Herpes Community
Herpetic Gingivitis

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpetic Gingivitis

Several years ago, I had sudden onset of high fever, flu-like symptoms. No congestion, no coughing, no upper respiratory symptoms. The only other symptom I was having was that I had not had a bowel movement in 2-3 days (with no hx of previous constipation), which may have thrown my family doctor off  bit. He admitted me to the hospital with a fever of 102.5.  He was thinking diverticulitis. After tests, I was negatve for that, and after two days in the hospital, I was released still feverish, with a diagnosis of viral infection. Later the day I was admitted, I began to notice that the roof of my mouth was sore when I'd try to eat. The next morning, I noticed that my gums were getting very red and sore, and swollen. I showed the nurse and asked what it was, and was told that it was just some gingivitis since I'd not been able to brush my teeth. On the second day, my family doc came to the hospital to discharge me, and I asked him. By this time, it was noticeably red and swollen and it was painful to eat. He said the same thing the nurse did. He told me to go home and brush my teeth and it would get better. I went home and gradually the fever got better, but my mouth became so painful I could barely swallow. I looked into my mouth with a mirror and flashlight andsaw lesions (yellowish) all over the roof of my mouth, the gums around my teeth and even near the back of my throat (almost like strep). I researched online and found pictures that looked like me and called my family doctor to be seen that day. I could barely talk at this point. He apologized profusely and said that indeed I had Herpetic Gingivitis, and that it was too late to try the antiviral and I would just have to go through it and he gave me meds to manage the pain. I lost 18lbs in two weeks due to the pain of eathing and the resulting lack of desire to eat. My question is, do you think it was Herptic Gingivitis, and if so, is the main cause as an STD? I was celibate 5 years before marriage and had only been with my husband. We are now, divorced. But I always only thought this was from the same virus as chicken pox (zoster) and never even thought about it as an STD. If it is...how long can it lay dormant before outbreak/sero conversion?
there are many viral infections that cause mouth symptoms so it's hard just from a visual diagnosis to know if indeed it was herpes related or not.  herpangina is another infection that causes symptoms as well as coxsackie virus very commonly causes them too.

at this point, follow up with a type specific herpes igg blood test to see what your status is and go from there.  It wont' help you know what that was at the time, but you'll know your herpes status for when you venture back into dating again so you can make educated decisions with a partner about oral sex.

grace
I will make an appointment with my new family doctor for testing. Thank you for your help.
I will say this, though. I had no other body rashes or outbreaks anywhere else on my body as it suggests with herpangina or coxsachie.  I only had te symptoms in my mouth and some areas in my throat. That almost fet like strep (the ulcers in my throat).
in adults, just oral symptoms are very common with both of them.