Herpes Community
How close are we to finding a cure?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

How close are we to finding a cure?

A couple days ago, my STD test came back positive for Herpes 2. I am devastated, crushed. I can't help but feel like maybe I should just kill myself and get it over with... I'm 22, I can count my sexual partners on both hands, and now.... I'm ****** for life. I've never had an outbreak. EVER. Never an outbreak, and no symptoms. I've been in 3 serious relationships, all lasting over a year. I can't even imagine dating at this point. How in the world will anyone accept this? I doubt I can date anyone new; I mean, I know that if I started seeing a guy, and he confided that he had herpes, he would have to be THE ONE for me to continue seeing him... I know thats vain, but god, there is such a stigma associated with this disease. Like I'm a ****, or dirty or something. Fuckin christ. How can Magic Johnson beat  HIV, while one in four people have to wear a condom for the rest of their ******* lives?! I'm pretty, and smart, and I have a degree............... and now I'm ******. ****!!!!!!
No cure, sorry. Hell, I'd rather see them try and cure AIDS. Herpes is manageable, and it's no big deal to  millions of folks who have  it.

Would you prefer that Magic Johnson NOT beat HIV?  Jesus, HIV is devastating the continent of Africa. We need a cure for that sucker, and we need it soon.

You'll get over it. Plus you're young. Just be honest with your partners in the future, and most will be fine with it. If they're not, move on and find somebody who is. In the meantime, go work out or something. No point in getting worked up about it. What's done is done.
More people are accepting of the small risk of contracting a partner's herpes than most folks realize. Everyone seems to think it's a deal breaker until they have to deal with it in their own lives and then they realize just how much of a nuisance more than anything it is. 1 in 4 adults has genital herpes. It's THAT common.  

The first thing I recommend doing is getting a copy of your herpes blood test results and posting the numeric values here - ie hsv1 igg 6. 8 and hsv2 igg 1. 6 or whatever they are. Then we can guide you towards whether you need additional testing or not.  Also if you currently have a partner they too should get tested for herpes to see what their own status is.

The next thing to do is you and your partner should take the time to read the herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com.  It's a terrific resource to learn more about herpes, treatments and how to reduce the risk to a partner.  There is also a patient counseling video there to watch too which is beneficial.

So what does this mean for the rest of your life? Well I'm assuming you are a female with male partners. If so - if you go on daily suppressive therapy and use condoms and avoid sex during any genital symptoms - your partner's risk is 1% each year.  Pretty darn low don't you think?  Certainly not enough risk to consider killing yourself over or a reason to suspect that you'll be lonely and miserable for the rest of your life.  That's the same risk per year as getting pregnant while on the pill!!!

grace

Since one in 4 to 5 prospective partners ALREADY have HSV II, and you would have rejected them in the past, you now have a vast new supply of possible partners!  The problem is most folks who are already positive don't know it until they do a blood test.
Interesting perspective. Yep, it's a hell of a lot of folks out there with it. And it's just too common to get bent out of shape about.
LOL there you go - all those folks you wouldn't have dated before are out there waiting for you. I LIKE IT :)

grace
HAHA ya exactly, you know im 17 I just recently found out that mi best friend has it, u should have see my face  :O I was so shocked but the more I researched up on it the more common I realized it was, I think its the word that people are so turned off about.... H E R P E S, if they called it good peoples virus people would accept it alot more. I hope they find a cure for it though, maybe a lysine type flu vacination or something like that, hope so!

I to just found out that i have Herpes. I know 1 in 4 people have it but yet i still feel alone. Its funny i have always been faithful to my partners but apparently they havent been with me. I was devistated still am, i still feel alone. i wish there were places i could go to meet other that arent afraid to say they have an STD. I feel outcasted by my friends, though i havent told any of them, i feel like they will reject me or think its contagious even by sitting next to me. You know how some people are. Im a male and to be honest if they dont find a cure i want to find another partner that already has herpes so i wont have to worry about infecting them. Its one thing to live with it, its another to live with the guilty if you give it to someone you love.
I remember how devastated I was when I found out at 19.  I know how having it plays with your mind too.  Makes you feel ugly, dirty, unwanted and undeserving.  There really is a stigma.  Like it or not.  I've had to learn to grow a thick skin about it.  No one except my husband knows about my disease.  I can't count how many times friends have made comments or jokes about herpes or people with herpes.  They never consider I am one of these people.  There is no reason to.  I don't "look the part".  I'm decent looking, very hygenic, married, educated, and have had only had 4 partners in 20 years of having sex.  But regardless if I look the part or not... I have it.  Try to get some counseling.  I know a lot of people on the site have given you advice to simply get over it and get on with life.  And maybe that approach worked for them just fine.  Obviously, you aren't at that point yet.  A counselor is someone you can trust to talk about the emotional difficulties in dealing with this disease.  Honestly, I think the emotional garbage is the worst part of having herpes.  At least, it has been for me.  Hang in there!
I have some bad news for you.  You can keep re-transmitting herpes to someone who already has it (in new locations they weren't having outbreaks in before).  This disease is a b*tch in that way.  So just because you and another person already have it doesn't mean you can be careless with each other.  You still have to learn the signs of an outbreak and avoid sexual contact during those times.  Since you just recently were diagnosed, you have a lot to learn about the disease still.  Make sure to educate yourself as much as possible so you don't accidentally hurt someone you care for (or yourself).  And yes, the constant guilt and fear of giving it to someone who doesn't have it is very difficult.  I deal with that daily, but my husband loves me more than he fears the disease.  Anyway, all I can say is education, education, education.  Good luck with everything.  And one more thing... if you never want to tell your friends, you don't have to.  It is a very personal thing and you shouldn't feel like it's a part of yourself you have to share with everyone you know.  Unless you want to.
I don't think it's true that you can keep re-transmitting herpes to eachother.  If both of you have it, you aren't going to reinfect eachother.  
I'm 24 years old, attractive, educated, and I definitely don't fit the stereotype of somebody with herpes. I found out I had herpes one year ago.  At the time, it seemed like my world had come to an end.  I've only told one person about my "condition" since then, and he dumped me shortly after.  It really hurt.  I've decided it is best if I just avoid all sexual contact, because that way I don't have to stress about telling them, or fear being rejected because of it.  I've been in a relationship with a guy for 7 months now, and he has no idea.  We don't mess around, so there is no need for him to know.  Although it is unfortunate for anbody to get it, I can tell you that it has changed my perspective on a lot of things...sex, relationships, life....Don't lose hope, its not the end of the world.  Just think of all the "good catches" out there like yourself who also have herpes. You'd be a perfect match!
oh me - talk about ignorance is bliss . . .
When i was diagnosed as having genital herpes - there was too little known for me to even feel dirty or anything else.  I do think i lumped in with having cramps - but that was probably way before you were born.
happened to this website due to the raising costs of the OB prevention rx.

am surprised an pleased to find so much more is known and
- there ARE persons to talk to about it - here and other sites.

i am very sorry this has happened to you but in light of what one could have caught in todays world of unprotected sex . . .
im just looking at your positive test from a different angle.
feeling dirty is one thing.
fighting for your life is a totally different ballgame so to speak.

(I know talk is cheap but I did 'protected sex' for 30 years.  it can be done.)
You know, it has really been nice reading these posts, I'm diggin' the positive attitudes!
I was diagnosed with HSV2 about 6 months ago, and I've slowly come to accept it for what it is.  It may have something to do with the fact that I've only had 1 breakout (knock on wood) since my diagnosis, but my outlook is definitely positive.  Don't get me wrong, I know that I will never get condom-free oral for the rest of my life, and that ***** (no pun intended), but I've always thought it was overrated anyway (hah!).
I try to think of herpes as a filter: someone who dates me and knows I have it, is dating me because she really loves me for who I am and accepts me along with all of my flaws... no matter how "disgusting" they may be.  Granted, sometimes this concept is hard to grasp, and I get down on myself thinking it will never turn out that way... but aside from those rare moments of weakness, I know that the former is definitely true.  The woman I am going to marry is going to love me for who I am and all that I am.  And you know what?  That's going to make me love her even more.  So, my strategy has been to read a little more, advance my career, hit the gym more often, say some prayers from time to time, and treat people how I would like to be treated.  So that when I do come across a potential candidate, this stupid little herpes thing will be a small sacrafice relative to the well-rounded person I've made myself into.  Sounds like an episode of full house, but its true... make karma work for you by making your life and the lives of others a little better!
Cheers!
Wanna hear something really weird?  I love having herpes. It's made me a better person. It's taught me to accept people for who they are, and their personalities, then for their money or job or status.  I speak openly about it. My family and friends know I have it, they know when I have an outbreak, and how severe it is.  And you know what? They help me every step of the way.  They are so supportive of me, and everything I do. Yes, the outbreaks suck.  I hate the itchiness and soreness that comes with it. But figure it like this: by the time you're 46, you'll have lived with it half of your life, and you won't remember what it's like to NOT have it. I can do everything I did before I had it. And I'm not afraid to tell the guy I'm with about it. The first guy I told I had it made a joke about it.  He said: "There's this great invention out. I'm not sure if you've heard about them. But they're called condoms." AND! I NEVER have to worry about contracting it again!
Hey there. All these comments are great. And yes it is VERY common, and apparently 80% of people dont even know they have it! Just keep telling yourself, its just coldsores!... pretty much :)

I have kept it a huge secret too. My Fiance knows though. No need to tell others about it I dont feel because of the social stigma - which sucks!!
I have been so lucky, only 1 outbreak at the very start and nothing ever again.. except I do get a rash of it on my knee sometimes and near my elbow which is weird. But nothing again down there. And I have never passed it on.

I am just thankful that I am happy, healthy and didnt catch anything serious!
Research in progress at universities at the moment : Dr Bloom and Dr Cullen. Research these guys and donate for a cure research :)
I got hsv2 august of 2009 from no more than skin to skin fooling around,,and yea,,i feel dirty,suicidal.unwanted,and guilty.
I been on supprssive therapy since January and its worked great, No outbreaks at all,and when Iwas not on the drug, my outbreak was very mild,like a small pimple and red,but the look and thought of it disgusted me.
I do think about it,but I guess thatis what I deserved for beibg careless and messing with people I just met. I was playing russian roulette and I got caught.
NO more hookups,or messing with strangers,however,when I think of the person who gave me this,I have thoughts of what I would do if I meet him again,and I would not write those thoughts here,so you can imagaine what they might be.
Hopefully one day we can see a cure,,a vaccine to at least supress this,or stronger drugs.
Take care all
I have been dating the same woman for 2 years now and she never even knew she had it when she found out and broke into tears and said "im sorry" over and over again i just hugged her and said i don't care i have you and it never really changed anything in my life. its pounded into your head that its the worst thing to happen or whatever but here is a fact that i hope will put everything you heard into perspective.

cold sores are caused by a type of the herpes virus, but, it is rarely the same virus strand that causes genital herpes.

Cold sores are typically caused by Herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV1). Genital herpes on the other hand is usually caused by a different strand of the virus called Herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV2).

How common are cold sores?

Cold sores are very common. It is estimated that 80% percent of the American population have been exposed to the Herpes simplex virus (which is the virus that causes cold sores).

An interesting fact is that although a person has been infected with the herpes and cold sore virus, they may not necessarily experience an outbreak. This is because some people's immune systems have the ability to completely suppress the virus.The usual incubation period of the virus (time before any symptoms show) is approximately two to twelve days after the first exposure to the virus. As most people contract cold sores before the age of seven, it is common for a person not to remember their first or 'primary' cold sore outbreak.
i am 22 and made a stupid stupid descion and had unprotected sex. a few days later i started to get fevers and head aches and  a questional sore. i just went to the doctor today to get it checked out and now i have to wait about a week to find out if its herpes. i am so scared
, ive been crying for days and i feel if i do have this virus that i wont find anyone who will care for me the way they would if i didnt have herpes. ive only told one person and he went with me to the doctor for support. one of the things im stressed about is having to call up the guy if i am infected and tell him . i didnt know where else to go to talk about this im not comfortible talking about it with my friends. in a few days ill know and if its positive ill just have to make a few life changes and  have a new outlook on life. whats done is done
I have just read all the posts. I must say... EVERYONE has had some AWESOME things to say! Yay for all of you! =)

One of the first things I read that I totally can relate with is, the WORD Herpes. I cringe at the simple thought of the word. And for me, and others I know, it is the name of the disease that makes it so hard to accept. It just sounds like such a dirty word. Second of all, EVERY thought you (you being the original poster) said is totally understandable. Trust me, I had every thought possible when I found out I was having an ob. And this was just 2 weeks ago. Another thing I read that was VERY good advice, is EDUCATION! After MANY days and hours of research for the first few days after finding out I had it, the education I got helped tremendously! Like I said, it has only been 2 weeks and already I have come to accept it. This disease is SO SO SO SO common! HSV1 being the most common and HSV1 is what 80% of HSV ends coming back as. I did some updated reading on HSV the other day....and it has been proven that HSV1 has taken over. Especially HSV1 genitally.

A friend of mine gave me some good/funny advice one day...she told me "atleast you can fish out all the a**holes out there!"...haha! Which is very true. Now is the time that you will find out who is there for YOU - NO MATTER WHAT YOU HAVE! I just KNEW my life was over when I found out. But, I am still ME! Hang in there! =)
herpes is so as serious as aids and it needs a cure u must not have it cause u feel like u wanna die
Reading these posts made me feel a lot better. I had unprotected sex on a one night stand two weeks ago (first time I've ever done that), and I've been so stressed over it. I thought to myself I know I messed up (stupid alcohol), but I hope if I get something it's just chlamydia or gonnorhea (Gonorrhea).....as long as it's NOT herpes. I just can't handle the idea of having something the rest of my life...and I'm only 21.

After a week, I started to calm down since no symptoms showed up...but today exactly 2 weeks after the incident there is a red tender sore on my penis that stings to touch. I cannot get my mind off of it, can't stop inspecting it, and I hope to god it's nothing...but who am I kidding, this is a new type of pain I've never had before. Anyway I'm going to the doctor first thing tomorrow to get tested. But I just wanted to say I'm glad I read all this advice, because I've been freaking out and now maybe I can handle this diagnosis better. It makes me feel better that it's so common, but I can't believe I did this to myself. I hope all ends up okay. And I hope they find a cure.
hey you know what, I was one of those people who used to make jokes about anything, and now guess what? I was diagnosed with type 1 and I might have type 2 either since I was exposed with person who had it, it is just matter of waiting 2 more months, since I have not showed any symptoms. My point is, since this happened like a month ago, I have seen life from a different prospective, now I am trying to go to church and change my way of being, I know nothing is going to be the same anymore but, hey it was the purpose of God bringing me back to the good way and treating people the same way I would like people to treat me right now. Eventho I have not shown any symptom know I might probably show it later who know but I thank God for his mercy  and letting me see the sun shine everyday. It is just time to change and change the other way of being. Finally all of the people who wrote in this comment section just let me know that I am not alone and I hope there is a cure some day at least for the people who were infected form a cheating parter or by accident. Thanks
Oh Boy all these comments are exactly how I've felt for some time. The only person with it, how will anybody except this, dirty, unwated ect....Plus all the emotional tormant..... I haven't been diagnosed yet, but I know. There is noting else that this could be. I'm in my early thirties and I've had the odd breakouts since before I was twenty. Never knew what it was. And the thought of hepres was too devestating to consider. I was with my last boyfriend for 3 years and he never complained of having a problem and we never used a condom. Maybe he's carrying it and no one knows.

But I could no longer ignore it when I found out I was pregnant. What if this affected my baby. I told my gyno there was a chance I had it. She sayed there would not be a problem unless I had an out break during delivery. Well I didn't have anything during my pregnancy, delivery or for quite a while after my baby was born. He is fine by the way. Anyways I got a swab once it showed nothing and I have an outbreak right now. I get pretty down about it. No body knows about this but my mom.

I want to get a blood test to know for sure so I can get some meds for this. Plus I can prepare myself for if I meet anyone down the road. He'll need to love me a lot. I'm putting my positive thoughts and hopes that they do find a cure. I've been doing some research and it's encouraging to know that they are working on one.  
Hi there, So I am still confused on my situation, but from knowing these past years that I could possibly have the virus, I have had no signs or symptoms I dont need medicine and I have no complaints, I have had 3 sex partners all whom Ive told about my "possible infection" All were ok and understanding about it. All were tested and tested negative. I just made sure that in that "getting to know each other stage" I make sure I add that in whenever the Topic of 'Sex' comes up. Ive learned that untill you start to feel comfortable and accept your situation it will always be hard to move on with your life. Its not the end of the world I look at it like 'IT COULD BE WORSE' it has been an eye opener and life lesson for me. I hope all work out for you and pray that you come to some kind of understanding with all of this. Be blessed and good luck!!
This is a fantastic thread..

loads of sharing and support, and positivity. It's what we all need. I was diagnosed about 5 months ago, and I've been a wreck, researching the disease as much as I can... there's a lot of information out there, but a lot of it is conflicting. It's been rough trying to wrap my head around it. I think it's best that we share these experiences and learn through each other.

So, Cheers to all of you!
I am only 15 years old, and i made a huge mistake by hooking up with a guy thats been around the block a few times. Alot of people probably think whats a 15 year old doing "hooking up" I wasnt having sex, it can be passed through skin to skin contact. im not the only person my age doing these things, and its getting more and more common the younger the age. Im not a **** or anything that alot of you guys are thinking. I had terrible luck and it could of happened to anyone. I too need help dealing with it and i am starting counciling soon. Dont stress it too much, im 15 havent even lived my life at all, if i can do it you can too. Be strong and dont let it get too you too bad. We had bad luck which sucks but we cant change  it, only live with it. Things could be much much worse, better than HIV, at first when i had it the craziest things ran through my head. I thought, well if i had HIV then at least i wouldnt have to live with it forever and eventually die and not look crazy for killing myself. But if i was in that position i would of been saying the oppisite. We can get through it talking to people will help.Alot i know they dont understand your position but its good to vent instead of keeping it bottled up 24/7. I've tried a million things to get over it and no one does understand but you control your emotions, dont let it get to you. And hope for a cure, theres plenty of people living happy with herpes simplex 2. You can too, it will just take some time.
im only 23 just wandering how long would take to find the cure thats the most important thing atm for everyone i believe....how long for the cure?????????
   I am probably going to inadvertently **** off a whole lot of people with this post. It is NOT my intent to though, I swear.  Who am "I" you might ask? I am the guy that most women would probably hate. I am the guy that some girls father would "ring my neck" if he ever found me. I am CERTAIN though that there are women "out there" that have *about* the same view about sex that I do... Otherwise, in all honesty, I wouldn't have caught herpes in the first place.

I look at sex about the same way a child might look at a game of dodge-ball.  This may sound stupid or immature, but I think I'm about to make *some* sense to anyone reading this.  Kids love to "play" dodge-ball, it's fun. But, you run this risk of getting "hit" with the ball, once your "hit" your out.  But if you choose not to play, just because your afraid of a ball, then you have to sit on a bench, while everyone else has all the "fun".  However, for the kids that get "hit" they quickly realize that it's not the end of the world, they can still play. The "game" goes round and round, and a child realizes over time that getting "hit" isn't really that big of a deal.   Now, plug in the word herpes where you see the word "hit"  and you might not agree with my view, but at least you can see things the way that I view them.

I will do my VERY best attempt to not be crude here, rather I'm just going to be honest.  I am of a very small percentage of men, that realized a LONG time ago, even before I hit puberty (serious) that I never wanted children. And I've never had a second thought about having a vasectomy at as early an age as I did. I was 23 when I had it done, if my doctor would have listened to me though, then he would have "allowed" me to have gotten it the day I hit 18. He tried very hard to convince me otherwise. Sorry, getting off topic.  Again... I'm going to try VERY hard not to be crude here, I swear. With the fear of getting a woman pregnant out of the way, I (like most adults) realized that I really, REALLY like having sex. And believe it or not, so do a lot of women.  Of course I run the risk of catching something REALLY nasty, much worse than herpes to say the least. I don't just "hop in the sack" with anyone, I use my best judgment of who I sleep with, and honestly I've made it to nearly 40 without catching anything "horrible" so I guess you could say that my judgment who I chose to have sex with has been pretty safe.

When I saw the sore in my mouth, I pretty much knew right away what it was. Pfffft, I'm not going to a doctor over it, researching pictures and forums like this one on the internet pretty much told me what it was. It's not going to stop me from having sex. I didn't loose any sleep over it. I was not even angry that I got it. I guess I *am*  fortunate enough that it only makes it's appearance INSIDE my mouth (along the inner wall of my cheek) and not on the outside. I love receiving oral sex entirely to much to use a condom. I have used them before, and I'm sorry... sex just feels so much better without protection. But, that is the risk that I take. And if a woman chooses to do the same, then she is taking the same risk that I am. Does herpes shorten your life? Nope. Does it prevent you from holding down a job? Nope. Is it "present" 24/7 ? Nope.

I currently only have it inside my mouth. I will say I'm sure that there are a lot of people that will call me a scum bag for not disclosing the fact that I have it, I am sorry I've upset you. It's just not that big a deal in my opinion. And I'm NOT going to give up unprotected sex... honestly it's to fun. It feels great, and amazing. If I happen to have an outbreak during sex, I'm still going to have sex, sorry. The only thing I'll do differently, is I will at least not give a woman oral when I have an outbreak. I know it's not a guarantee that I "won't" give her herpes when not having an outbreak, but from the research I've done on the internet, it does lower the chances.  And before you say it... my answer will be "no" I won't be devastated if I find out I get infected with genital herpes.  It's NOT my intent to purposely get someone infected, but I'm not going to "sit on the bench" while lots of others go and have "fun" .

For me, my herpes sore never causes me pain. I can feel it when it's present. It kind of reminds me if you've ever bitten the inside of your cheek by accident, and a day or two later you can run your tongue over that spot and feel the sore. It doesn't really hurt, but you can tell it's there.  Like I said... I know there will most likely be a LOT of people hating my guts for making this post. I hope you'll look at these last two points.    1: By me making this post, some parent figure can point to this and say "SEE! SEE, guys don't care about stuff like giving girls herpes" and hopefully the parent has instilled that in their child.  2: I know I'm not a "monster"  I would never give a girl oral when I have an outbreak. It really isn't my intention to purposely give it to someone. But I'm also not giving up sex.

The only question I'll leave everyone with... I heard that swishing saltwater in your mouth is supposed to help quicken the healing process. Has anyone else ever heard this?
usually lesions inside the mouth are canker sores and not herpes. have you had any testing done or is this all just self diagnosis?

grace
...oh my.   All self diagnosis for me.  But I did a search on the word "canker sores" and I found this:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphthous_ulcer   and by golly, that is exactly what "it" looks like.

Well... according to the article I read, found in that link, they aren't contagious, and the cause is said to be *unknown*  .

Goodness.  I thank you for the education.  I know the only real way of ever knowing would be to go to a doctor and or get a blood test. But I'm not a very rich fellow.   However, thank you for pointing this out.
Yeah its alot to take in..last week I had an issue (feb/22/12) I went to the e.r to see wht its was .. I notice b4 tht I have a yeast infection like problem but I knew off rip this was abnormal... I wasnt n any pain unleast I touch tht pot. But I ddnt hurt really at all! So I went in the hospital around 1 a.m goin into the nextz day n ummm I had the tinyies white clearl lookin blister on my clic” (pearl toung) were the guy do oral sex at how every later tht day I got a phn cal I did have herpe.simplex1.. Frm my bf who gets cold sores.. Smh .. Im 22 weeks pregnant and im more hurt by the situation den any thg because I not in any pain.. Its jus I cnt believe this happen to me? My main concern is my child.. .. N ” YES DER.IS A CURE FOR HERPES DER.IS A CURE.FOR EVERTHG.. Natural herbs n stuff ... N prayings.. :-)  I knew my situation could b very painful but its not in thts only cause I stay prayerful.. N open mindin ... The cure to this is da every day thgs ..eating right stayin heathy.. exercise ect ect..
how can you say that! you obviously dont no wtf its like to have herpes so ur opinion dont mean ****, each individual person in this world deals with there own problems, therefore you hav no rite to tell ppl tht hav the infection wat they can and cant feel, we feel our own pain NOT anybody elses so yes it is a big deal to us, because thats OUR life and wat WE hav to deal with everyday we wake up, so take ur opinions else where. yes it wuld be f***kn awesome if they found a cure for aids, bt also wuld it b great if the were a cure to cancer, hiv, herpes, hepititus, ms, tumors, strokes, deafness, blindless, bein paralized, diabeties,acne, heart diease,people in poverty... i could go on bt these are wat each individual has to deal with and each person want a cure too so how dare u say tht ppl like us dnt mata! i hope tht one day they find a cure for all, yes i am alot luckier than alot of otha ppl in ths world dealing with the above^^ bt STILL doesnt make us feel any better.
as long as greedy drug companies can keep making millions off of us,they will never find a cure,,and i work for one the big greedy drug companies.so i know how they are
well ive been under extreme anxiety and panic attacks , especially in the morning when i wake up. I think i might have herpes but not on my genitals i think i have them behind my right knee. I was once inspecting my groin on both sides to see if i had anything similar to what i have behind my knee, And a little after inspecting my groin on both sides i got this little paper cuts which i didnt have nor it itched just prior to stretching the skin there to see if i had any bumps. I ignored the little cuts but after reading of the many ways in how herpes can show up i got even more paranoid. Im afraid to go get tested but im trying to come into terms with it in other words accept it which is hard , In other words im trying to mentally prepare myself before i go to the doctor. Im able to calm down and lower my anxiety and panik attacks during the day and by night im calmer thinking what can i do about it if i have it i have it. Thats the reason why i surf thru these forums to get a piece of mind at night so i can be able to sleep but when i wake up in the morning im hit by the reality of this disease and i just go into panik mode and axiety sets in. Just to ease my mind in the morning from anxiety ive been going to work 1 hour earlier and regardless of how expensive gas is i drive around  and count people behind and in front of me at a redlight and figure huum they probabbly have it too and they seem normal. But this is the most horrible feeling im going through. Right now i feel calm if i have it , it happened for a reason because i believe in god and everything happens for a reason. Although i havent been diagnosed yet im sure it could be herpes . im trying to get mentally ready for the positive results which has brought havoc in my life i just dont seem to enjoy anything anymore and if i test positive i just dont know how i will look at life again. I dont have anything on my genitals but those bumps i had behind my left knee and those paper cuts i noticed on both sides of my groin , i dont know if i self inflicted these cuts by stretching the skin there or if its an actual outbreak of herpes . im praying to god to make it be another infection but not herpes , im just scared of waking up tomorrow and go through the whole not being sure if i have it or not burden and the slap of reality that comes along with anxiety and panic attaks, but its helphful to read all the possitive comments and if i test positive i hope i can just get over it soon and be happy as many of you seem to be sorty for the long post but i just needed to get it out since i dont want to tell anyone i know because my family and friends seem to be too judgemental, I remember one of my cousins making a comment about how a cousin of ours was diagnosed wth hpv and even i was in  shock like if i was my cousin i felt the pain for her and now me.  i have someone to talk to about my problem but it just wont help since ill be hurting that family member ill be saying it to so i just read all this post all night long until i get sleepy. And to make things worse a girl i  was interested in which was playing hard to get now seems to be wanting to have a relation with me but i dont know im just no longer interested , i dont plan on seeing her or dating her until i go get a test done and if im positive im just goin to let this girl slip away like water through my fingers , i just dont know what to think i try to not think about it just to put my nind at rest . thank you so much for your patience and for reading i hope theres a cure for this virus i hope all 45 million affected by this could all pitch in 10 bucks for a cure to this .
Like most of you I too have this awful disease. When i first noticed the symptoms I prayed that it was anything but herpes, but of course i already knew what it was. I went to the doctor and just with 1 look the doctor already knew what it was. I was humiliated, mortified even. She was nice about it though, and sympathized with me. I was only 21. It wasn't like I was a hoe, or I went around ******* everything in site. In my years of being sexual, it wasn't until i got a boyfriend that i ever came in contact w/ any disease. Imagine that. Anyway I've been battling extreme depression and suicide thoughts and its only been 2 1/2 months. So far I've had 5 outbreaks.At times i feel like im going to be alone forever. maybe it's best that way. I would hate to have to deal with the guilt of passing it on to someone else. After reading everyone's comments though, I found a sort of comfort knowing that i'm not the only one who felt this way so thank you.
How in Gods name can you say that? It's attitudes like yours is why Scientist & Doctors, talk shows ( & they have plenty of Doctor talk shows out there ) aren't mentioning it on their shows nor are doctors doing more in terms of looking for a cure to this horrifying virus that actually should have long since had a cure for because they, like you feel it is "managable". Because of that BS attitude like yours millions of people are getting infected daily. Feeling that it is "managable" is an awful way to play with ones life!!! It is not managable at all, All the valtrex, lysene etc. in the world isn't working for for some of those millions out there that have both genital & lip Herpes. You try telling some of the people that get it monthly or children as young as 1 years old that when they get frequent outbreaks that it is "managable". You tell a partner that you have it but assure them, oh it's ok because it's "managable". See how fast he or she runs for the hills!!! I seriously believe the poster felt that IF they can form meds to make HIV undetected in Magic Johnson then it should be quite easy to do the same with Herpes so that outbacks are no more even if the person carries the virus. I'm not saying that HIV is less important then HSV but both are just as important to me. At least those with HIV aren't wearing it on their face like HSV1 people do at any giving time for judgemental JERKS out there to judge without even knowing the person. I think that your statement was very hurtful to those that suffer with this their whole lives, I promise you there are others out there that feel the complete opposite & don't see HSV as being "Managable" I I am one of them.
AMEN!!! Well said LANI!!!!!!!!!
I'm glad to hear that you are adjusting with your HSV diagnosis. I honestly hope that others will also in time come to terms & feel as happy as you do. With that said I still feel that a cure would help the millions out there that have it. How do I send my donations to these Doctors? Do you have an address so I can send off my donation? Thanks you.
That is really an insensitive comment & atittude to have. People deal with issues differently then others. You should encourage NOT down play the seriousness of the virus. How dare you tell them not to get bent out of shape about it. You said "it's just to common", WELL THAT IS THE PROBLEM!!! If there were more education & knowledge about it then wouldn't be high numbers of people infected with this virus. People with it have every right to be upset, who wants the guilt of having this their whole life & possibly passing it on to someone else? Not to mention the ignorant judgements of others. This is a serious problem that is spreading rapidly & I feel if they can make drugs to treat, surpress it ( which with some doesn't even work ) then they ( the scientist, doctors ) should be able to cure it, create a vacination for it & or produce real drugs that will surpress it even if it cannot be irraticated from the body. Attitudes like your is dangerous & is why there is no cure. It is serious & to brush off someones feelings as if they are over reacting is wrong. People are coming here for help with their feelings. It's no way you should be telling them that it is ok because almost half the population has it. Herpes may not be life threating but it can be passed on to the next person easily without even knowing. It's a way you can tell others to live with it instead of down playing what they are feeling. Just like HSV these peoples feelings are just as real!!!

you said it's just to common THAT IS THE PROBLEM!!!
No one says you can't have fun but your actions can cause someone to become infected. Take proper precautions during an outbreak. Other may not be as easy going having the infection as you seem to be. Also you can have have herpes inside your mouth. People PLEASE do your research. It's not just canker sores that can be found in your mouth.
I'm shocked at how you can come on this forum and basically insult all of us and people are actually still trying to comfort you. What an ignorant little ***** you are (sorry but someone has to say it because we're all thinking it) to come here, where we are meant to come share experiences and have questions answered, and basically tell us we're all dirty and skanky. The fact is that every 4th person you see walking down the street has genital herpes, they aren't dirty they just have a virus. That is a fact, it's time to face it.

If all you're gonna do is come here and complain and insult we would all rather not hear from you again. All you're doing is dragging everyone else down with your bad attitude.
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=5676977.PN.&OS=PN/5676977&RS=PN/5676977

Method of curing AIDS with tetrasilver tetroxide molecular crystal devices

Abstract
The diamagnetic semiconducting molecular crystal tetrasilver tetroxide (Ag.sub.4 O.sub.4) is utilized for destroying the AIDS virus, destroying AIDS synergistic pathogens and immunity suppressing moieties (ISM) in humans. A single intravenous injection of the devices is all that is required for efficacy at levels of about 40 PPM of human blood. The device molecular crystal contains two mono and two trivalent silver ions capable of "firing" electrons capable of electrocuting the AIDS virus, pathogens and ISM. When administered into the bloodstream, the device electrons will be triggered by pathogens, a proliferating virus and ISM, and when fired will simultaneously trigger a redox chelation mechanism resulting in divalent silver moieties which chelate and bind active sites of the entities destroying them. The devices are completely non-toxic. However, they put stress on the liver causing hepatomegaly, but there is no loss of liver function.

Inventors: Antelman; Marvin S. (Rehovot, IL)
Assignee: Antelman Technologies Ltd. (Providence, RI)
Appl. No.: 08/658,955
Filed: May 31, 1996

"Is The AIDS Virus A Science Fiction?" by Peter H. Duesberg and Bryan J. Ellison, Policy Review, Summer 1990, pp. 40-51..

Hi Grace,

I was wondering if you could explain more on a person finding out their "numeric values" when they have genital herpes? More yet, is this something that a person who does get regular outbreaks w/o medication should do? Thanks for your time:)
Thanks for sharing but I can tell you from first hand experience that cold sores can cause genital herpes. HSV1 is transmittable and it doesn't have to be during an outbreak I got infected without visible signs from someone who had cold sores in the past and didn't tell me. So now I have oral and genital (HSV1). I have had 3 outbreaks and it's only been a month though the symptoms are not as severe as the ones I've read about. So, it really sucks and people with cold sores should be careful and always tell their partners.

After doing research, I found out that 30% of new infection is caused by HSV1 via oral sex.
Hey Grace, my primary outbreak was inside the mouth and it's not uncommon for the first time. It was obviously HSV1 with blisters. After that, it has been outside the mouth with tingling but I've only had it for a month.

I also got it from a guy who had cold sores who didn't tell me, so I'm not pleased with this person's post. He didn't have an outbreak or so he says and gave me oral and genital herpes. He also doesn't think it's a big deal but it feels like it has ruined my life. Not cool
CallMeBob: I tried salt water and mouth wash. Don't think it really did much for me but can prevent reinfection. Try Lysine and a lot of vitamins including C and E, reishi mushroom pills, olive leaf extract, and plenty of sleep.

As for your post, I will be honest and say it doens't make me very happy to know that you are taking a risk with these women. I understand that everyone takes risks when they have sex, but I also believe there is a mutal trust that exists when you are with someone. I would hope you would want her to tell you if she had HIV in case the condom breaks.

As I have mentioned in my previous posts, I found out I was infected a month ago by a guy who has had cold sores. He didn''t tell me and then when I confronted him, he told me that he has had cold sores but didn't have an outbreak. I now have oral and genital herpes even though we used a condom. So, even though you won't go down on a girl when you don't have an outbreat, you can still give it to her. I personally think everyone with herpes and myself included should tell their partners before sexual activity/contact. She/he has a right to know and make a decision based on the risk.

If you really don't think it's a big deal then why not tell the other person? Who said you have to give up on sex? Just be responsible. If I had known about my partner having HSV1, I may have taken more precautions (eg. asking him to take antiviral drugs, using soap right after, not letting him give me oral sex since if I had read about viral shedding or obstaining from contact since I knew he hadn't been getting a lot of rest so his immune system was weak). So all in all, if you really don't think it's a big deal, great...but let someone else make that decision because it has devasted my life. It is a big deal to me and my health.

Did you know women have more to deal with because of our hormones? 3 outbreaks in 1 month in 2 loctions so that makes 6 in total because I caught a cold and had my period. Also, my triggers include alcohol so no more wine, not even a bit. Some people do want babies and yes it has made me fearful..lots of psychological stress.

So PLEASE PLEASE, think twice about this. You decision can cause a lot of suffering and by telling your partners it doesn't mean you can't have sex.
I took a look at that picture and my primary infection looked similar to canker sores. This is called herpetic gingivostomatitis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gingivostomatitis.

Also blood test may not be accurate during the first outbreak since your antibodies won't show up. A swab during infection at an STI clinic plus a blood test would be best. Usuall and infectious disesase clinic will not charge you so please get tested!
i've read some of you posts and they are very helpful. however, as i wrote to bob, sores inside the mouth for herpes is not uncommon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gingivostomatitis. This is what I had. Please spread the word!
you have made multiple responses to an old post. if you have questions about your own situation,please start your own post as we ask in our read before posting post on the forum - thanks!
Did you give it to your husband? How do you move forward. I just found out I had it and gave it to my wife of 30 years. She is so upset and disappointed in me. Did we tell my daughters of 16 and 18. they hear things hear and there. Please give advise
NO BIG DEAL!? R u crazy?!
Rio yes i too was recently diagnose positive hsv 1.... But antoinnete 1 is right the more yo educate your self the better .. Just because yiu learn hiw common it is ...jyst make sure you read on it . Learn how to recognise tge signs the tingling the itching tbe burning before getting an out brake people usually run to the store fir the meds thats help get rid of the outbrake in 3_4 days insted of 2 weeks. How ti live a sanitized life style to not infect anyone ...theres a good percentage of people who never see an outbrake ... Eat right exercise sleep 8 hours things like this help prevebt an outbrake ...wish you the best i wish everyone the best of peace of mind and health .. Keep god in your life and a little prayer aint never hurt nobody...
Hi.  I caught herpes from a shemale last year.  She was beautiful and asked me home to **** her husband and her.  I went and later found out the other guy wasn't even her husband but another guy she had picked up.  I watched THEM do it for awhile and got turned on, so I let the freak slide that diseased rod deep into my bowels.  Yep, you guessed it, I caught herpes.  And the worst part about it is that the highest concentration of my outbreak happens in my butthole, so any partner (of which I now have very few) knows that I got cornholed at some point because it's so obvious.  My *** looks like somebody stuffed a small pizza into it....while the rest of my genitals looks like the face of a teenager with a bad case of zits. THIS all totally sucks!  It's painful to **** and shameful to be ***-examined. My shorts are always filled with pus stains and the only thing that seems to take away the pain is cornstarch, which I am continually pouring into my pants.  Help!
Ok Tainted, since I either missed something, or nobody actually answered your question about a cure, let me give a direct answer:

From what I've read, we are closer to a cure for HSV1: there are several possible cures, the most promising being a kind of gene therapy developed at the University of Florida.  It's proven very effective in animal models, but studies regarding human subjects have yet to be published.

As for HSV2, a cure is POSSIBLE, and it may already exist.  Known as ACAM-529, a vaccine was developed by Harvard Medical and then the patent was bought by Pasteur.  Early studies in animal and human models proved it effective against HSV1 & HSV2, including already infected hosts.  In essence, it would program your immune system to eradicate HSV cells even when latent, thus eradicating the disease and preventing further infection.  I've been trying to find more information on ACAM-529 which was due for initial human trials last year, but for whatever reason, those studies were never conducted, or their results never published.  In my opinion, it looks like our best hope for destroying HSV once and for all.

There's also investigation using genetically altered HSV samples as a cure for cancer, which is also looking quite promising.  

So, if anyone else out there knows anything about ACAM-529, please let us know.  Whether infected or not, I think we would all agree that getting vaccinated would be a -good- thing.
Empathize with this 100%
There will likely be a vaccine for HSV-1 or HSV-2 before there is a cure. HSV-1 is carried by 50-90% of adults depending on age, and HSV-2 is carried by 1 in 5 depending on age (as you get in your late 30s-40s that 1 in 5 pertaining to HSV-2 becomes applicable).

Most of the people who have herpes despite what type, do not take antiviral medications on a regular basis. Only 10% of people will make it out of life without acquiring HSV-1, and about 20% of people will get HSV-2; that's a ton of people!

I've seen people in this thread compare HSV to HIV. Well, both of them really aren't a big deal especially HSV. If caught early enough, HIV is effectively treatable and extremely manageable, and the cases that progress to AIDS are mostly from people who were not diagnosed with HIV quickly. Magic Johnson has HIV, and he will most likely live a long life. The antivirals that he is on has his HIV close or at an undetectable level. People don't die from AIDS, and by this I mean that AIDS doesn't kill them by itself. AIDS destroys the immune system and usually people will get pneumonia or some other severe illness, and since AIDS is an immunodeficiancy disease, those who are infected do not have the immune system to combat severe illnesses.

With that said, there is a cure for HIV, and there have been two cases of a cure. The cure is highly, highly risky and will not see FDA approval ever, but its results are probable at best; nothing definitive. The cure is a bone marrow transplant, and while many will die during the procedure, it is probably effective in eliminating HIV.

HSV-2 and especially HSV-1 is not comparable to HIV. As stated above, 90% of people will get HSV-1 in their lifetimes and about 1 in 5 will get HSV-2. If there were severe health implications that resulted from HSV-2 then likely we'd see a cure or vaccine for it as we did with HPV. An HSV-2 vaccine would likely be effective in eliminating the risk for HSV-1 infections as well since the actual infections do the same. The vaccine would likely place antibodies in someones blood to fight HSV-2, which would in turn, fight HSV-1 equally. However, an HSV-1 vaccine isn't going to protect against HSV-2.
Hi Everyone -
This is a pretty old thread, the OP is likely long gone, and it's become quite muddled over time with some off-topic questions.  We'll go ahead and close this thread, and anyone with a question is invited to start a new thread by returning to the Herpes Community:
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Herpes/show/195
and clicking the "post a message" button at the top of the page.  Thank you!

****************** THIS THREAD IS CLOSED *********************
NO MORE POSTS, PLEASE.
I am a 22 year old male just got out of a six year relationship and the first girl i slept with after her and now I'm in the same position as everyone else. Initially I was pretty down on myself but you come to the realization that life is more than just sex and what people think about you. Yeah it does suck but hang In there, on that note besides suppressives and the outbreak control options is there any additional remedys anyone has found to work? In the meantime to the lady that created the thread find ways to occupy your mind and time that don't Include you dwelling on what is done, personally I have the luxury of working virtually unlimited hours and sports I enjoy. Cheers
Dont be hard On yourself i to tested the same and felt what u felt and im 8years younger i past that stage of ending it all just keep your head up dont let this defeate you just go On with life cuz life isnt yet over just next time you have sex use protection because you dont want anyone else to suffer and end there life.hope for the best
im a female and i just turned 18, i found out about 2 months ago. ive been in a relationship for almost 3 years now and me and my parter have been unfaithful in the past but decided we loved eachother and should put the past behind us. i was the first to get an outbreak and him shortly after but when i told him he spit in my face told me hes never been with someone dirty besides me and left me. he came back and i feel the need to stay because i dont have to worry about anything like that type of rejection to ever happen again but honestly he's a verry violent rude person ever since he found out like hes taking his anger of the situation out on me, but this gave me hope I've been feeling so depressed and alone.
that's a horrible thing to say to someone
Hi Sutherland,
I read that there are more than 80 strains of this virus, so you can contract another strain, so protect yourself and don't make the same mistake twice.  Plus there are all the other STD's that can still be transmitted.
I know, this really sucks, but that's the way of the world now.  We all have to choose partners very, very carefully, if at all.
Hi Sutherland,
Hi AdverageJoe,
I'm happy for you and your girlfriend and she is so fortunate to have a nice understanding person like you.  My big question is, how did she know that she should be sorry for exposing you to the virus after you two were together for 2 years already?  She may very well have assumed that you actually had the virus already and she became exposed to it by you.  How would she know that she had it prior to meeting you if she had no symptoms until 2 years into your relationship?