Herpes Community
Herpes via laundry/towel

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes via laundry/towel

Greetings:  I've read in more than one place people saying you can get/spread herpes by washing clothes with someone who is infected.  Also that sharing towels can spread it?  Has anyone validated this?  If so, then I would say this isn't *only* an "STD".  Please let me know your thoughts.  Thanks.
I think you heard this rumur from a punchline of a joke or something. If herpes could spread by towels, I think EVERYONE would be HSV+...
Herpes is easily killed with soap and water. It also doesn't thrive once its away from body temperature.  I have no idea where you are doing your reading at but I think it's time you started reading at reputible sites!!!!  You will not transmit herpes by doing everyone's laundry together.  When it comes to towels it's also very unlikely to be transmitted thru sharing them ( not that folks should be sharing towels anyways - other very common germs are easily transmitted thru sharing them ).  You'd have to be actively shedding the virus, use the towel on that area and rub it vigorously and then hand the towel immediately to someone who'd have to take that same part of the towel and rub it vigorously over their genital area for there to even be the remotest chance that it would trasnmit.  

Pretty much unless you are doing something intimate with someone - transmitting genital herpes isn't an issue.

grace
Thanks for your reply grace.  I read about the clothing and towels on a British "Women's Health" type website... It wasn't a "blog" either, it was published information by the people who maintain content.
Interesting...  To me there is a world of difference between "not likely" and "impossible".
There is a Dr. on another site who said it's possible to spread HIV by kissing.  Possible does not mean likely, but who wants to gamble with that?
Who said that?  There has never ever been one documented cause of HIV transmission by kissing.

There has also never been a documented case of herpes transmission through an inanimate object.

Aj
What about syphllis? Is the syphllis virus as fragile? Can it be spread by sharing towels?