Herpes Expert Forum
High Negative Result

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

High Negative Result

I am a 35 year old male and I tested negative for HSV1 and HSV2 via Herpeselect just a few days shy of 12 weeks after receiving unprotected oral sex from a female friend.  My results were:

IGG HSV1: .60
IGG HSV2: .08

I tested this time and at 5, 6.5 and 9.5 weeks (all neg - combo of Captia and Herpesselect - do not have #s for others) due to a red spot that I found on the glans (glands) of my penis about 2 weeks after this exposure.  My Dr and several std clinic workers felt like it did not "look like" herpes and thought it was fungal.  It did tingle/itch for one day but never again after I started using a anti-fungal cream.  Never formed a blister, never crusted over and never hurt.  It took about 3.5 weeks to resolve, which felt like a long time vs dr original expectation.

I also have tested neg for Chlamydia, gonorrhea and syphilis as well.  I have throughout had ongoing minor clear discharge.  I also have had pelvic pain for last 2 months and my Urologist diagnosis was prostatitis and I am currently on antibiotics.

I am most concerned about HSV1.  I was happy that I was negative, but concerned when I read some comments about high negatives meaning it was just a matter of time before antibodies had built up.  I thought anything under .91 was ok.

Please help.  Should I test again?  Is a number that high a red flag?
Did we talk on the phone?  I think maybe we did.  Or else someone else with your exact situation.  I would recommend a herpes western blot for you.  That is a high negative, and because the ELISA test is not as good as detecting HSV 1 antibody as it is as detecting HSV 2 antibody, you are starting with a not great test.  

I can order this for you or your doctor can get a kit from the University of Washington to do this test for you.

terri
Do you then think the reference range is too high on these tests?  Meaning folks should be considering lower numbers as issues?

How concerened should I be?    
The reference range too high?  No.
It's hard to tell how concerned you should be at this point.  It could just be a high negative or it could be that the ELISA just isn't picking up an HSV 1 positive.  

If the HSV 1 turns out to be positive, you won't be able to know when this was acquired.  

If you were my patient, I would suggest the western blot.

Terri
Thank you for the response.

I left you a message at your office on Friday.  Would love to have a follow up conversation on this if possible.  
I'm sorry, but you'll need to set an appointment time, we are really swamped with studies right now, would that work for you?  I asked the office to let you know.

Terri