.  And if he is uninfected, I would recommend daily therapy for you and at least for a while, condoms if he is concerned about transmission.

Terri
Thick skin without an outbreak is not infectious, but thick skin with on is contagious.  Also, even though your outbreaks are not technically genital, you will shed virus from the genital tract when you have outbreaks in the extragenital area, like buttocks.  

EVen if your boyfriend got a little virus on his hand, which isn't very likely, it probably won't infect him unless he has a break in his hand exactly where he touched the virus.  Not likely at all, do you agree?  

Herpes is usually less contagious as people age, but not for everyone.  

Does this help?  

Terri
Yes your answer helps.  I never knew this information.   I had two long term relationships where condoms weren't not used and I didn't avoid sex when I had an outbreak. No doctor ever warned me about this risk. Not sure what to think now as I always thought it was from the blisters that I could pass it on.
Hi Terri just thought of something to add about my history, it happened so long ago.  When I first got an outbreak it was very large painful blisters on my waist area and my doctor said it was shingles and no medication was given (1986). It kept coming back monthly but still she said it was shingle for a whole year.  During that year I met a new boyfriend and we took no precautions.  Finally I was diagnosed by a dermatologist and given acyclovir which was new then.  After that I just put bandages on my sores but no condom.  My boyfriend never displayed any symptoms. Did we get lucky or is it possible I don't shed from the genital track?