How did I get it?

I posted a few weeks ago, but I'm back now, after my boyfriend has just gotten his test results back and all were negative.  

I tested positive for HSV-1 about a month ago.  I had a fairly mild outbreak, of about 4 sores (on the far side of my rectum).  I went to the doctor immediately.  She cultured the sores and I also had blood work done.  The culture was positive for IGM, and the doctor said that it was definitely a recent infection.  Here's where it gets confusing.  I have only been with him, and only one time in January (we had a short break), and on that day, which was 17 days prior to my innitial breakout, we had no oral sex, and used a condom.  I don't even remember there being any sort of contact in that area.  

The thought never crossed my mind that his HSV-1 test would come back negative, and because of this, it makes me look like a liar and I'm really embarrassed about the whole situation.  When I found out that I had it, I told him immediately and he understood that I had to have gotten it from him.  He is now questioning me, and I'd be doing the same, but I don't know what to do.  Is there a chance that either one of us had a false negative or positive?  Has anyone heard of this happening before?  I am the most faithful, careful person.  This seems completely wrong.  I've never had a cold sore or anything like that, so the thought of me giving it to myself doesn't make sense either, especially since it was the primary.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have herd that the igm is not accurate at all.  get the igg test.  how did you originally get tested for hsv1?  How long have you and your boyfriend been together or having sex and such?  since the igm is not accurate, it is very possible that you had had it for a while.
did your boyfriend take an igg blood test or did they just kinda look at his parts?
Hi rwonder,

I am going back for the IGG test this week.  We've been together since October and I've not been with anyone else since.  He got blood work done, both for HSV1 and 2, and he had the IGM and IGG test done and all were negative.  I hadn't heard that the IGM tests weren't always accurate.  My doctor didn't seem to think that was the case, but who knows.  The whole situation has me perplexed.