Herpes Community
Herpes on the hip

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes on the hip

I periodically have an outbreak in the exact same place just above my hip..first I thought it was shingles...but it's always in the same spot...about three blisters...then within a week it's on the mend...can you have herpes on places like that on your body?

martha
Shingles doesn't reoccur like that.

Genital herpes can cause lesions anywhere in the entire boxer short area which includes the hip. follow up on this with your provider to see what it is. It does sound suspicious for herpes though.

grace
I was diagnosed "eons" ago with genital herpes...and rarely if ever have an outbreak anymore in that area...maybe once a year and ever so mild at that.  The reason I thought is was herpes is after the third time it happened...it "always" without fail is in the same spot...literally!  I find it odd, but can deal with it.  Contrary to some opinions I find Lysine to be extremely helpful when I do have an outbreak...and I try to avoid Arginine (don't know if I spelled that right) rich foods...but then thats just me.  Thanks for the info...but one more question; why does shingles get ruled out so easily based on my query?

martha
Shingles only reoccurs more than 1 time in about 5% of folks. Reoccuring multiple times is even rarer.  That's how I can easily confirm that it's not shingles. Coupled together with the fact that you already know you have genital herpes - it's pretty much a no brainer to be honest.

grace

Thank you for all the info...not a no brainer for me initially...I thought I had shingles but it was such an isolated and small area...then the reoccurrence is what was making me wonder. I'd rather not have shingles...I can deal with this although we would all rather not have to...thanks again.

martha
Is your partner hsv2+ too?

grace
no; he is not...we've been married well over 14 years and he's never had any outbreak...I'm pretty in tuned to my body...the predrome signs etc....i've had this for over 30 years...this area of outbreak is new and more frequent than i'm even accustomed to previously...i have it "soo" under control that it's never been an issue..this is my third outbreak in a year and ahalf...new spot...just plain weird.

martha
by the way...i've kinda tried to keep a log of sorts...stress seems to be the distinguishing factor pre-each out break...but then i won't have a real good graph until i have a few more outbreaks...hoping not to have that luxury!...ha, ha.

martha
how about in the wrist  hand      the wrist 3 small blister .
started last THur. like allergy got red  swellen no pause.
still red look like another week will go a way.
could herpes can happien above the hand?
thanks
martha - why not get your hubby tested to see what his status is to see if you even still have to worry about transmission?  Don't rely just on no symptoms as meaning he is hsv2 negative.

grace
what's the purpose of having him tested aside from knowing whether he's negative or positive?...not to sound ignorant...although i guess it does sound that way.  ??

martha
Well if he already has hsv2 then you know you no longer have to be worried about transmission at all.  If he's hsv2 then when you have lesions on your hip area you can still have sex even if you are interested in it at the time ( because it doesn't sound like they would be lesions in an area that would be uncomfortable during sex ).  

grace
lol!...gottacha!....you have been a huge help!  thank you sooo much.

martha