Herpes Community
Herpes or something else...?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes or something else...?

I am a 24 y.o. female who recently had really rough sex with my boyfriend. About a day after sex, I noticed that my labia minora had been very sore/swollen. I originally thought the pain was cuts because of lack of lubrication. Over the next couple of days, a rather large bump had formed. The bump was still painful and though it never "blistered" like my heel does when I wear new shoes, it ended up forming a yellow "rawness" look to it. In addition to the bump, I was having irritable urination and my glands were swollen/sore in my genital area. I went to the doctor who immediately told me it looked like herpes. She performed a "swab" test which apparently came back positive for herpes (after two days). I have had two additional bumps since the first one (approximately 4 days ago), one on the hood of my clitoris and one on my labia majora. I am questioning now because my boyfriend and I have been completely exclusive and he did not/does not have symptoms. The doctor put me on acyclovir and it really hasn't done anything. I do not think that I actually have herpes because neither my boyfriend or I have ever had any issues in the past and I'm wondering if the test could be a false positive.

Also, could it be possible that I could have another type of infection? Yeast / bacteria?
Cultures or swabs are highly reliable and the fact that your doctor immediately told you that your symptoms resembled herpes makes it even more conclusive. You do have herpes. It's possible that your boyfriend has herpes although he's never had symptoms that resembled herpes, but it's also possible that he doesn't have herpes and you could have got herpes from a previous partner. Unless you tested negative before having sex with your boyfriend, theoretically there is no definitive way to pin this on him although it's more likely than not that he is the source if his test result is positive. Around 80% of people with herpes are asymptomatic, so your case is not uncommon. It's also possible that you acquired genital herpes through oral sex, which would be HSV-1. 50%+ of the U.S. population has HSV-1, and if your boyfriend has ever had a cold sore and you never have had one then it's possible you were infected this way.

Your herpes diagnosis is definitive, and it's possible to get a yeast infection or BV during the same time as a herpes outbreak, but that would have likely been observed by your doctor.

Were you or your partner tested for herpes before entering this relationship? Your partner should be tested before resuming sex, and if he is positive for the same type of HSV, then there are no precautions that need to be taken during sex, and it's more likely than not you acquired this from him. Be sure he gets tested with a type specific IgG blood test for HSV-1 and HSV-2.

Was your herpes swab typed by your doctor as HSV-1 or HSV-2?