Herpes Community
Herpes transmission

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes transmission

There is so much information, but there is not exact answers! So please tell me:
1. How long herpes virus live in inanimate objects and is active for trasmission?
2.What is the way for contracting with herpes for a little child?
3. If somebody in the family have a cold sore, is there need for desinfection  for  a door handles, glasses etc. ?
you are not going to get herpes from an inanimate object unless it's a sex toy you are sharing with a partner with herpes ( as in sharing it during the same sex encounter without washing it properly in between or using a condom on it and changing the condom between the two of you ).  The virus does live for hours on solid surfaces but it breaks down and isn't likely to be transmitted that way.  

small children get oral herpes from their caretakers and playmates. if they contract genital herpes it is from sexual abuse.  newborns can contract herpes from the mother during birth.  

you absolutely do not have to do any special cleaning when someone in a household has oral herpes!!  

grace
Thank you, Grace!
I have 18 months doughter.
When my baby was 2 weeks old my husband has oral herpes. Is there possibility that my baby have hsv1 since then whitout symptoms? I mean is it possible when she is so young to cath the virus asymptomatic?
The day before the cold sore my husband were with the baby all day...
I have obsessive compulsive disorder since then about oral herpes. If the cashier in supermarket have cold sore I just do not buy anything.... I know that is not normal, but in that moment I think that herpes will be on all things which the cashier will touch...
Thats why I asked you how time herpes live outside the body... My therapist told me to find exact answers for me.

p.s. Thank you for the patience about my awful English.
we don't test children that young for oral herpes.   she hasn't had symptoms and honestly it's not an issue for her until she is sexually active.  

so you will kiss your hubby but you won't buy groceries if the cashier has a cold sore?  that makes no sense whatsoever.  have you even ever been tested to see if you have hsv1 yourself? the majority of people who have hsv1 orally don't get obvious cold sores to know it.

your english is just fine.
That is the problem... I have herpes, AND I am afraid. I had cold sores two or three times in my live. My mother have cold sores often, we don't live in same towns and we do not meet with her when she have outbrake. I am afraid that if somehow... if the cashier have cold sores and he touch his mouth and then my groceries there will be virus on them... and I will touch the groceries then will touch mi baby...or my baby will touch the groceries and then will touch her eyes.
I do not want my child to catch the virus... That's why I was asking how long the virus is active... It's very difficult to have normal live wiht all this in my head, and I reading our conversation and I feel shame... It's difficult and for my husband and my child too...
ok so you already have hsv1 orally yourself so others having it is not an issue at all for you. You aren't going to have herpes on multiple body parts. having it orally gives you significant protection from getting it on other body parts.  you have absolutely NOTHING to fear about oral herpes other than to be careful with  your baby as far as kissing on the mouth or eyes.  your baby will not get herpes from inanimate objects!

even if your baby did get oral herpes at this point in her life, it's likely to just be cold sores and not be anything else. about 1/3 of children in the US alone have hsv1 orally before they enter into kindergarten.  it's very common and thankfully not usually a health issue and is just an inconvenience as you already know first hand from living with it yourself.

Thank  you so much!
Are my conclusions right?
So If nobody do not kiss my baby on her eyes or mouth and do no share food or drings with  her there is no way to catch hsv.
The inanimate objects are no issue becouse if there is virus it is inactive to transmit, and it is just like it is not there.
Thanks again!
correct -those are the most common sense and best precautions you can take when you have a toddler in the house :)

Hallo :) And Happy New Year!

I have one quastion...  What do you think about Cold Sore Patches? When there is patch on the cold sore is dificult to infect other person, isn't it?
covering the actual cold sore isn't really protecting others. you still shed the virus from the orolabial area as well as from the actual cold sore.