Herpes Expert Forum
How Likely Am I To Transmit Herpes Type II

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

I am a 62 year old male who became infected with Herpes Type II in 1988.  Since the initial outbreak in 1988, I have never had any outbreaks or symptoms.  If I am not displaying symptoms, how likely am I to still pass on this virus to a noninfected partner?  I have told my potential partner of my situation, but I am unsure of the probability of infecting her.  None of my prior sexual partners were infected over these years.  
How were you diagnosed with HSV 2?  Swab test, physical exam?  Do you have a copy of the lab work?  Typing was rare back then, people were told that any genital lesion is HSV 2 and some definitely were HSV 1, which fits better with your description of no recurrences.  Have you ever had any follow up testing, like antibody testing?  If not, you should.  Your history with HSV 2, if that is what is it, is rare.

Terri
I wasn't actually dianosed until 2-3 years later at Harborview in Seattle at the Herpes Clinic.  I had seen a television show which made me think of my ininitial outbreak.  They did blood work, (Western Block?) and told me that I had HSV 2.  I assume that it was the definitive test and did not figure it was worth getting retested.  I feel fortunate that I have had no further outbreaks and my only challenge is when I enter into a new relationship, I feel I must disclose, but would love to tell my prospective partner that the "chances" are low.  BTW, thank you for your book.
Well, you were diagnosed at the best place possible, so I would not doubt the western blot.  You are lucky to have no more outbreaks.  Just so you know, outbreaks of genital herpes can occur anywhere between waist and mid thigh, including buttocks, anus and abdomen.  Be certain you are evaluating all of these location for symptoms.  

My recommendation for the best strategies to reduce the chances of transmission are to take daily antiviral therapy and use a condom.  First, however, I would recommend that your partner be tested to determine that she does not, indeed, have herpes and doesn't know it.  That would require a type specific antibody test.

Terri
A related discussion, 62 yo man herpes 2 pos no condom 57yo woman negative was started.