Herpes Expert Forum
Herpes risk, protected, one time
About This Forum:

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Herpes risk, protected, one time

Hi

I had protected vaginal sex with a female, it was just a few minutes and not vigorous, I did not ejaculate. The condom was intact and other than a bit of touching with my fingers no other vaginal contact was made, no oral sex was given or received.

She told me afterwards she has HSV2, for past 5 years, that she hasn't had an out real for a long while and she isn't currently having one. She said when she does the lesions appear on her lower back and not on her genital area.

I know sex isn't risk free... But realistically what are the chances I have picked up herpes from this encounter? The paranoia is well and truly in action and I would like some factual answers, positive or negative... The net offers up a lot on conflicting information.
55646 tn?1263664409
I think the risk is incredibly low.  Did she tell you if she is taking antiviral therapy?

Terri
3 Comments
Blank
Thanks for the response.

She didn't but judging by some other comments made I don't believe she would be taking them.
Blank
55646 tn?1263664409
Still, even without that, your risk is still incredibly low.

Terri
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank
Marathon Running Done Over Many Yea...
May 21 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank