Herpes Expert Forum
Herpes swab test

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Herpes swab test
Hello! I would like to ask, if oral sex was performed the night before or just prior to a swab test taken on a suspected blister on the labia, will there be a possibility of the highly sensitive PCR test to come back positive for GHSV1 from the saliva of someone who has oral HSV1?

Thank you
The next day is almost too soon for something to show up in a swab test.  usually the incubation period from infection to a positive test is about 5 days, but could show up as early as two days.  

Terri
Hi Terri thank you for your response :) I should clarify, the blister was already present for 3-4 days from a suspected infection from oral sex a week prior to its appearance. My question is, if oral sex was performed again a couple of hours before taking a swab, will the PCR pick up the HSV1 virus from the saliva of the partner and therefore give a false positive result, say, if the blister was only caused by a yeast or bacterial infection?

Thank you very much
Well, if there was HSV 1 present in the mouth of the giver of oral sex, I suppose it is possible that virus would show up.  But if you are asking if it possible that HSV 1 could be present in the genital area while a sore is there also that is not caused by herpes, the answer would be yes, but the coincidence is amazing.

Terri