Herpes Community
Herpes outbreak for more than a year.

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes outbreak for more than a year.

I would like to know if it is possible to have an outbreak for over a year while using Valtrex?  This I do not understand.  I was tested positive for HSV over 10 years ago.  First I was on Acyclovir for about a month with no response to the medicince.  Because I was unresponsive the doctor switched me to Valtrex, and still no response.  I was using Valtrex for over a year before the (supposed) outbreak cleared up.  My Gyn did not understand neither did I.  Just stated I had a severe case.  

Background information from 10 years ago - I have had multiple STD test and they all come back negative, only positive for HSV.  Even the HIV tests came back negative.  So I am not understanding.

Well it is was well over 10 and I had no outbreaks until about a year ago.  Since I am under the impression that I have Herpes I asked my doctor for another Valtrex prescription and the sores will not go away.  Again it has been over a year.

Can anybody advise of what may be going on or has this happened to anyone.    
Were these symptoms confirmed to be herpes with a swab/culture? It's highly doubtful that your symptoms are herpes related at this point. Did the doc test for anything else? Bacterial or fungal infection?

As well, unless you know for certain that your testing 10 years ago was by swab/culture and/or IgG type specific blood test (and you know the numeric test results), I'd advise also being retested (again, IgG type specific). But constant symptoms for a year is almost certainly not herpes.
It's unfortunate that your gyn did not seek out additional testing for you when you didn't respond to suppressive therapy that first month with acyclovir :(   You definitely need a better work up done. In fact, I recommend stopping the valtrex at this point and when you get new symptoms, go and be seen within 24-48 hours of their appearance for a lesion culture and typing.  You need a much better work up done at this point as petal has suggested.  

grace
It was confirmed by blood work only.  My initial GYN lost the results to the culture test and I lost faith in him and switched to another.  The second GYN confirmed via two separate blood test only.  I am scheduling another appointment tomorrow, because I just don't understand what's going on.  By the way this will be GYN number 3.
Thanks to you both for your responds.
Can you call and get the blood test results to post for me? All I need are the actual numeric results - ie hsv1 igg 4.3 and hsv2 igg 3.9 or whatever they are.

Also just because you know you have hsv2, doesn't mean that it's the cause of everything. Only a very teeny percentage of folks don't get significant relief on herpes antivirals. Odds are that since you are 1 - having symptoms for an entire year and 2 - not responding to antivirals that this isn't herpes going on currently regardless of if you had accurate blood testing done or not.

grace
I dont remember what my numbers were, but I am scheduled to be re-tested by a new doctor on Saturday once I get the results I will let you know.
Had the test done and results negative for HSV.  Now waiting for doctors respond to see what's next.  This has been a frustrating journey.  Only to find out I have been misdiagnosed.  However for some reason I still do not feel a sense of relief.  I maybe because diagnosis is still unknown.
when is the gyn having you come back for more tests?  You might also want to seek out a dermatologist too - they can work together to figure out what is going on!

I'm glad you got more testing done though so they can stop saying herpes and take the time to get to the bottom of this all.

grace