Herpes Expert Forum
Herpes??(half of symptoms)

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Herpes??(half of symptoms)

Hi, I am a 22 year old male (uncurcumsized) that has had 4 sexual encounters in my life...all but one unprotected...last year I experienced penile irritation that started with a tingly feeling that transformed in to burning after a 3 days it lasted for almost a month(3 weeks), and went away when I used anti-fungal/steroid cream for three days...I was told by a doc that it was candida from a soap irritant. No blisters or sores!
Exactly one year later I started feeling the exact same symptoms as last time. 2 months later I was still having the pain, then I started having palpitations, twitching (chills/tremor), and fatigue issues, but this burning sensation of my shaft skin persisted. I used the same exact cream I used last time plus 2 other creams, and they didn't help much I thought It was resistant yeast, and the palpitations and twitching(legs) were from anxiety...
A month and a half later I still have these symptoms but yesterday and 2 weeks ago my right groin lymph node was alittle tender( wat is it about the right lymph node??)... And my meatus has become swollen (4 weeks ago until now) when I don't drink enough water my urine burns my urethra slightly... But no fever no headaches no lower back pain and definetly no lesions, blisters, sores, or, ulcers whatsoever only PPP that come and go.
I was tested for every std besides herpes and they were all negative, I got a urine culture wich came back negative and they swabbed my meatus, again negative so I'm starting to think the only thing left is herpes...
Does this sound like herpes to you??
And if I tested negative for all these things is it a strong possibility I have herpes?
Why would it last for almost 4 months??
Men don't often get UTI's but they do get urethritis, inflammation of the urethra, which is technically different.  Amoxicillin is not an appropriate antibiotic to manage this condition.  Traditionally, and by CDC guidelines, azithromycin and doxycycline are used to treat this.  If you were our patient, we might start there

Since antifungal medicine made your skin rash better, I think we can assume it was a fungal infection, that's what I means.

Terri
I haven't had any sexual partners since before my first "outbreak" last year...could excessive harsh masturbation cause this and then turn into a uti?? Thankyou in advance for your response
So let me be clear - you tested for all STD's except herpes?  
I seriously doubt that you have herpes, based on your description.  The steroids creams would have made herpes worse, not better.  The palpitations have nothing to do with herpes, but as you note, some to do with anxiety, perhaps.  The thing about herpes is that it comes and goes - it doesn't stay around for months at a time, as you describe.  It sounds like the first time you treated, the symptoms went away with treating, right?  So we know what that probably was.  

Men usually don't have UTI's because they have a long urethra, and normally bacteria can't make their way up there without first being washed out with urine.  

Do you know if you have had a gram stain done?  Have you had any discharge?  Have you been treated with any antibiotics?

Terri
I dont know how many std's there are out there but ive been tested for the "regular" ones except for herpes. I never even heard of a grain stain... so no, i havent had any discharge, and i took antibiotics (amoxicilin) for a week and the burning stopped but i got a fierce tingling sensation in my urethra... 2 weeks later my meatus was swollen and puffed out, and then my urine started 2 burn...Ive also got lower abominal pain, and body twitches. I forgot to mention that when this first happened last year i had some 4 play with my girlfriend at the time, i dont want to be innapropriate but she masturbated me with her breast (we didnt want to have sex because of my irritation), after we were done i went to the bathroom and saw tiny little papercuts on my shaft, but they werent clustered they were on the sides of my shaft like they had been torn open from friction. i used MYCOLOG ll, and everything stopped after 3 days.

since you said that men dont usually get uti's does that give it a greater chance to be herpes?
what else do you possibly think it could be if not herpes like what can cause skin irritation and urethra inflammation?...i am getting blood tested tomorrow and the test results might take to long to come back and i am very anxious over this.
and what do you mean by "So we know what that probably was."  
Thankyou so much for responding!!!!!!
two doctors told me it looked like candida, two doctors told me it didnt look like candida/fungus/yeast and two doctors said it didnt look like herpes...everything on the internet narrows down to herpes im praying that its a fungus or allergic reaction or too much masturbation...what else could it possibly be Terri?
I have one more question for you, I went to the cardiologist and he reviewed my holter monitor and he said that I might have myocarditis. I looked online and it said that herpes is one of the many causes for myocarditis and it could be fatal... Do you think this could be?? And how common is HSV-1 in the genitals and could I pass it genitally to someone else if they already have it orally??
And I already took azothromicyn, no help
I don't believe that you have myocarditis caused by herpes, no.
I think for now, it best that you stick to asking for advice from the local professional in your own area.  They are in a better position to help you further than I am.

Terri
Hi Terri I was wondering, I should be getting my HSV-2 results tomorrow if I am positive what are the chances that I could have HSV-2 genitally and orally? I have been gettin unusual "canker sores" inside my mouth ( gums, inner lip), and I've done research and sites say that herpes can occur inside the mouth.
Theses sores I get have a white center with a red ring around it like a typical ulcer, they do not blister, and I never had a cold sore yet. I've gotten it 2-3 times in the last 2 years (the last exposure) and they occur one at a time...??
The sores in your mouth sound like apthos uclers (canker sores), not herpes.  Though herpes can certainly be shed from inside the mouth, it most often presents clinically as blisters on the lips or inside the nose.  Some people who have it genitally also have it orally, but it recurs very infrequently in the oral area and sheds on about 1% of days in the HIV negative person.  

Terri
When you say "Some people who have it genitally also have it orally" do you mean either type or HSV-2?? Thanks again!
My HSV-1 is 0.8, and my HSV-2 is 0.1, the Internet really does make you go ABSOLUTLEY crazy all that stress is gone, Thankyou for all your help Terri really appreciated it!
The HSV 1 result at 0.8 is approaching an area that is concerning.  Have you ever had any sores on your lips or in your nose vs. inside your mouth?

Terri
No never or at least that I've noticed?? I had acne in the past, and around my lips, but I never had a cold sore I think!! Even if I did have HSV-1 do you think that could be the cause of my Genital problems??
And my last oral sex exposure was well over a year ago so wouldn't it be at least in the false positive range??
I don't think the penis issues have to do with herpes, but of course can't be certain.  About 70% of those with HSV 1 infection anywhere on their body don't have symptoms they recognize.

Terri