Herpes Expert Forum
Herpes testing

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Herpes testing

I recently (Feb 23) had my first  HSV 2 break-out (acute in genital region) which occurred 4 days after having sexual intercourse with my partner of 2.5 years. It was confirmed via culture(Feb 27) done at my GYN as HSV2; negative for HSV1 (and negative for Syphilis).  A day later (Feb 28) I took a serum IgG test which tested negative for HSV1 and HSV2 and 1.6 on IgM.  According to my GYN, this indicates I recently contracted HSV2 and given he has been my only sexual partner in three years, I contracted it from him.  Prior to engaging in sex with him in 2010 I had been tested 4 months after my previous partner and was negative for all STDs. He "told" me at the time he was free of STDs. I assumed I didn't need proof in the form of a test but in retrospect should have.

I believe my partner had former knowledge of having HSV2.  I sent him all sorts of medical articles on IgG being the definitive test in which he needed.  He stalled and stalled and finally got an IgM test (against everything I suggested and he's a highly intelligent attorney).  He went through "MyMedLab" (Mar 21-I believe circumventing going to his doc) and his results were:
HSV, IgM I/II Combination
HSV, IgM I/II Combination
1.09

He is insisting that he doesn't have genital Herpes and the IgM test is sufficient "as evidence of such". Can you kindly confirm if his testing is actually accurate or whether or not he needs to have an IgG test.  He later admited to having approximately 20 different sexual partners during the time we were seeing each other (unbeknownst to me).  

Also, is there any reason I should be tested in the future (4months) for HSV1?  

Needless to say, he's now in my past.

Thanks for your professional insight. And as I will be forwarding the correspondence to him, can you kindly note your credentials (he's a know- it- all attorney).
The IgM test is useless, so many false positives.  And also, in the person who has established HSV 2, it may not be positive at all, or may be positive from time to time.  The IgG is the accurate test for HSV 2 infection.  

Your combination of test results (first negative IgG then positive swab test) does indicate that you have new infection, yes.  You are positive on your swab test and negative on your antibody test, which means that not enough time has gone by for antibody to have developed, but you do have virus present on your skin.  

It is possible that he didn't know he was infected, but getting the wrong test after being told which test was correct?  And if he read that IgM is present with new infection, but he just happened to order that test?  

If he is wondering about my credentials, he should know that I have articles published in the New England Journal of Medicine, Journal of the American Medical Association, Lancet, Journal if Infectious Disease.  Twenty-eight articles in all in the best journals.  

And if that isn't enough for him to get to know my credentials?  You can tell him I was the expert witness in a case in Oregon where a dentist was ordered to pay 925K to a partner he had sex with, infected (with documentation like you) her with HSV 2, because he didn't tell her before they had sex that he had herpes, even though he knew he had it.  He could Google this.  

I'm sorry about your infection.  I don't know if he knew he had herpes or not, but if he did, he clearly should have told you before having sex with you.

Terri
Sorry, IgM results didn't copy properly; they are as follows (in relation to initial question):

HSV, IgM I/II Combination
HSV, IgM I/II Combination
1.09
I'm not sure why these results are not copying over in the message (they show up when copied and pasted but then don't stick) but the results came in at .91 negative.