Herpes Community
Herpes symptoms

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes symptoms

I am almost certain that I have herpes, and possibly some other STD.  Going in for tests on Monday.  Was what everyone thought of this case, and if anyone had anything similar.  

Late August, had unprotected oral with foreign sex worker.  Lots of body rubbing and massage.  Only sexual encounter.  Incredibly stupid.  Peer pressure, ridiculous I now.

Few days later, entire genital region itches and burns.  Especially scrotum and lower shaft of penis. Think I got jock itch from being in tropical place.  Occasional sharp stabbing pain coming from tip of penis/urethra.  When I press in certain places at the tip of the glans (glands), I get a stinging pain.  To this day, three months later, these symptoms continue.

Two weeks later, tried jock itch meds, no effect, the itching spreads to my anus.  At this point I think I have contracted a yeast infection.  

Fast forward three months from the date of the sexual encounter (now), get a single blister/pimple/bump on upper right buttock.  Itchy, burning.  I scratch it, and it breaks open.  Just blood, no pus, no fluid that I can see Scabs over in about 10 days.  Just as that one is healing, another one forms right next to it.  This is where I am right now.

What do you guys think?  Herpes?  Everything all related?

I am at a loss of how I could get herpes from this encounter (even though it was a foreign sex worker, heh...).  I distinctly remember getting a cold sore when I was young, so I figure I already have HSV-1 (i could be wrong of course).  Therefore, I wouldn't be able to contract from the oral.  If it's HSV-2, then only possiblity is I got it from the body rubbing.  Also odd that blisters would show up on the buttocks three months later, but previous non-sore symptoms were all in genital region.  

Thoughts?  

did you have actual sex or just an erotic massage?

Hi Grace, I received oral sex (unprotected).
have u been seen by any doctor or test for herpes?
No, but i'm going tomorrow.
this isn't likely to be herpes going on from this encounter. symptoms of herpes will not last for 3 months.  

certainly go and be seen and get some basic testing done.

also fyi - jock itch is a yeast infection.
Did you have any lymph nodes pain?
No pain in lymph nodes.  But I am pretty sure that if I have herpes this is a recurrent outbreak, and not my primary -- the bumps being 3 months after risky oral sex encounter, and not directly in genital region.

Went to PP today.  Tested for HIV, Gon, Clam, and Syph.  Said that the 2 bumps on my butt very well could be herpes, especially after an encounter with a prostitute, but they didn't know and that since they weren't oozing they couldn't do a swab.  Said that the genital itching and pain at tip of penis could be related, as herpes lives in the nerves and could be upsetting things.  Also, said herpes 1 + 2 are very commonly received from oral sex, which is different than the info here and in HHH's forum.  Wrote me a prescription for a HerpeSelect test, which I have to get done elsewhere.    

More about the bumps, in exact detail.  Around 12 days ago, I was in the shower and noticed a very itchy bump on top left buttock.  Started scratching it harshly and I think I squeezed it.  It broke from this and continued to itch and stuff for another 5 days.  At this point, I noticed that there was a hair in the middle of it, and thought because of that it might be folliculitis, so I decided to pull out the hair.  For some reason, I also pulled out the hair directly to the left of it.  The next morning, where I pulled out the hair, there was another bump there.  I think this one burst too, though I'm not sure if it was from me fiddling with it or not.  Anyway, as of right now, there is a scab that fell off the first one, and now it's sort of a bump/cyst where the second one is.  The weird thing is after the second one scabbed over -- it seemed to form a bump as opposed to just becoming flat and new skin.  

Not sure if that was helpful info at all.
I should add that these are both very small legions, and directly connected to each other to where it looks like a single red circle.  But if you look closely, it's two separate things.  
The information they gave you about hsv2 and oral sex was wrong. not many folks have hsv2 orally and those who do, it doesn't shed very often to be transmitted to the genital area. unfortunately even workers at PP don't always have up to date accurate info :(  

these could be herpes but also many other things they can be.
This keeps spreading every week.  Just as I think it's going away, another one forms.   I'm going on my third week with this rash, and I get a new blister every week.  So if it is herpes, I am breaking out weekly?  WTF?  I'm at a loss for what it could be if not herpes.  Seems too superficial to be folliculitis, and there really aren't many other possibilities as I was browsing skin conditions.    

After taking doxycycline, the pain in my penis seems to be getting better.  So I guess I got at least 2 STDs from this oral sex encounter.  I'm now nervously awaiting an HIV test result...  I'm very bummed out, and I think I'm going to lose my relationship of 5 years from this stupid mistake.
follow up as needed.  more likely something non-herpes going on as I've said previously.
Results of herpes select test were negative and negative (less than .90 for hsv-1 and hsv-2).  Awaiting culture that will take 2 weeks.  

I don't think this test can be right, as I specifically remember having a cold sore as a child (could be wrong though, as it was 20 years ago).  How accurate is the blood test?  Dr. said if infection of hsv-1 or hsv-2 is acute, then it wouldn't show up on the blood test.  Does acute mean recently acquired, or that I'm currently in an outbreak?
even the best herpes blood tests still miss 1 out of every 10 hsv1 infections. if you know you have a history of cold sores, odds are you really do have hsv1 orally.  

many of the blood tests are 98% accurate for hsv2 if you've waited at least 12 -16 weeks after the last time you had sex.   if it's been less than that time since you last had sex, a newly acquired herpes infection might not show up on the blood tests.
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers