Herpes Expert Forum
High Negative Result
About This Forum:

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

High Negative Result

I am a 35 year old male and I tested negative for HSV1 and HSV2 via Herpeselect just a few days shy of 12 weeks after receiving unprotected oral sex from a female friend.  My results were:

IGG HSV1: .60
IGG HSV2: .08

I tested this time and at 5, 6.5 and 9.5 weeks (all neg - combo of Captia and Herpesselect - do not have #s for others) due to a red spot that I found on the glans (glands) of my penis about 2 weeks after this exposure.  My Dr and several std clinic workers felt like it did not "look like" herpes and thought it was fungal.  It did tingle/itch for one day but never again after I started using a anti-fungal cream.  Never formed a blister, never crusted over and never hurt.  It took about 3.5 weeks to resolve, which felt like a long time vs dr original expectation.

I also have tested neg for Chlamydia, gonorrhea and syphilis as well.  I have throughout had ongoing minor clear discharge.  I also have had pelvic pain for last 2 months and my Urologist diagnosis was prostatitis and I am currently on antibiotics.

I am most concerned about HSV1.  I was happy that I was negative, but concerned when I read some comments about high negatives meaning it was just a matter of time before antibodies had built up.  I thought anything under .91 was ok.

Please help.  Should I test again?  Is a number that high a red flag?
55646_tn?1263664409
Did we talk on the phone?  I think maybe we did.  Or else someone else with your exact situation.  I would recommend a herpes western blot for you.  That is a high negative, and because the ELISA test is not as good as detecting HSV 1 antibody as it is as detecting HSV 2 antibody, you are starting with a not great test.  

I can order this for you or your doctor can get a kit from the University of Washington to do this test for you.

terri
5 Comments
Blank
Do you then think the reference range is too high on these tests?  Meaning folks should be considering lower numbers as issues?

How concerened should I be?    
Blank
55646_tn?1263664409
The reference range too high?  No.
It's hard to tell how concerned you should be at this point.  It could just be a high negative or it could be that the ELISA just isn't picking up an HSV 1 positive.  

If the HSV 1 turns out to be positive, you won't be able to know when this was acquired.  

If you were my patient, I would suggest the western blot.

Terri
Blank
Thank you for the response.

I left you a message at your office on Friday.  Would love to have a follow up conversation on this if possible.  
Blank
55646_tn?1263664409
I'm sorry, but you'll need to set an appointment time, we are really swamped with studies right now, would that work for you?  I asked the office to let you know.

Terri
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
55646_tn?1263664409
Terri Warren, RN, Adult Nurse Pr...Blank
Westover Heights Clinic
Portland, OR
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker