Herpes Community
How can i stop getting cold sores so much?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I have HSV 1 oral and i seem too get one cold sore after the other what can i do too stop from happing so often?And is there any medication i can take too stop them from happing so often?
whats one after the other? That is very atypical for Herpes 1. Interesting. Keep a healthy diet, stay out of the sun and tanning booths, stop eating nuts (Which I hear doesn;t really matter but try it), and maybe use an electric shaver instead of a blade to prevent scrapping the area with a blade..
well i have had about 8 outbreaks already this year is that alot?
One a month, yeah, it is more than the average.. What are your outbreaks like?
Have you tried daily suppressive therapy with one of the herpes antivirals?

grace

( pssst slacker - the poster is female so chances are good she's not shaving her face...he he he )
Well i get like 2 to 3 cold sores in every outbreak and it last over a week and i was wondering if valtrex would help?To grace i am a male and i have tried the antivirals for outbreaks when they happens.
Yes, valtrex should help - or acyclovir or famvir.

That's what Grace was referring to - daily antiviral treatment.

Good luck - I'm sure its frustrating.

Aj
well i have tried acyclovir but they only give it too me when i have a outbreak my doctor has yet too give me anything that i would take everyday.so should i ask my doctor about something i should take everyday?
Male? errrm
yes i am a male why?
You are registered as a female frankinboots - might want to change that so folks don't get confused. That's what the pink icon means plus you have female listed on your profile.

Yes you can ask about taking a herpes antiviral every single day to help ward off cold sores.  Have you seen your provider to make sure that these are just cold sores too?

grace
I was told by my doctor that they were cold sores they drew blood and swab a sore and and both came back positive.So what would they put me on everyday?And i will change my info i did not know it said female.
You look good in pink though dear :)

You can use any of the 3 herpes antivirals suppressively - acyclovir, famvir or valtrex.

grace
thank u and i have one more question i have the clear and white bumps on my hands i know they are not herpes i just wondering if u had any idea what they are
You'd need to show those to your doctor and ask. even if you asked on the dermatology forum it would all be guessing.

grace

Thank u for all ur help:)
I got it twice this year for now. Usually on the corner of my mouth so no one can see it if they are very near me. I wear lipstick to cover it - awesome being a female.

I've been taking Valtrex and hoping I don't get it. But I do notice I having tiny red dot on top of lips but it all in my head.
So do u think valtrex is helping u?