Herpes Community
Herpes treatment (over the counter)

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes treatment (over the counter)

Hey, does anyone know if theres anything to buy over the counter that will speed up healing process/sort out the immense pain/ and help with peeing with herpes? Ive tried a few things, tea tree and olbas oil seems to get rid of them when i feel im getting a tingling sensation but once there fully there i find it really difficult to get them to leave.  I wouldnt mind going to my doctors but i get them so regularly i would be there every other month! Ive recently tried germolene which controls the pain for a bit but peeing still causes so much pain for me.  Ive heard of applying ice packs and damp cold tea bags but is there anything more effective? And am i doing the right thing by applying essential oils and germolene? I dont wna cause more damage than good! Please help if you have any suggestion x
Are you taking medication ? If not I would suggest starting Suppressive Therapy such as Valtrex or Aciclovir on a daily basis rather than topical applications that may cause more irritation than good .....
Dynamiclear works great for me. The only thing is it only works on an open blister but it works fast and is worth the price.
Thanks for replying, im not any medication so i might look into buying the aciclovir at the chemist or online, thanks again x
If you are having ob's every other month then definitely suppressive therapy with acyclovir is the best choice for you. Why have ob's so often if you don't have to?  Also just treating each ob as they occur isn't very helpful - it helps that ob heal faster but it does nothing to reduce the number of ob's you are having.  If you've never read anything about suppressive therapy - check out the herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com for more info on it. Acyclovir is the cheapest option though you can also use valtrex or famvir.  Topicals are helpful when you have an ob but they do nothing to reduce the number of ob's you are having or reduce shedding of the virus.

grace
Do you have to take them every day for the whole year tho? I really didnt want to have to keep buying tablets and having to take them every day, i know i probably should to help me but i just think what a pain having to spend so much on tablets a year/month.  Thanks for letting me know about the different options, is acyclovir just for genital herpes? I might get it from my local chemist but i dont really want them to know why im asking for it if you catch my drift.  
The herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com goes into treatments in detail. I suggest reading it to better understand the treatment options.

grace