Herpes Community
How come I get genital herpes breakout approximately 2-3 times a month....

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

How come I get genital herpes breakout approximately 2-3 times a month.

I contacted genital herpes 2 1/2 years ago from my boyfriend. At the time my doctor told me as time went on I should have fewer and fewer breakouts but it has been the opposite for me. I am now having breakouts continuosly with about 5-7 days in between. I take 6 valtrex over 3 days every time. It goes away but then returns. I am exhausted and have to sleep so much a day before I get the breakout. The pain is bad until I have taken 2-3 valtrex. Why do I keep getting these? I am still with my boyfriend and he has never had a breakout but when tested in the beginning he had the antibodies and I had none.
Tags: Herpes
How did they initially diagnose you as having genital herpes?

Have you b een back recently for any testing like for other infections?

grace
Thank you for asking. I have not been back but it is exactly the same as when it first began other than they are much more frequent. I had blood test and swab test after the initial breakout.
I also contracted from my Fiance who never showed any signs of any outbreaks before I came down with it.  I have found that keeping L Lysine in my diet on a daily basis helps dramitacilly!!!  With this, and a healthy diet and avoiding other triggers, I have not had to be on Valtrex, but keep it for emergencies.  Look at your diet, stress level, sleep, etc.  
My quetion says I have two comments but can only find one. How do I find the other, or does that include my original question?
Thank you Julie...I will try that. It seems to be consuming my life and is very depressing to say the least. I am being treated for hyperparathyroidism which is to much calcium in my blood but don't think it is associated in anyway.
Lysine is something we all get naturally in our diets. For most folks, supplementing with it doesn't significant reduce ob's. It's not something we recommend here because you have to take it 3x/day in order to show any significant reduction in ob's, we don't know if it has any effect on shedding or not and because it just doesn't work as well as the herpes antivirals.

At this point cheryl you need to go back and be seen and get properly evaluated. You need your vaginal secretions tested for yeast and bacterial infections too. BV especially is a known trigger for herpes obs and can also mimick them.  If it' s not all herpes going on, you can't get things calmed down.

As far as ob's decreasing over time, well, unfortunately not for everyone.  At this point I also recommend that you switch to either valtrex suppressive therapy - taking 1 pill a day to help ward off ob's or if your insurance doesn't make it  affordable, switching to acyclovir 400mg 2x/day which even without insurance is still under $20/month in the US at most pharmacies.  That way you are taking your herpes out of things so that if you are still getting ob's more often, you and your provider know that it's more than just herpes going on so that they will initiate a more thorough work up to try to figure out what is going on.  And yes, having hyperparathyroidism can trigger herpes to be more active since it affects so many intricate mechanisms in your body. Suppressive therapy should help combat that too until your medication gets things back under control.

Hang in there  :)

grace
I'm going through the same thing. I got it last year, doctor presciped me acyclovir I have 3 breakouts at the moment. Its the worse my boyfriend has it to, but yet I've only seen two breakouts it the 3 years we been together. Its horrible, I stressed out so much. I cry about it. What can I do to not get breakouts.
how are you treating your herpes?

if you are having more ob's now, have you been to your provider for a proper exam to make sure you don't have other things going on like vaginitis?

grace
I got a pap done, everything was fine.. I'm treating my herpes by taking acyclovir... What I don't understand is how my bf doesn't get the breakouts. He has the virus but I don't know what's wrong,
odds are that you rbf is getting ob's but just not recognizing them as such. Only about 20% of folks with hsv2 are truly asymptomatic in their infections - the other 80% who think they aren't having symptoms, just don't recognize them as such.

I recommend going back to your provider for more testing .  A pap test isn't a test for everything.  How often are you getting ob's? How ar eyou taking your acyclovir?

grace
i went today, he send me on therapy, for 6 month take acyclovir 400 mg bid. he says im under alot of stress and weight loss and it causing me the breakouts. i get them about 4 times a month. several breakouts at once. ive gotten std test done, ect, everything came out neg exept for hsv2. im hoping breakouts can go away, my provider said berrys are good for my imunne system and may control the breakouts...
what u think
did they do any further testing  like examining your vaginal secretions for yeast and bacterial infections and such?

4x/month most likely isn't just herpes going on and requires a very thorough work up to be done.

If you are still getting symptoms after a week or two on acyclovir, definitely go back and get more work done ( perhaps even with a different provider ).

No, eating berries doesn't help with herpes.  Immune "boosters" don't seem to reduce ob's either.  

grace