Herpes Expert Forum
Herpes testing

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Herpes testing

Had unprotected sex with ex this past weekend. We were together for just over two years and I never had reason to believe she'd cheated. About 6 months after our split we'd both been independently tested for STDs and were clean. However, I didn't know that Herpes wasn't typically part of the "package."

At any rate, it had been about two years since we were together. The day after we were together I noticed one small bump on my inner thigh, which looked like a pimple. It's still there, but looks like it's going away. A little dry now and I didn't agitate it all. Two days ago my throat started to hurt and has progressively gotten worse, even with medicine. This past Tuesday I itched a bit near my shaft and felt what was like bump starting to form. By Thursday, nothing. Is it too early to get tested? I will ask her about her recent history, but it's literally middle of the night and my throat woke me up.

In that two year period I've been with two others, both protected, but I know nothing about one of the women.  Prior to this weekend I haven't really noticed anything out of the ordinary (last sexual encounter was December 2008). A few months after that last encounter I noticed a pencil-eraser sized bump on the shaft of my penis. It freaked me out, but w/n three days it was completely gone. It looked like a big pimple but aside from a little blood, it wasn't ready to burst before it completely went away.

I work out about three times a week (pimple on leg?) and work with teenagers (sick from one of them?) so it could all just be coincidence and my OCD. The combination of factors has my mind in overdrive!

I'm getting tested regardless, but is it too soon for testing to mean anything?
Its too soon to be tested re:  infection recently by your ex, yes.  But it isn't too soon to get a baseline antibody test to compare to when you get retested in 4 months.  If you antibody test now and she does also, and you are both negative and you've had no other partners in the past four months, then you don't need retesting.  

None of the symptoms that you've described, including a sore throat, sound specific for herpes infection.  Nothing you have said worries me in particular.  But I think testing would help put your mind at rest.  You can order a HSV 1 and 2 IGG on your own over the internet, and one site I like is healthcheckusa.com.  Don't order the IgM, only IgG.

Terri
By the way, I have read the several postings about waiting four months. I'm just wondering if there's anything I can/need to do in the meantime besides wait.
Nope, nothing to do but wait for you.  But has she been tested?  If she tested and is negative, and you've had no other partners in the past four months, then you should be fine.

Terri