Herpes Community
Herpes/yeast/uti

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes/yeast/uti

Since having skin to skin contact (Penis to vagina, no penetration) oral sex and anal sex all without a condom about 6 separate times in October 2011, I have been having recurrent yeast infections, followed by UTI's. The swabs almost always come back negative for yeast, but the Dr.'s convinced its yeast, then I end up returning with a UTI ( I've had probably 5 yeast infections and 4 UTI's in a year).  A couple of the UTI's have not tested positive either. This always happens right before my period. My symptoms are strange as well. For the yeast infection, I have burning and some discharge but no itching. The UTI, I have a fever, pressure in my pelvic area and a little burning in the area around my urethra. Neither of these occurrences seem to be what is normally experienced. I'm concerned these are actually mild herpes symptoms, and am concerned about my risk of exposure. The yeast infection goes away when treated with cream (3 to 6 days normally) Sometimes oral treatments work, sometimes they don't. The UTI goes away with antibiotics. I have seen several Dr's and all have told me that it's probably just stress, and fluctuating hormones causing the problem, but I'm very concerned. Previous to this exposure, I was in a long term relationship for a year and a half that was mostly oral and only occasional skin to skin contact. So I've only had two partners with skin to skin contact and only one with penetrative anal sex. My questions are as follows: what is the likelihood this is actually misdiagnosed herpes? If it's not Herpes, how can I make it stop ?  I've been doing everything I can, but they keep happening and it's driving me nuts. I should also mention, I got a skin tag on my anus that has propped it open a bit, and sometimes I wonder if that skin tag, which showed up at the same time as these problems, has something to do with it. Like it could be introducing bacteria and yeast into my vagina. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
Tags: Herpes, uti, yeast
have you had full std testing done at the proper times since you had unprotected sex?

have you sought out herpes igg blood testing at all too?

grace
Sorry, I should have included this in the post as well.
I believe so, I had a pap exam and swabs taken several times with these Doctors, as well as an HIV test at 34 days after exposure and a full pap and STD testing, and blood test (Syphilis,HIV) at one year, October 2012. I live in Canada and the Herpes IGG test is hard to get. I finally convinced a Doctor last week on Friday to administer the test. I have to pay for it separately.
I have no idea how accurate the tests here in Canada are, and if I can even get a Western Blot or retest in case the results need to be verified. I'm very nervous about the results. I need your opinion regarding symptoms and if they are likely in your opinion to be Herpes. The burning (all over my vagina, including my labia sometimes) really only lasts the two or three days before my period and generally stops as soon as I put the yeast infection cream on it, but it seems weird that it keeps happening, and is followed by a UTI sometimes, and that it started happening when it did. My questions simplified are as follows:
1)In your opinion, given the information could this be mild Herpes symptoms?

2) If the test results are positive for HSV 2, should I order a confirmatory test as there are no sores to swab? How accurate is the test we use here?

3) If the test results are positive for HSV 1, should I assume the HSV1 is oral, as I have read HSV 1 rarely reoccurs after the first OB genitally. I have no memory of a cold sore, but I know most people test positive for HSV 1. I'm not too worried about HSV 1 coming back positive, as that is so widespread.

4)If I'm HSV2 negative, what do I do about the yeast infections? Should it be tested for rare forms of yeast? Should I demand to see a gynecologist? Could it be something else?

Thank you for your help!
they offer the herpeselect I believe and as you said - you have to pay out of pocket unless an infectious disease or obgyn doctor orders the testing from what I understand.

I don't believe a herpes WB is available any longer to confirm low positives in Canada.

I know it's annoying but keep being seen when you have symptoms. Could even be you have low estrogen getting to your genital area which is causing dryness and irritation as well as uti like symptoms.  Certainly at this point if you are just seeing a GP, getting a referral to a gyn for follow up is in order. If you can find an urogynecologist to see even better - they cover all the plumbing for us gals .

Ok, so got my test results back, and I am negative for both HSV1 and HSV2. I also am negative for yeast, and all STD's. The Dr. is at a loss for what is wrong, and so am I. I'm in my early 20's. Hormonal changes shouldn't be an issue. I'm at a loss.
you can have the hormonal changes at any age. also if you are on birth control pills for contraception, in some folks it prevents estrogen from being properly metabolized in the liver which results in not enough estrogen getting to the actual genital skin which can cause the atrophic vaginitis symptoms as well as urethral spasms which can feel like an uti.  definitely time for the urogynecologist if you are continuing to have symptoms.