Herpes Community
Herpes on throat

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes on throat

Ok so Im writing you for my husband. Im pretty sure I have herpes type 2 and about 2 weeks ago we had sex then he came down with his throat hurting very badly, his throat swelled and turned white, he has no other symtoms (symptoms) of H1 anywhere else is it possible to get H1 only in the throat, He went to the ER the other day they did a strep test that turned out to be negitive then followed up with a doctor the next day. Now hes on an 500mg antibotic (antibiotic) 2x a day, a antiviral 500mg 3x a day and vicoden every 6 hrs. What could this be and if it is herpes type 1 is there anything he can do or take so that he dosent have to go through this pain agine he had to miss 3 days of work because of this, we have to do something to make this more managable.

Thank you,
TA
Let's clear up something I think you are confused about.

HSV-1 and HSV-2 can be in either location oral or genital.  Just because you have a genital infection doesn't mean you have HSV-2.  There is no reason to be pretty sure.  You should be tested to know your own HSV status.  If positive you will not know which site is infected but you will know your status.  HSV-1 is more often found in the oral area and HSV-2 in the genital.  HSV-2 rarely is oral but can be.

Did they do a culture of his throat for HSV?  Would have been helpful if they did.  The fact they have given him medicine makes me think that they believe it is bacterial infection which is common.  When I was warried and we had oral sex often and I mean often I would come down sometimes with sore throat / streph.  

I would strongly suggest him getting HSV tested.  Reason behind this while I know its early to tell if he has it, it will serve as a base line if negative.  This will tell him his status prior to the sexual act.  If positive then chances are this could be an inital infection but really most oral inital infection has blisters on the gums and is extrmely painful that way.  

If there was no culture done then if his tests are negative repeat his blood test using again a type specific IgG test in 12 weeks.  This should give you an answer.

Wish there was an easy answer.
ok i see your point about h1 and h2 i dont know which one i have but im pretty sure i have one of them.....no they did not do a HSV test on hubby. He is going to see a ear nose and throat dr. on the 20th its the earliest they could get him in. I had just never heard of HSV on the throat at all with no other sores at all any where.
too late at this point to accurately diagnose herpes orally on him if they didn't already do a viral throat culture on his symptoms to look for herpes.    He's had symptoms for a few days plus he's on antivirals so you might never get accurate answers as to if this is herpes or not.

It sounds like neither of you have had proper herpes testing before this?  Both of you getting type specific herpes igg blood tests now and if he is completely negative, repeating his in a few months, might give better answers or might not. If he is hsv2 negative now and hsv2 + in a few months, still doesn't mean that this was hsv2 orally. Hope that makes sense.  A blood test only tells you what you have, not where you have it at.

grace