Herpes test results
I have a question regarding test accuracy for HSV. My exgirlfriend had a genital herpes. She told me when we started dating. I was ok with that given that we avoided oral sex and used condom everytime. 3 months into the relationship I had a big virus infection in my throat I was pretty sick (high fever etc.) The thing is at the time eye infecion occured (bacterial one) and a light "tingling" in my urethra (nothing serious). The eye infection was treated by ophthalmo antibiotics and the "tingling" was not treated at all (doctor said it might be some urethra infection triggered by lowered imune system during general infection). 3 months after that (1 month ago) the tingling was back as I am no longer in the ralationship I have decided to take HSV test to be sure I have not contracted the infecion (not to infect any futre partner).

The test was "HSV1+2 IgM, IgG" the test results showed:
AB/HSV1+2 IgM 0.21 (acceptable range 0-0.2)
AB/HSV1+2 IgG 1100 (acceptable range 0-230)

The lab doctor wrote on the sheath: Probably triggered infection (best transaltion I could make)

My question is: High level of IgG and low level of IgM (alomst negative) is supposed to mean the infection has been contracted long ago (months), correct? So I was probably infected back then when the first "tingling" appeared" Or could the high levels of IgG remain in the body after that serious throat infection?
I did not experinece any blisters (cold sores) or anything like this.

Thanks for the help.
I appologize for my crude English

Joe

excellent nickname choice :)

unfortunately all your herpes testing was the wrong testing you had done.  you need to have it repeated with type specific herpes igg blood testing. you will get 1 result for hsv1 and 1 result for hsv2. you had combined herpes igg blood testing which isn't helpful and also combined igm testing which is no longer recommended.  Unfortunately since I assume you are not in the US, I am pretty limited with test results since often the same tests we use in the US aren't used in other countries.

grace
Thanks a lot.

The lab also offers Western Blot (HSV WB IgM, IgG) is this the test to take?
I am given to understand that I should wait a bit longer than 1 month (maybe 8 weeks?) from my last intercourse, is this correct?

Best regards
Joe
Wb testing isn't available as an igm test.  I'd doubt that the testing offered was actual WB testing like we recommend.  

you need to wait at least 3 months post encounter for igg blood testing to be accurate.  
OK, got it.
I will call the lab and ask them about the WB test. Do I need to ask them something specific regarding the test to determine whether it is the right one or not?

Joe
the testing should be type specific.

you might want to look for a herpes support group in your country. they can probably better help you with finding the right testing at a lab near you better than I can.