Herpetic whitlow
OK, well I have had this scab for a long time, it comes and goes. It is herpetic Whitlow i think. My question is this, having herpetic whitlow means that you are basically contagious, not just that area with the scab right? I was checked and they said i did not have genital herpes and have never had a cold sore although I have read sometimes you dont get em even by being infected. So I can transfer herpes if I have unprotected sex if I do not have genital herpes right just herpetic whitlow? Or should I go check with a different Dr?
So you're diagnosing yourself with herpetic whitlow, and have had no confirmatory tests?

As to genital herpes, it is an STD - it is transmitted by genital to genital contact, or genital to oral contact.

If you have not been properly diagnosed, then yes, see a different doctor.
Whitlow is transmitted when it's active. When it's not causing obvious lesions, it's usually not infectious. The skin on the hands is too thick for the virus to easily penetrate to the surface of the skin without obvious lesions present.

Next time you have it, get it cultured to see if it's hsv1 or hsv2. Other option is, if you've never had a herpes blood test , get one done to see what your status is.  It's a good idea to confirm that it's definitely whitlow though so regardless of what your blood test results, you'd need the culture of active symptoms to confirm whitlow as the cause.

grace