Herpes Community
Herpes or other infections?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes or other infections?

Hi. About 3.5 weeks ago, I had an unprotected oral sex and nothing else. After 2 days of exposure, my inner tight and scrotum became itchy. It simply has all of the dry skin symptoms like flaky, scaling, rough and dry texture and whites patches. I have no idea whether I have scratched it too hard as there are small red patches that are painful to touch; but it heals in 2-3days and reappear 3-5 days again later on different spots. However, I did not experience flu-like symptoms such as fever, body muscle ache and fatigue. Apart from it, there was no unusual discharge, swelling on the penis and burning sensation when urinate. After observing everyday for the past 3.5 weeks, I neither see blister nor feel a burning and tingling sensation. I am quite concern whether I should go for a herpes test as 28 days window period is reaching. Whatever dry skin symptoms I mentioned does not appear on my penis. Thanks!
Hey BigJohn,
What you describe does not sound like herpes. Here are the reasons~
*Herpes would not cause dry flaking skin, scaly skin, or white patches.  What you describe sounds like jock itch.  

*Herpes would last a week to two weeks, not stay for a few days then disappear then reappear a few days later.  Fungal infections would.  Jock itch is a fungal infection.

*Herpes would not first appear on the scrotum but appear on the site of infection.  In this scenario it would appear on the shaft of the penis from her  mouth rubbing the virus into your mucus membrane on the penis.

*If you already have hsv-1 orally then you wouldn't get it genitally.  Your body would already have the antibodies for this virus.  hsv-2 orally is very rare and is usually found in the gay community.  
Hi, On the issue of testing. If you have a regular partner then test  for all std,s except HIV. It is possible to contract hsv1 in the genital area even if you have it orally but the risk would be quite low but none the less does exist and testing would be recommended for the protection of a long term partner.
If you dont have a regular partner, test if you have symptoms like a white urethra discharge or urethra irritation or if any sores develop.
Once again I am having doubt. On day 26, I have not bathed for 2 days due to some reasons. My inner tight gotten worse, both sides of inner tight are experiencing super big patch of red skin. It was freaking itchy but do not have any blister, pain to touch, tingling and burning sensation. It even spread to the shaft of my penis. Here is my question, what is the
What is the probability of herpes showing up on day 26. Apart from herpes, will receiving oral be at risk to hiv? Will genital touching be at risk to hiv too? Thanks!
Hi John,
Sounds like you should be going to a an urgent care, doctor or ER to have someone look at the patches.  From your description, it could well be gential (genital) herpes.  They could probably run a swab across the red patches and the area on your penis to find out.

But, it could definitely be something else.  Something easy to treat.  You won't know until you get seen.

Let us know what you find out.
Oral is not a risk for HIV and a low positive should show up at 26 days.
I went to consult a neighbourhood doctor and he told me it was fungal infection. I did not tell him about the unprotected oral sex that I had. If it was a herpes, would he be able to differentiate it easily? Again - is genitals rubbing be at risk to hiv (can state reasons for this please). Thanks!
A doctor familar with herpes could be somewhat accurate in a visual.
HIV is contracted through unprotected insertive vaginal/anal sex,
sharing  IV drug needles and mother to child, that how is contracted not through oral sex.
Hi. Sorry for the trouble again. All in all, I would like to reach a conclusion regarding this herpes problem. Up to date (day 30), I did not experience any possible herpes sort of flu-like symptoms (fever, headache, sore throat, muscle ache and fatigue). Also have no burning sensation when urinate and no unusual discharge. I did mentioned from my older posts that I had dry, flaky, scaling and white patches from day 2-25. Small painful red patches did appeared about 5 to 6 times just within these 25 days. On day 25-30, I am experiencing super big scaly red patches on my inner tight. On these red patches, I feel NOTHING but itchy only. No blisters or cuts have been found. I did also mentioned it spread to my shaft of penis, but it do not even feel itchy. And I have only did 1x unprotected oral. What's are the odd of having herpes. Just wanted to know upfront as I have booked an appointment for herpes type 2 testing tomorrow already.
I would like to add on some points. The scaly red patches do fit the descriptions of ringworm, which is in circular pattern and the edges are more clearly defined with skin that are peeling off. With a neighbourhood doctor diagnosed it visually as a fungal infection, should I even go to a specialised std clinic to do testing?
Just having reoccuring red patches is not consistant with herpes outbreaks but maybe exema (eczema)
Hi. It has been quite a while ago. I did HSV type 2 testing, and it was negative. I had little knowledge on HSV and that is the reason why I did HSV 2 testing only (I thought anything that deal with genital is type 2). Now I have the knowledge that HSV 1 can also affect genital. So here is my question, do I need to go back to do a HSV type 1 testing accordingly to the informations I have given. One fact I saw from the net, it states that if HSV type 1 infect a person genital area, the severity and occurrence rate would be lesser compare to type 2, is this info correct? Thanks!
Well you could test for HSV1, but if it is positive it is more likely an oral infection. Now that would be useful as it pretty much rules out you having a genital infection from oral sex.

Only a genital swab of a lesion will confirm a genital HSV1 infection for you.